Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Premium Member
15,508 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So.... After that dumpster fire started by a train wreck caused by hobo sex.... Which we will not discuss... I got a Banshee 10mm.

20191207_211324.jpg

20191207_211501.jpg

So... Honestly fit and finish is pretty good. Not top shelf, but better than expected. Bit of play between upper and lower. Trigger is... OK I suppose... Weird thing, the safety is like the best safety I've ever felt on a AR. I put Bad ambis in everything... And this one is crazy nice operation. Still hate the GI levers. Little bummed I can't put a Troy ambi mag lever on.

20191207_211415.jpg

The "Rip Brace" is actually pretty nice. I considered others. Decided to find out first... Ya, it's a keeper. Very nice just pulling out no buttons. Solid, and nicer that rods.

It's nice to have a ambi CH. If you like large handles, you'll like this one. I don't care for it. Prefer smaller, less snaggy.

20191207_211426.jpg

OK... So I must be cursed to not have a 10mm PDW w/o problems. Just checking out, trigger is good, more I play, less impressed. I check reset. Yes there's a click... But also a weird cheap clunk. More annoying the more I hear it.

Hit the range, 4 mags flawless. Boringly flawless. What a joy to have an auto that feeds. It runs... Then, trigger no work. It doesn't reset. I have to flip safety on/off to get it to Reset. For the last few mags, constant problem.

I haven't taken a look yet, and I would be more irritated, if I didn't have a SSA-E showing up in the next couple days. Be putting Bad levers in too.

Can't stand the twang clank of buffer... Which is fine since I have a JP SCS on the way.

Shooting... Well... It's a shooter. The one that shall not be mentioned... Dump a Mag in one ragged hole. The Banshee... Well, still pretty mild. A bit more recoil, but it's still in a line. No muzzle rise really. I didn't think it would shoot as nice... It's not far off.

Yes there is more reciprocating weight, but it still stays on target pretty easy. The impulse... You can feel all the tungsten hitting end of travel. I have some ideas to try with buffers and springs.

Bottom line... Not super roller awesome, better than I thought. It's a keeper. Plus, we're not talking 300 mag, or even 44 mag... 10mm is plenty manageable.

Ya, love the 10mm, and really liking the banshee. The fact it's AR platform... Super maneuverable with a 8" barrel and a MRO. All in all... It's certainly worth it. I'm a fan.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
I want one. That thing looks sick.

I'm sure the trigger is just a cheap mil-spec unit. The one in my cheap AR build probably has a similar reset clunk to what you describe. I hate it. Then I get my DD with a Geissele out and relish the feeling of a crisp trigger. If you're changing it out for an SSA-E, I'm sure that'll make you fall in love with the gun all over again. Probably tighten up the group a bit too?

I think, even if someone were to show me a SP5(/10?) and this CMMG and said I could have one, I'd probably still pick the CMMG. Crazy talk, I know. I just love the way they look.

·
Premium Member
15,508 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I want one. That thing looks sick.

I'm sure the trigger is just a cheap mil-spec unit. The one in my cheap AR build probably has a similar reset clunk to what you describe. I hate it. Then I get my DD with a Geissele out and relish the feeling of a crisp trigger. If you're changing it out for an SSA-E, I'm sure that'll make you fall in love with the gun all over again. Probably tighten up the group a bit too?

I think, even if someone were to show me a SP5(/10?) and this CMMG and said I could have one, I'd probably still pick the CMMG. Crazy talk, I know. I just love the way they look.
Yes, the trigger not resetting is a serious problem... So that isn't acceptable pulling out of a box. But I don't really care to chase it down. I change out all my triggers. I have a SSA in my other one and with sale at Geissele can't say no.

I strongly considered getting the base 100 with all the parts I'm changing. The 200 basically doesn't have ambi, but has brace. Doing the math I decided to go with brace which I don't regret, and I paid $100 for bronze basically. But, being AR... You can use whatever Glock lower you want, and build out an upper, so lots of options. I didn't feel like building.

·
Premium Member
15,508 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So here's something odd... Like not real warm or fuzzy. I'm at the range, checking my brass... It's bulged. I'm not entirely sure, looks like it's not fully chambered, get home check things out.

20191207_231643.jpg

It's hard to get good pic... Yes round chambers to end of case. The bottom round sticks out for bolt, but the chamber is not tight to round at base... A few thousandths. I'm not saying it's wrong, it's obviously machined.

20191207_231830.jpg

20191207_232105.jpg

So there is clearly gas marks on case, then the line. The case is clearly bulged at base. It fills the void in chamber. I'm not sure of the point... Helps extraction? A little freaky. I don't reload, but if I did, I wouldn't want to reuse case.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
29,541 Posts
So here's something odd... Like not real warm or fuzzy. I'm at the range, checking my brass... It's bulged. I'm not entirely sure, looks like it's not fully chambered, get home check things out.

View attachment 727369
It's hard to get good pic... Yes round chambers to end of case. The bottom round sticks out for bolt, but the chamber is not tight to round at base... A few thousandths. I'm not saying it's wrong, it's obviously machined.

View attachment 727371
View attachment 727373
So there is clearly gas marks on case, then the line. The case is clearly bulged at base. It fills the void in chamber. I'm not sure of the point... Helps extraction? A little freaky. I don't reload, but if I did, I wouldn't want to reuse case.

Thoughts?
Nothing too worrying there.

And those could easily be reloaded if you use a full-length resizing die.

Nothing compared to what a fluted chamber can do...

·
Premium Member
15,508 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Nothing too worrying there.

And those could easily be reloaded if you use a full-length resizing die.

Nothing compared to what a fluted chamber can do...
Ya, it's a thing. Glock brass, 10mm brass, other know it in the CMMG.

Read an article looking for info... A guy on AR did some major tinkering trying to get a Guard to equal a MP5. Did a bunch of stuff, got it to where it was as good but not suppressed. Then messed with a fixed extractor setup and it was better than mp5 normal and suppressed. All subjective and way beyond swapping parts, just interesting everything that goes into operation and timing.

Overall... His thought, yes you can feel the weight, but it's pretty good... Some buffer setups made it worse. He tried the JP SCS and scrapped it.. Ruh roh....

·
Registered
19,918 Posts
That SSA-E might not work with it...

Sometimes the hammer and the PCC bolt carriers don't get along.

·
Premium Member
15,508 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well it's going to take a minute to fill my order from Geissele so no trigger yet. In the mean time I swapped in a Spikes Tactical battle trigger. MIL Spec that's NiB coated. It's clean. Got my BAD safety in. I polished it up a bit, feels nice.

So I was going to put a JP SCS in this. I was going to try the one I had first. Well one thing led to another which led to AR15.com... A guy has done some playing and now I'm interested..
So I'm going to try out a Vltor A5 buffer tube, kynshot hydro buffer, and Tubbs spring. Curious if I can get this runni g smoother.

And not that I think it's not smooth... I just want to see how good I can get it. Been burning through a lot of ammo... I let you know when I get my stuff and hit the range.

For more info, this guy has some really interesting stuff on his page.
CMMG Guard Info | C3Junkie

·
Premium Member
15,508 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well my buffer tube and kynshot buffer showed up today. My Tubbs spring is here. Honestly I'm looking forward to try it out.

It's getting there...
20191216_214451.jpg

20191216_214527.jpg

20191216_214505.jpg
Had to switch to M-lok. I really like the Cloud Defense tape switch holder, but the M-lok is so long it only fits 2 positions. Still works though. There are keepers you can route cord in under holder, but sometimes it just doesn't work out. I can't fit light and switch on same "rail" but I think I like this opposite side more.

I got a BCM Scout mount... WAY more secure than Arisaka... But the Arisaka is a lot more minimal.

I really think I'm digging the buffer tube/tail hook. It's not in the way with firearm like it is with collapsible brace closed, and long enough to work without extending. Low ready like from hip is really comfy/secure. And actual tail hook brace works really well open. It was a unknown, but I really think it's a keeper. The extra inch of the A5 helps. I think all it needs is a foam sleeve.

Overall it's just under 6.5 pounds w/o mag. Not bad at all with everything. In pistol form, it's a really nice package. Seriously, perfect truck gun.

·
Premium Member
15,508 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So one thing a little concerning... At the range, I've only put maybe 200 rounds through. The lugs on the bolt are really worn.
20191216_204206.jpg

20191216_204229.jpg

20191216_204254.jpg

20191216_204324.jpg

Sort of hard to tell, but cleaning, they are mushroomed /burs. They are kind of scalloped/gouged. The angles are critical for opening bolt, and no telling what they will look like after a couple thousand rounds. I'm going to have to ask CMMG about this...

·
Registered
19,505 Posts
So one thing a little concerning... At the range, I've only put maybe 200 rounds through. The lugs on the bolt are really worn.
View attachment 731383
View attachment 731385
View attachment 731387
View attachment 731389
Sort of hard to tell, but cleaning, they are mushroomed /burs. They are kind of scalloped/gouged. The angles are critical for opening bolt, and no telling what they will look like after a couple thousand rounds. I'm going to have to ask CMMG about this...
can you check the headspacing?

·
Premium Member
15,508 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Still waiting on response from CMMG. They already got back to me, but they are still looking... Got to the range with my new set up. Humm... So hard to say...

So I think the A5/hydro buffer set up is better. It does seem more "calm" than stock H3 arrangement. The hydro is silent like my JP SCS... Spring doesn't make much noise, but no buffer clacking around. So the setup is nice. Less rough edges.

Overall... It's just not as nice as the MP5/10...(that doesn't work) The MP, you felt the power of the 10mm. It's not a 22. It's a big bang. But the muzzle just stayed. Like I was a little suprised it wasn't softer, but the muzzle just stayed put.

So the Banshee... Well, you know it's a 10mm. You feel the moving weight. The muzzle moves a lot. And it's not just up... Like around, more to the impulse than just back/up??? It takes more work staying on target.

After a few boxes, end result is I can still make a giant grapefruit hole, just not as fast. Just forgetting nonsense and driving, it gets faster. The MP was just stupid easy.

Bottom line is its a keeper. It's more than reasonable. I'm splitting hairs here. I can't think of anything else out there that would run 10mm better. Oh, and this range trip, boringly flawless operation. Not one single bobble of any kind. The way it should be. Could have blown through mags all day. Got the barrel nice and hot.

I like the buffer tube tailhook set up. Easy, minimal. Not in the way, works great. It will take a couple more weeks for my SSA trigger. Need some fine tuning of positioning, but I think I'm done playing around. I think it's going to be put in service. Definitely a great truck gun, when it's not next to the bed.

·
Registered
29,541 Posts
I was up at Alex Pro Firearms (APF) the other day, nearly popped on one of their 16” .45 Carbines...under $1k, and really nice guys...they said that they don’t have issues with them, but if they do...bring it in, they make it right, whatever it takes.

Yeah, it’s blowback, but...it just might be the way I go. I kinda like the idea of only being an hour away from them.

PS: they make a 10mm...

·
Premium Member
15,508 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Good luck with it.
CMMG needs to step up their game on engineering and QA based on your comments.
Ya the trigger thing was odd, but never even looked at it. AR triggers are simple and 100%, so it can't be anything too bad. Most folks like the CMMG trigger and think it's better that Mil spec.

Mu NiB Spikes trigger I through in was 100%. My SSA already showed up and is in.

And the bolt... It's Christmas... CMMG so far has been very responsive. They were going to send my pics up... However, I inspected the bolt after my second range trip, and it didn't seem any worse. I'll keep an eye on things, and it might wear fast... But the concern I had for so much wear from fist use had been eased a bit since the second trip didn't yield same (bad) wear.

Big picture is overall its a great package and CS has been good to work with. I'm pretty happy with it. It's a bit more than other cheap blowback pistols thrown together, but it's worth the price difference.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts