Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7,507 Posts
Safe? Yes. But aside from enabling you to spend more $$ per shot, why?

·
Premium Member
16,428 Posts
If you're asking about the powerball or the JHP then save your money it's not worth it.
The only light .45 that would be OK would be the 165gr DPX from Corbon. Even with this one there are better choices from Winchester or ATK.

·
Premium Member
1,626 Posts
You sure do want to piss-off a bear. If you are insisting on using a 45acp as backup, at least go with the heaviest solid flatnosed bullet you can get. You need penetration to reach anything vital on a bear.
For occasional use, like as a backup, look at 45Super in 230 or 255gr. NO HP or light stuff. A flat-nosed is the best compromise on penetration and maybe some expansion.
If you know you are going to encounter bear, like you are going after them, get a better (higher) caliber weapon. For the 'maybe' encounter and no other choice of weapon than 45, go with a load of 45Super. A limited number of shots will not harm the pistol. Add some extra power mag springs and if it's a 5" barrel get a heavier recoil spring and make sure the ammo functions in your pistol without any problems. Shoot at least a box.

·
Registered
7,507 Posts
Bears? Leave the .45 at home and buy a LARGE can of bear spray. Hand guns will piss off bears, spray will chase them off. If you want the bear to leave without eating you then use the spray.

·
Registered
4,448 Posts
Bears? Leave the .45 at home and buy a LARGE can of bear spray. Hand guns will piss off bears, spray will chase them off. If you want the bear to leave without eating you then use the spray.
He said its for backup, if he wounds a bear with a rifle, bear spray won't stop a charging bear!

I would not depend on a .45acp for backup on a bear, at least use a .44mag or better still a 500 s&w!

don

·
Premium Member
16,428 Posts
.45 ACP is not a good choice for a backup in this situation especially with such a light bullet.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I'd suggest sticking with the bear spray. I was briefed (when I moved to Alaska) that you can shoot a pissed off bear directly in the heart, blow the bear's heart to crap, and it will still come at you for 5 more minutes. Supposedly, they have found dead guys in the woods near a dead bear and an empty gun.

As far as using a .45 on a bear, I've heard its best to shave the front sight off so it won't hurt so much when the bear shoves it where the sun don't shine.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts