Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just started using Break-free CLP and this stuff makes a mess. I spray a tiny bit on and its runs everywhere. After every 4 trips to the range or once a month, I field strip it and I rub it on and it's ok. Otherwise I just run the bore-snake and lube it and that's when it gets messy. I have the can of CLP and I really don't spray the crap out of it. I just barely touch it and it pools up. What's the secret? :?

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Yeah, its a pain in the ass. There is no moderation when using CLP, its almost impossible to get just a dab. I ordered some gun butter for just this reason. I figure when I'm done w. the butter, ill just fill it up w. the CLP. It comes in a needle oiler so application should be easy.

·
Premium Member
3,601 Posts
Spray a small amount on a Q-tip and lube areas a little at a time.

·
Registered
401 Posts
That's why I stay away from lubes / cleaners in spray cans or bottles. It goes everywhere if you spray it on the gun. When forced to use a spray bottle I generally just hold a patch up to the nozzle to soak it.

·
Registered
595 Posts
The Tengu said:
Buy it in a drip bottle.
+1

Not a whole lot of anything negative can be said Breakfree products. I have used CLP for over 21 years. It cleans, lubricates and protects just as the name implies. The aerosol blast can is messy but I always use dripper bottle and Q-tip as already mentioned. You can also buy in a pint size non-aerosol spray to refill the dripper bottle with. Be sure to have a lint free cotton towel around to wipe of the excess. It won't harm your hands as some oils will, but don't swallow any of it.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Maybe it's just me, but that's exactly why I like it so much! Because it goes everywhere on/in the gun, you can pretty much assume that you're piece will be oiled up nice and good.

I know I'm overboard here, but every 300 rounds, I completely tear down my XDs and basically soak them in CLP......not dunk them, but thoroughly soak them down in it and just let them sit for a few minutes. I'll then use some patches and qtips to detail them and then put them back together, do a final wipedown with a ratty tshirt and load em up for the ready.

That's just me though :D

·
Registered
4,183 Posts
the drip bottle seems to go a long way, and that stuff its awesome.

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
I might clean mine too often. If that's possible. I go nuts if I don't tear mine down after even only one shot.....just can't stand the thought of all that black gunk in there for some reason.
I too soak em down with CLP and let em sit...usually over nite. Then I'll do the q-tip thing and everything. Then I'll let em sit some more to dry out a little bit. Followed up by some Gun Butter, and some Armadillo sometimes. Dependin on how much sweat and stuff it's came across.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts