Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well guys after reading about how some folks colored their lettering with crayons. I decided to give it a go. Hell...what's .93 cents amd two pieces of paper??

Things you need for the crayon method.
Oil
2 pieces of paper
Crayon of your choice

First off remove and then disassemble your slide.

After removing and disassembling your slide
Grab your crayon and start a coloring, reminesce about the old days in preschool and your 1st true love, Sally, the one you shared your mint scented paste with.

Go ahead and get a good build-up of wax on there. Don't worry it'll come off.

Once you've realized how it'd never work out with you and Sally do to time constraints, unequal sharing of mix scented paste, and her looking at the other boys grab you a piece of paper. Tear it into quadrants and start rubbing away all the excess.
It'll start looking something like this

Now once you figured out that this method removes some excess but not all of it, grab your oil and add a dab to a clean piece of paper and go back to rubbing. I feel dirty saying that I rubbed my piece raw :lol:
Now blow away ALL the excess wax pieces, you don't want that crap in your firing mechanism. Once done give her a once over with a terry cloth and more oil and VIOLA!
Le Fin'

Now...some of the things that I ran into were:
#1 Not enough wax, when you think Sally would think it's enough.....add more.
#2 Don't rub hard.....use the paper to your advantage as a cleaning agent, not a scrubbing brush. When you scrub it takes out small bits, notice my "Springfield Armory" lettering on the slide??
#3 I question the durability of this, so I am going to run 100 or so round through her tomorrow and see what happens.

If it doesn't work out well, then I will repeat the process, but with colored pencils instead.

Isn't coloring fun??

·
Registered
157 Posts
mine did good for awhile but then some rust started working thru and had to take it off.....but it looks nice.....

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
Yeah, I've been doing this since I got my XD last December. Since then I've only replaced the crayon twice; both times I let it go till it started getting kinda bad. If I'd been really worried about looks, I'd say I would have had to reapply one more time. It's actually due for one now.

You'd be surprised how durable the crayon inlay technique is, even with shooting and carrying.

·
Registered
6,551 Posts
I did the same thing in white to my XD-9 subbie a few weeks ago. I want to test silver next to see what looks best. I think it makes the XD look sharp. Although, I wouldn't enhance your serial number. I would think you'd want to NOT highlight that.

One question: How do you remove the crayon once it's on there, other than letting it wear off? Just curious. I can wait for it to wear off if needs be. I'm in no hurry.

FYI: Once you find a "regular" color you like, you can make it permanent by going to http://www.xd-hs2000.com/gunsmithing.html and scrolling down to the 2nd item, the Lacquer Stick Colored Inlay. It comes in Black, Red, Silver, and White. Withstands temps to 500°F! Got my silver one a few days ago. :D

I'm doing the silver lacquer stick on my girlfriend's gun, because I had Rich of Canyon Creek gun-kote the slide in blue, and the parts in silver. Look at R/T Performance's pix of his XD. It's sweet. That's what my girlfriend's gun will look like later tonight after I get it done.

Well, happy coloring, and remember: stay inside the lines! :shock:

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
dave_in_delaware said:
One question: How do you remove the crayon once it's on there, other than letting it wear off? Just curious. I can wait for it to wear off if needs be. I'm in no hurry.
Toothpick, Toothbrush and CLP! :)

·
Registered
169 Posts
dave_in_delaware said:
I did the same thing in white to my XD-9 subbie a few weeks ago. I want to test silver next to see what looks best. I think it makes the XD look sharp. Although, I wouldn't enhance your serial number. I would think you'd want to NOT highlight that.

FYI: Once you find a "regular" color you like, you can make it permanent by going to http://www.xd-hs2000.com/gunsmithing.html and scrolling down to the 2nd item, the Lacquer Stick Colored Inlay. It comes in Black, Red, Silver, and White. Withstands temps to 500°F! Got my silver one a few days ago. :D

I'm doing the silver lacquer stick on my girlfriend's gun, because I had Rich of Canyon Creek gun-kote the slide in blue, and the parts in silver. Look at R/T Performance's pix of his XD. It's sweet. That's what my girlfriend's gun will look like later tonight after I get it done.

Well, happy coloring, and remember: stay inside the lines! :shock:
DO NOT use silver crayon. instead of rubing out, it smears and sticks into the metal. trust me.

i did this last night

·
Registered
6,551 Posts
brandon14295: Thanks for the tip on the silver Crayon. I'll avoid that color. I guess it has a slightly different composition than regular (non-metallic colored) crayons. Did you use a white Crayon on your gun? That's exactly what mine looks like (minus the serial in white, too) right now.

mr0w1: Thanks for the tip. I didn't think of toothpicks. Duh! What's CLP?

I might just use the silver lacquer stick I got on the logo on the top of the slide, and leave everything else plain for now. I don't know yet.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Palmetto said:
Hey RoughnTough,
Thanks for the "How-To".
I appreciate the time and effort that went into your post.
No problem bro.

I think I am taking to red off my gun tomorrow and doing white.

I'll do another pictoral with colored pencils to see how that works next.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Looks good, too bad i have a SS slide

·
Registered
5,705 Posts
CLP is Breakfree cleaner: Cleaner-Lube-Preservative=CLP. You can buy it in any gun store and even Wal Mart. It has been around for years. I have used it to clean all my weapons, even duty weapon. Good stuff.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
I prefer white color and have yet to even need more than one crayon and I've been doing this for probably 12 months now.

I've only ran into issues with the crayon wanting to smear, not run, when firing in excess of 300 rounds as fast as I could do so using five 10 round magazines, even then it wasn't bad.

I don't see a reason not to do the serial number, the cuts on it are quite deep and you can get a very sharp looking inlay on it compared to the rest of the gun. More people will notice it and wonder what you did to your gun since its twice as bright as the rest of your inlay.

Its amazing to see the look on someone's face when I tell them I used a Crayola that I had in the grammar school to do that! :wink:

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
I found it fun to do such thing since it's not permanent.
I'm wondering which brand of crayon works better as far as brightness etc.
Crayola worked fairly decent, but were new crayons.....I'm wonderin how some other brand works. Like "rose art" i think it is.

·
Registered
543 Posts
There used to be a product on the market years ago, maybe 20 years, that was called "Bonanza Gold".

The kit consisted of a cleaner, a lacquer, and a gold powder (bronze I'm sure).

You'd clean the area, add some of the clear lacquer, then add the bronze powder. After a few moments, wipe off the excess. A patch slightly dampened with the cleaner could be used if required.

I used this product on my S&W Model 43 aprox. 20 years ago and it still looks good.

I imagine you can obtain bronze or aluminum (silver) powder at a good art supply store.

Give it a try.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I just did mine in silver. Looks sharp. I had problems with smearing when I rubbed it with a piece of paper, so I rubbed it with paper towel (brawny I think) and I have no smearing problems. I think the silver looks good, as its not too bright. It looks kinda like the bluing only lighter.

·
Banned
17 Posts
Anybody give their crayoned XD a light coat of clear wheel coating? Not sure how well this would hold up, but after reading this thread and looking at a can of clear wheel coating by Dupli-Color setting here............

1 - 19 of 19 Posts