Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I purchased my first pistol this summer... an XD .40 and a Klean Bore cleaning kit. I was just wondering if I could get some tips for cleaning. I didn't grow up with guns so I just thought I'd ask and make sure I'm not missing anything.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
Clean the end of the muzzle real good or it will look like it has nik's:lol:

·
Registered
531 Posts
dissasemble the XD into: Slide, Barrel, guide rode, and grip.
Run a copper brush once or twice from the breech of the barrel to the muzzle end. unscrew the brush once it comes out the breech. You dont want to pull it in and mar the rifling.
Run swabs wet with gun oil down the barrel until clean.
Wipe down the barrel with gun fluid.
Wipe down and tetra grease (USE VERY LITTLE, YOU DONT NEED MUCH) the guiderod.
Wipe down the slide inside and out.
wipe off the grease from the rails on the grip and reapply.
Reassemble and wipe down entire gun.

·
Registered
14,586 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,303 Posts
Get yourself a cheap tooth brush and some stainless steel dental picks. I dip the tooth brush in some Hoppes and brush away. For the stubborn stuff, I use the flat tips of the dental picks to lightly scrap the chunks away.

I use a metal brush down the bore to take some of the thicker build-up off and then run a bore snake down it a few times for that mirror finish. Dry everything off real well with patches. Look for any part that has wear from firing and lube with Militec.

I've never lubed the guide rod, but that might not be a bad idea. I've just never though of it.

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys it seem slike I'm pretty much doing everything right I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something!

·
Premium Member
17,523 Posts
I use Boresnakes on all my guns..:mrgreen:

Hoppe's 9 - BoreSnakes

I'd start with a nylon brush if you use one.
If that doesn't work try a BRASS metal brush.
Avoid the steel brushes..:cry:

And welcome to the forum Red82....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts