Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious to see what any of yall though about the clip draw. I purchased one a while back and have had a hard time with it, being that i am left handed and there arent exactly a lot of places to put it, because it gets in the way of the slide release. Also, I carry with one in the pipe in my skyops holster, but do you think that there are any safety concerns when carrying locked and loaded with the clip draw, being that there is no trigger coverage. thanks

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
I don't like it for the reason you stated. No trigger coverage. It would suck to have a good grip thus deactivating that grip safety and have it get hung up on your bunched up boxers, then when you shove it back down in your effort to free the snag, have said boxers snag the trigger and put an extra hole or two in your backside.

·
Registered
224 Posts
I thought I've heard that in some areas it's illegal to carry like this (without a true holster). Seems a little iffy to me, especially with one in the chamber. I'd be a little afraid of accidentally lighting one off and losing some critical equipment... :p

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
A good way to get a Darwin Award. Clip draw is a dangerous gimick and does no better a job of concealing then a IWB holster. It is also much more dangerous.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
It''s no more or no less dangerous than a holster. There are stories of LEO's with their finger on the trigger and shoving the gun in the holster and shooting themselves in the leg. I've been carrying with a Clipdraw for about a year now. With the XD it's safer than most due to the trigger and grip safety. I haven't found an IWB yet that is comfortable on me. Granted, it's not for everybody. I don't have a problem with it. If you decide to try one, carry without one in the pipe for a while until you are comfortable. There are two threads from last year with pictures.

·
Registered
580 Posts
as a fellow lefthanded shooter...i don't see any GOOD way to use the clipdraw for you. as you stated, the slide lock would be affected.

from some of the responses about possibly shooting off "vital equipment" i'm guessing those are referrences to "mexican" carry. for me, that's the only truly concealable way for me to carry. if the idea of a gun near your "vital equipment" doesn't bother you...might i suggest the smart carry, or thunderwear idea. keeps it low, and available. its not for everyone, so try it first, if you can.

other than that...a good holster will probably do you better.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Cute pic one-eyed-fatman
I have one on my Star BM which has a manual Hi-Power like safety. I wouldn't do it on a Glock or XD
The only problem I had was I was practicing in 10 degree weather and the damn thing frozze up, popped off and hit me in the face. I just reatached it and now I don't let it get so cold.

·
Registered
116 Posts
nice craftmanship there one-eyed-fatman...have you thought of sending that away to get refinished? Ya know what would top your piece off..is a top of the line lighting system...I hear Bic makes a good one

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
No trigger protection = severed femoral artery when you need to draw in a hurry.

A clip draw came with my p3at; it now rests at the bottom of a wicker basket.

Ask delija if he would feel comfortable drawing with such a device when experiencing a massive adrenaline rush.

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
TomSwift said:
It''s no more or no less dangerous than a holster. There are stories of LEO's with their finger on the trigger and shoving the gun in the holster and shooting themselves in the leg. I've been carrying with a Clipdraw for about a year now. With the XD it's safer than most due to the trigger and grip safety. I haven't found an IWB yet that is comfortable on me. Granted, it's not for everybody. I don't have a problem with it. If you decide to try one, carry without one in the pipe for a while until you are comfortable. There are two threads from last year with pictures.
What can I say? Lots of cops have lousy gun handling habits, comes from complacency from handling guns so much. That is why you are supposed to index when you are not firing, especially when holstering. But what the hey? It is your cohones that will be splattered, carry anyway you like. Personally, I also prefer there to be leather between me and a hot gun barrel. I intend to holster after I am certain it is safe to do so if I ever have to shoot in self defense. Waiting for cops to arrive with gun in hand is a sure way to get shot yourself. But as I said, your preference.

·
Registered
388 Posts
I've been considering a ClipDraw as an interim measure while I await the arrival of my FIST K7. For $20, though, I don't think I can justify the cost. Perhaps I can try the cardboard and duct tape method...

I realized last night that the maker of ClipDraw is local to me (as is Fobus). I left a message with them today but haven't gotten a return yet. Maybe I can talk the guy down to $10 if I promise to pimp his wares on the forum. ;-)

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
NiK said:
No trigger protection = severed femoral artery when you need to draw in a hurry.

how is there no trigger protection?

everytime i carry mine like this my belt covers the trigger....just like holster.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts