Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
alright im down to two hawks. i would like to eventually get a legit tomahawk like benchmade's but funds are low. ive narrowed it down to the cold steel trench hawk and the SOG tomahawk, but im wondering which one to get...looking at youtube videos and crap like that...i figured out i like how the SOG's blade fits into the handle more than the cold steel, but i like the cold steel blade more than the SOG blade. i know both are 'budget' tomahawks but if any of you guys own either one or both and could give me some insight i would be thankful.

also the way the SOG blade fits makes me think it would be easire to make a custom wooden handle, which is something i might do down the road

·
Registered
8,351 Posts
When I have time ill send you links to some good tomahawk makers. Solid stuff for not to much money. But for the ones you listed I think the cold steel is better.

Sent from my HTC Vision using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
I like the Cold Steel but mine is the 'trail hawk'. Living here in Alaska I use my hawk A LOT. I also like the aspect of the hard wood handle. IF it should break, I can make a new one. That's an important consideration for me. It's light weight and stays razor sharp. I use it on game animals as well as any type of camp chore it's needed for. Simply put...It's rugged and it works. And, if I should loose it in a river crossing or sliding down a mountain.....I'm out what? $25 bucks? The one thing I do do is take the black laquer off and 'brown' the metal. Looks very nice and doesn't rust.

·
Registered
791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I like the Cold Steel but mine is the 'trail hawk'. Living here in Alaska I use my hawk A LOT. I also like the aspect of the hard wood handle. IF it should break, I can make a new one. That's an important consideration for me. It's light weight and stays razor sharp. I use it on game animals as well as any type of camp chore it's needed for. Simply put...It's rugged and it works. And, if I should loose it in a river crossing or sliding down a mountain.....I'm out what? $25 bucks? The one thing I do do is take the black laquer off and 'brown' the metal. Looks very nice and doesn't rust.

yea man thanks, i bought the trehcn hawk..a little too long but not by much and not a problem, but its a darn good hawk and i plan on making a wodden handle for it. but my next hawk im eyeing up the rifleman's hawk...really think i should have went with one of those first but owell...

·
Registered
8,351 Posts

·
Registered
791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I forgot i was supposed to come back with links that im still trying to find. Here is a good forum for AX info.

Axe, Tomahawk, & Hatchet Forum

gooooooooddd call...glad the trench hawk didnt cost too much cause my next purchase will deff be something a little more versatile...still leaning towards a more 'native' approach tho...ordering a blank blade and doin the rest myself...any pointers?

·
Registered
4,676 Posts
I've got a SOG tomahawk. I keep it in my BOB most of the time.

I like it a lot, and have used it when camping. It's small, light weight, sturdy, and easy to pack in a back pack, or carry on your hip. The blade keeps a good edge, and is easy to sharpen, and is a good multi-tool. While not an ideal replacement for a hatchet, when it comes to chopping wood and kindling for fires, it does get the job done, and is a lot lighter than a hatchet. It works great for pounding stakes and pegs into place, and the pick is very useful for digging out fire pits. I've had fun throwing it, too, and think it would be a good SD weapon, if needed.

The other tomahawks are probably good, too, but the size and weight of the SOG, combined with toughness, make it my choice.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts