Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

Not much of a knife guy, but I noticed all these cold steel daggers, push knives, and darts at my LGS. there extremely cheep... Like under 15 bucks cheap some of them. What's the deal with these things.... Any good or junk?

·
Registered
589 Posts
The cheap stuff is quite good. I'm less fond of their more expensive stuff, but have been very happy with the value per cost of their less expensive items. I say go for it!

·
Registered
265 Posts
I don't know about any of their other products but I love my cold steel ak-47. I carry it most of the time and beat the heck out of it for the last few years and its still going strong.

·
Registered
6,314 Posts
The cheap stuff is quite good. I'm less fond of their more expensive stuff, but have been very happy with the value per cost of their less expensive items. I say go for it!

I could not agree more. Anything they make that's around $30 or less is a good value. The more expensive you get, there are generally better options.

I have a few of the "bushman" knives, some small cheap knives, and the e-tool they make, which I absolutely love. Beats the hell out of a USGI folding e-tool.

·
Registered
8,566 Posts
I've always seen Cold Steel as a little mall ninja-y....just watch their demo videos....

·
Registered
2,381 Posts
I have a Cold Steel stilleto in my bedside safe. Very happy with it. Good quality for the price.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Over the past year or so, I have really grown a lot of love for Cold Steel knives. In that time, I have purchased a 4" Recon-1 tanto with a combo edge, an XL Recon tanto, Kobun (car knife), SRK (my BOB knife), kukri machete and a SK5 Trailmaster (camping/hunting knives). I feel that they are all spectacular quality for the price paid. My recon-1's are my EDC knives. I ordered a combo edge XL Voyager tanto yesterday, and it is due to arrive sometime next week from Amazon. I'm interested to see how the Voyager series stacks up against the Recon-1's.

·
Premium Member
1,608 Posts
my POV on cold steel and MTAC is that you will not feel bad about using them to do their job as you would a $300 knife but at the same time you will not trust them as much as a $300 knife. i normally keep on of each (or more) in my bad while i hike and camp.

·
Registered
7,066 Posts
Still using my ti-lite and have my safe keeper 2 in my car. I seen Lynn @ the NRA convention, he was doing something with a pair of tomahawks, lol.

·
Registered
198 Posts
I like their products. I have an XL Voyager and a Kobun that I really like. Good knives for the money. I wouldn't spend the cash for the high priced knives however. YMMV. tom.

·
Registered
498 Posts
For the money, it is a phenomenally, exceptional folder. The only problem that I had with it was that the blade was fully chisel ground. I hate chisel ground blades. Additionally, the tanto tip was not properly ground at the transition between the two edges. I re-profiled the edge within about ten minutes, froglubed the blade to prevent future rusting and stropped the edge to scalpel sharpness. Now, this is a seriously bad-a$$ blade. For ~$40 shipped, you can't beat it. I don't think anyone can beat this knife for the price paid. I am blown away by this thing.

·
Registered
498 Posts
I like their products. I have an XL Voyager and a Kobun that I really like. Good knives for the money. I wouldn't spend the cash for the high priced knives however. YMMV. tom.
I love my Kobun too, but I wish the sheath didn't dull the edge on my blade. I am seriously anal about my blade edges. The blade on my Kobun needs to be stropped again after every three or four draws. It bugs me, but I keep the blade in my car, so it is rarely used.

·
Registered
198 Posts
I love my Kobun too, but I wish the sheath didn't dull the edge on my blade. I am seriously anal about my blade edges. The blade on my Kobun needs to be stropped again after every three or four draws. It bugs me, but I keep the blade in my car, so it is rarely used.

I wish they had a leather sheath like the original Tantos had but hey, the price was right. tom.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Pass!!! Recon is nice, Ak47 is hype...So many better options out there.

Even at $15 spend a little more for a (used) Spyderco Tenacious, or get an Opinel or even a cheap Enlan if you have to go there!

·
Registered
19,923 Posts
I've always seen Cold Steel as a little mall ninja-y....just watch their demo videos....
Pff those are comedy!

The two cold steel items I own (war hammer and Vietnam hawk) have been everything and more than I could ask for put of what I paid for them.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I've had zero problems with any of my Cold Steel pokers... not saying they are the nicest or the prettiest, but they function well.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Got a Cold Steel Taipan last year and I think it is a pretty darned nice knife. Overall quality is definitely top of the heap and it stays sharp even through heavy use.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Recon 1s are beasts, especially for the price. I abuse the hell out of mine and they are still good knives. Had a voyager, which I liked a lot but lost it at work before I was able to really put it through the ringer. I have a GI tanto and a kobun and they are both useful tools.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts