Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK. Here's the deal.
I'm thinkin I'm gonna send the slide of one of my Xd's to Springfield, to get the Black-T finish put on. I wanna keep my new Xd as new as possible for as long as possible. I already keep Armadillo on it to keep it from rustin....so far so good, but it's more grey than the jet black that I like.
When it comes back I was gonna try to get the lettering and everything red.
Are these "markers" a pain in the ass to use?? It says to wipe off excess....is it gonna be alot? I have a problem with my nerves, and my hands constantly shake....so I'll be upset if I get red stuff all over the place.
Any advice would be appreciated.
Course I'm kinda stuck in figurin out what I wanna do....spend the money on a new hella badass finish...or save up for another XD!
Note to james....a demo would be coo!

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
A crayon??? What the heck is up with that

·
Registered
9,947 Posts
Matt since the crayon is basically wax it fills in like any other inlay it is the cheapest and easiest removed. You can also use a colored pencil which is a little bit more durable and still easy to remove and inexpensive. A bottle of red model paint will also fill in the grooves take a needle and apply the paint only in the grooves.

The inlay stick is basically a laquer paint and dries flat red. Basically you peel off the crusty hard layer from the tip of the stick. Then rub the compound in the grooves. It will look like a mess at first but then take a regular piece of writing or typing paper and rub it across what you just did. Dont press real hard just rub it flat across. The point it to remove the excess not whats in the groove. Keep using a clean peice of paper. Then put some mineral oil or something like rem oil eezox ect and rub a little of the oil over the sheet and clean off the outside of the pistol. You now should be good to go.

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Already too complicated for me :?
Crapola :cry:

·
Registered
146 Posts
The crayola method I used was similar. Go around grooved lettering in a circular motion. Rub off excess with a cloth, I actually used an old cotton sock to do mine. Repeat until you have it all filled in.

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
A crayon hmm....just kinda rub it in the letters? Will the wax stuff stay on even after cleanin?

·
Registered
146 Posts
Mine lasted perfectly through two at least as well as about 300 rounds at the range. Worse case scenario is you go back over it.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Something I did find out is that the older the crayon, better your results. I went thru some old school stuff from FOURTH GRADE (I'm 22, you do the math) and it stayed on at least 3-4 times as long as the newer crayons I've used. The newer ones seem to melt easier especially on the top Croatia etching.

·
Registered
381 Posts
ampleworks said:
Something I did find out is that the older the crayon, better your results. I went thru some old school stuff from FOURTH GRADE (I'm 22, you do the math) and it stayed on at least 3-4 times as long as the newer crayons I've used. The newer ones seem to melt easier especially on the top Croatia etching.
I'm 26.. I don't HAVE any of my crayons from back then. They all became works or art for the fridge or mid morning snacks.

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hmm...will red crayon show up pretty good on the black?
White isn't my color.
I'll prolly put yellow on my o.d one.....kinda like the yeller letters on ammo boxes
So I get a crayon....rub it IN the letterings, or kinda all around and everywhere?
Do I need to get it hot?
Please forgive me for so many posts for such a silly topic, but I really want it to look "professional" and will be pissed if I screw it up.
I don't have much patience sometimes.....damn women will do that to ya :roll:

·
Registered
8,970 Posts
Take a crayon, whatever color you want. Color over the inlay portion of the slide, in a circular motion. Once you have a good layer of wax, rub of the excess with a soft cloth, buffing quickly. Repeat this process until the wax fills the etching. By buffing quickly, you cause friction, inturn a little heat which will help the wax setup.

Once complete, add a layer of Armadillo over your slide. That's it!

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I figured I would practice a little bit with my mags.
The pics are kinda hard to see, but ya get the idea.
Now I can see em better than the stainless....

·
Registered
68 Posts
A buddy of mine has an engraving shop where he does name tags among other things. The engraved letters are paint filled. I had him do some experimenting on my XD. Now the logo on top of the slide, XD on one side, XD-9 on the other, and Springfield Armory are all filled with gloss white. My front sight is filled with yellow to distinguish it from the rear white dots better.
Sorry, haven't got any pics yet.
He puts a dot of paint on his finger and rubs it into the engraved part, and lets it dry a little, then takes a q-tip dipped in a citrus based cleaner and cleans the excess off the slide.
So far the paint on mine has stood up to sweat, wd-40, nitro solvent, and Rem-oil. I'll try to remember to get the name of the paint from him, it comes in small, like 1 oz. tubes.

·
Registered
320 Posts
I keep seeing those sight paints that look pretty damn bright and thinking those would be optimum if you're looking to paint it on. Plus, they come in a bunch of (very bright) colors.

-=Whittey=-

1 - 20 of 20 Posts