Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was reading a thread on the AR forum about AR fads, and few people mentioned CMMG as being a one time fad. They said everyone used to own or want a CMMG, but that the company is no longer a major player in the AR business. I own a CMMG, so this obviously caught my eye. Anyone agree with these folks? Can anyone explain? I just started looking at ARs at the beginning of this year and CMMG was suggested as a great rifle, so it seemed strange to see others talking about this.

·
Premium Member
3,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
do you have a link or any details ?

What parts, finish, CQ, etc did they say CMMG was so far behind in terms of what?

I can try to find a link, but all that was said was "CMMG used to be on everyones list, and now it is looked at as a fad company". I think only one other person agreed, but no one spoke up to disagree either. The thread was about AR fads, so there were pages and pages.

Edit:

Found the thread. There are tons of pages so I'm not going to seek out the specific comments I'm talking about, but like I said, it was basically just that CMMG was a fad.

AK47.NET :: Forums :: AR fads?

·
Registered
516 Posts
Oh no another "the list" type thread from AFCOM. Best to just ignore these type of rants or sell everything and buy all Colt's. It's the only way to keep some of these guys happy. If you enjoy the CMMG thats the only thing that matters.;)

·
Premium Member
3,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just skimmed through the thread and noticed that CMMG was listed more than once as being a fad...

But I love my CMMG!

I can try to find a link, but all that was said was "CMMG used to be on everyones list, and now it is looked at as a fad company". I think only one other person agreed, but no one spoke up to disagree either. The thread was about AR fads, so there were pages and pages.

Edit:

Found the thread. There are tons of pages so I'm not going to seek out the specific comments I'm talking about, but like I said, it was basically just that CMMG was a fad.

AK47.NET :: Forums :: AR fads?

·
Registered
85 Posts
Yes, I've read serveral threads on ARFCOM about CMMG being a fad or "used to be the cat's meow". At one point they were considered a T1 group, now they are lucky to be bottom feeding at T2. ARFCOM is a fickle bunch though, so take this stuff with a grain of salt.

One reason they've "fallen" at ARFCOM is that it seems they have/had issues with their barrel threads being off and destroying your can if you added one. One poster over there really has it in for CMMG and never hesitates to go after them if the opportunity presents itself. They also "supposedly" had terrible customer service at one time.

·
Premium Member
3,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Although I haven't put many rounds through my CMMG middy, it has yet to have a failure of any kind and I still have not cleaned it. I liked the 1/7 twist and chrome lined barrel, so it seemed like a great choice for me. I know how the AR forum is, but I was just hoping to see if anyone here knew of any reason why someone would consider CMMG a fad.

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
I love my CMMG lowers and feel that they are comparable to RRA or any other middle of the road piece.

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
I think CMMG is a victim of their own success.

They were a small manufacturer that makes a great product and couldn't keep up with the demand.

They had some growing pains, mostly in customer service, I don't know if that makes them a fad or not. They aren't as hot of a name as they were a year or two ago.

But as long as they make a quality AR I'll continue to buy from them. Even in the middle of their supposed worst customer service they took care of me well and very quickly.

·
Registered
68 Posts
IMHO, at least in terms of specs, CMMG is improving not getting worse. There was a time when their guns were nothing more than rebadged DPMS crap. Now they are producing guns which, at least on paper, come very close to meeting the TDP.

I am making it a point to stop by and talk with them at SHOT. They are on my list of top 10 companies I want to speak with.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I have to laugh at the thought of a quality piece of hardware being a fad. I have a CMMG lower because that was what my local gun shop had in stock two days after the messiah was elected.

·
Registered
413 Posts
I think CMMG is a victim of their own success.

They were a small manufacturer that makes a great product and couldn't keep up with the demand.

They had some growing pains, mostly in customer service, I don't know if that makes them a fad or not. They aren't as hot of a name as they were a year or two ago.

But as long as they make a quality AR I'll continue to buy from them. Even in the middle of their supposed worst customer service they took care of me well and very quickly.
This.

I have 2 CMMG 16" AR's that I shoot the crap out of, and have had zero problems. Their customer service has always taken care of me so if they are a fad, I don't care.:grin::grin::grin::grin:

1 - 20 of 32 Posts