Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a question about Nickel boron vs normal coatings. Do you guys think the 40-50 dollar difference between normal coating and nickel boron BCG is worth it. I'm looking at a spikes tactical nib bcg vs a WMD nib bcg.

·
Premium Member
1,778 Posts
When I bought my ni b PSA BCG a weeks back it was on sale for $120 when its normally $200. For that price it was worth it and I'm glad I got it. Would I pay full price for it? probably not. Its easy to clean and I can get away with less oil but its not necessary. If you want to make your BCG easy to clean I guess the new go-to lube is Fireclean. I've never used it but its supposed to make carbon wipe right off.

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
I buy either nickel boron or chrome plated. Slicker, easier to clean, even though I lube them a lot, if I couldn't/didn't, they'll run longer with less lube.

I'm one of those guys who was taught (and believes) that my tools should be kept ready for the next use. That means I clean/lube them after use to make sure they are ready for the next use. The nickel boron and chrome bolts clean up easier/faster than the parkerized bolts.

When I come back from the range I may have 2 to 3 rifles to clean and 2 to 4 pistols. Anything that helps out/shortens the cleaning time helps me.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yea and It shows up nicely through the receiver that's nice I was worried about that on the nib bcg. Compared to the normal bcg from spikes.

·
Premium Member
9,171 Posts
Yea and It shows up nicely through the receiver that's nice I was worried about that on the nib bcg. Compared to the normal bcg from spikes.
Nope, not unless you get it for a really cheap price. It covers the imperfections in the steel just like chrome lining does. Once it is penetrated, it will come off. it is all about the coolness. Polish a standard BCG and it will be just as easy to clean. And don't talk about rust and such. Non of my Mosin, AK, SVD, SVT, SKSs have coated bolts and carriers and they don't rust. A good oil burnishing does wonders......

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So are you saying that the logo will wear off with time and that spikes tactical bcg are probably not a good brand of bcg to go with?

Sorry little confused about your post there einheit.

·
Premium Member
9,171 Posts
So are you saying that the logo will wear off with time and that spikes tactical bcg are probably not a good brand of bcg to go with?

Sorry little confused about your post there einheit.
Not at all. I am just talking about coatings in general. I don't use Spikes anything so I can't comment on any of their stuff. I have a hard time paying a premium for a name.

·
Premium Member
127,986 Posts
None of my Mosin, AK, SVD, SVT, SKSs have coated bolts and carriers and they don't rust. A good oil burnishing does wonders......
You got that right!

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
OK gotcha thanks both of you. I'm for sure going normal coating I'm pondering if getting the bcm bcg which is 169.99 vs the spikes at 129.99 is a better idea. Or just sticking with the spikes.

·
Registered
3,851 Posts
OK gotcha thanks both of you. I'm for sure going normal coating I'm pondering if getting the bcm bcg which is 169.99 vs the spikes at 129.99 is a better idea. Or just sticking with the spikes.
The bcm is my go to BCG. I like the logo (I'm a fanboy). But the main reason is, I have never had a failure with one. And they have VERY strong extractors. And if you are building a short sbr/pistol, they come with a spacer o ring that you can install that puts your extractor on freaking steroids.

Attachments

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I'm not going to lie I dig the logos on bcg idk why haha. Yea I did watch a video they keep the orig out. That is interesting to know. That you can put it in for better extracting. The video said it's not needed at all.

·
Premium Member
12,161 Posts
Not at all. I am just talking about coatings in general. I don't use Spikes anything so I can't comment on any of their stuff. I have a hard time paying a premium for a name.
Funny thing is when I jumped on the Spike's bandwagon, Spike's was the best deal on premium gear. I think it still rings true. Lots of happy Spike's customers out there, me included.

·
Registered
3,851 Posts
I'm not going to lie I dig the logos on bcg idk why haha. Yea I did watch a video they keep the orig out. That is interesting to know. That you can put it in for better extracting. The video said it's not needed at all.
Let me clarify. That o ring is only meant for VERY short barrels. You are wasting your time putting it in anything 10.5 and up. It's actually too aggressive in longer barrels. I keep it in my grip. I figure if I wear down my extractor springs (not likely), then I can throw it on in an emergency. It really isn't needed. If you actually compare a BCM spring to a standard spring the BCM is thicker and a tad longer, so you already have more than adequate tension.

·
Registered
3,851 Posts
But if you still need a BCG xdguru's noveske won't last long at 85 bucks!

1 - 20 of 34 Posts