Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, I am looking to purchase a CMMG M4 upper. 1:7 twist, 16" barrel. Does anyone know the cheapest place to get it shipped to my door?

Also, are all flip up rear sights created equal? I don't want to break the bank on one sight, but I also don't want a piece of junk. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
58 Posts
I can't say for certain this is the best price, but it is the best I have been able to find. AIM is running a 1 cent shipping deal on these, so the price basically includes shipping.

AIM CMMG .223/5.56x45 AR15 M4 16" Complete Upper Half CMMG .223/5.56x45 AR15 M4 16" Complete Upper Half

Might I suggest you consider a mid-length upper instead?

AIM CMMG .223/5.56x45 AR15 Mid Length 16" Complete Upper Half CMMG .223/5.56x45 AR15 Mid Length 16" Complete Upper Half

The barrel length (and therefore the overall length) is exactly the same as the M4 style upper, the midlength just extends the handguards and gas system by about an inch and a half. This makes for a smoother recoil impulse, as the M4 carbine length gas system can be rather violent. The mid-length gives the gas a little extra time to dissipate before blasting into the gas key on the bolt carrier, making for smoother extraction.

The M4 was designed with a 14.5 inch barrel for compactness. In the US, civilians are only allowed to have barrels 16 inches and over (in general, there is a legal channel to acquire short barrel rifles). The civilian M4s therefore have an extra 1.5" added to the barrel, leaving it a little out of proportion. The mid-length adds that needed 1.5" to the handguard and gas system, instead of just to the barrel that extends past the handguard. One other advantage of the mid-length is that since it brings the length of barrel beyond that handguard back to military spec, USGI bayonets can be used on a midlength, something that can't be done on a civilian "M4gery".

The one thing the M4 length has going for it is that there are a more railed fore-ends available in the M4 length, although a lot of companies are now making mid-length railed handguards as well.

The price is the same.

I bought a CMMG mid-length upper from AIM myself and assembled this rifle over the summer.-

·
Registered
58 Posts
As for rear sights (sorry, forgot about that in my other post...)-

Troy, ARMS, Larue, and Midwest Industries will all serve the average shooter quite well. The Midwest Industries is not quite as fancy, but it also costs less. I have had the opportunity to use one of the MI low profile flip up rear sights and am quite pleased with it's performance.

The non-low profile is slightly cheaper, but if you plan to add an ACOG to the rifle the low profile might be a better investment.

AIM Midwest Ind. Flip Up Dual Aperture Rear Sight Midwest Ind. Flip Up Dual Aperture Rear Sight

AIM Midwest Industries Low Profile Flip Up Dual Aperture Rear Sight Midwest Industries Low Profile Flip Up Dual Aperture Rear Sight

·
Registered
367 Posts
another place that sells CMMG complete rifle kit less the stripped lower receiver.

Parts Kits - FFE&

pretty good prices for CMMG.

·
Premium Member
16,913 Posts
or just get a 14.5 barrel M4 with permenantly attached flash hider, of course I'd go carbine length for less dirt in my reciever, but if its what you want to do the bayonet will work that way.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts