Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all. Im fairly new to the springfield brand, and recently purchased a springfield xdm 45 compact. I read a lot online about these different methods to color fill a gun, and i figured the crayon method was the easiest and most accessible. I did it, it worked, but the quality didnt seem to be good enough with the color i wanted. So, i went to michaels and picked up some testors fluorescent green paint (I want this to be a "zombie" themed gun). I painted on 2 coats, let it dry, and then removed the excess with mineral spirits. Honestly, IT LOOKS GREAT!!! Its as if this was factory done. Any thoughts, comments or questions?

The logo on the mag is currently drying. Pics later

·
Registered
63 Posts
So what'd you do, just paint the area, then clean it off with mineral spirits? No razor blade or scrapping? I gotta try this if it's that easy.

Oath Keeper

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So what'd you do, just paint the area, then clean it off with mineral spirits? No razor blade or scrapping? I gotta try this if it's that easy.

Oath Keeper
Yes. Heres what to do:

Materials: rubbing alcohol, mineral spirits, testors enamel paint (about 50 colors to choose from), testors paint thinner, fairly small paint brush, old shirt or makeup remover pads

1. Clean area with rubbing alcohol and let dry
2. Add a small bit of thinner to the paint to give it more liquidity and shake well
3. Dip the brush tip in the paint to get a drop on it and touch it to the engraving. The liquid will fill the area. Brush the rest on. Do not do a heavy coat. The more you use the harder it is to remove
4. Let the first coat dry for 15-20 minutes. Some people do only one coat. I did two just for longevity. If youd like to do two, brush on another light coat.
5. Some people say the next step can be done after 20 minutes. For best results, give it at least 3-4 hours to cure. The longer you give it the better it works. Take an old shirt or some make-up remover pads, coat them with a small amount of mineral spirits, and VERY lightly rub over the painted area. Do not apply pressure as it can remove the color in the engravings. Use paitience with this step. It takes a few minutes
6. Wipe off mineral spirits and clean lightly with your favorite cleaner (clp for me) to remove mineral spirit residue. Try not to use the gun for the next day or two as the full cure time is 48 hours
7. VIOLA!!!

·
Premium Member
128,000 Posts
I don't like it, but then you didn't ask for my opinion.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I have a few XD's, but only 2 are on my CCW. All my guns are black on black. Sometimes they get put too close to the others in my safe and get mixed up. Now I'm checking serial numbers before I can grab one and go. I think this might be a great way to mark those two.

Oath Keeper

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have a few XD's, but only 2 are on my CCW. All my guns are black on black. Sometimes they get put too close to the others in my safe and get mixed up. Now I'm checking serial numbers before I can grab one and go. I think this might be a great way to mark those two.

Oath Keeper
Definitely. They also make some awesome fluorescent colors (orange, red, green, etc.) so they'd be easy to identify

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
OP, damn man, Super nice job! Looks awesome :eek:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Used testor's as well, but found out you need to be careful when cleaning. Ended up brushing out some of the color fill and now have to re-do it.

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Has jt stood up to cleaning solvents?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Mine has. You have to take into account that a FULL cure time is around 7 to 10 days for enamel. Once its dried though, its on there

·
Registered
63 Posts
My wife saw this thread. I woke this morning and she did this. Used teal nail polish. Turned out good.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1415562590.129959.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1415562605.286434.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1415562619.772710.jpg

Oath Keeper

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Looks awesome. Im glad this thread made its way out there. Its such an awesome and easy modification that makes a huge aesthetical difference

1 - 20 of 27 Posts