Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6,314 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, I was just cleaning my xd after a trip to the range tonight and wondered how long it takes all of you on average to clean your xd. While you're at it, what products do you use to make the process easier? I usually just use the Hoppe's variety of products, but once my current stock of that is burnt up, I'm going to use something else. I don't have an accurate time for how long it takes me to clean mine as I usually get distracted by one thing or another be it phone calls, the television, cooking dinner, etc.

·
Premium Member
3,955 Posts
Depending on how many rounds I put thru mine, the quickest clean is a BoreSnake and Hoppes 9. Hoppes 9 for the smell and tradition and the BoreSnake for damn that's fast.
I only worry about crud in the rest of the works if I think it is bad enough to be abrasive, or several hundred rounds. Just a couple of hundred and it may get to wait until after the next trip.
Still I usually wipe down the exterior, I am one of the no rust owners.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I clean my XD every single time after its been fired. A little Hoppes & a bit of Breakfree or FP-10 is all thats needed. I clean mine pretty serious and it takes about 30 minutes while watching TV. I wipe the exterior down daily with a RemOil rag. I too am a "no rust owner". :wink:

·
Registered
67 Posts
I wipe mine down with Rem Oil after most shooting sessions, and actually "clean" very seldom. When I clean I spray with automotive brake cleaner, followed by compressed air and then hose down with Rem Oil followed by compressed air to spread it into all the grooves and recesses. Keep most firearms locked in a quality safe with desicant and have had absolutely no rust problems.

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
It usualy takes me an hour or so. I clean mine every 500 rounds or so (read every range session). I use MPro-7 and CLP for all my clening/lubrication. Usualy field strip, scrub up barrel with MPro-7 and nyon brush and let it sit, Meantime I clean the slide and frame with CLP, toothbrush and compressed air. Then I go boack to the barrel with more MPro-7, bronze brush and patches. I inspect the barrel every several patches for residue and clean looking rifling. Final patches are CLP followed by dry patch. Then reassemble.

·
Registered
237 Posts
I clean mine after EVERY use so It doesnt take but about 20 minutes to clean it well. Wipe it down with rem oil and shes good to go.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Does anyone recondition their barrel before leaving the range. I don't know if it's needed for a pistol, but for a rifle, it's a good idea. If you don't know what I mean, it's when you clean your gun at the range and then run a few more rounds through to make sure it's going to hit where you aim it. With just a little bit of oil in the barrel, your accuracy could be of just a little. More than likely not enough to matter with a pistol, but just wondering.

·
Registered
31 Posts
One of the greatest lessons I learned over the years, both as a youngster all the way thru 20+ years in the Army, was; Take care of your weapon, clean it, know it, spend time with it just like it was your best friend, and in the end your weapon will take care of you. In short, I clean my XD40 the same exact way I clean my M-16A2, Beretta 9MM Mil version Duty side arm (for the Army), and my vehicles... I want them to last and work for me in the end :D

·
Registered
122 Posts
Break Free! I spend 5 minutes after every shoot and just spary the whole thing down and wipe with a clean cloth. Super easy, stays lubed, and no rust.

·
Registered
401 Posts
I use the time to relax and do the job right. I dont care how long it takes as long as I am happy with the result and I know the next time I load her up she will go bang.
mulder :D

·
Registered
50 Posts
I clean my XD after every trip to the range, probably takes me about 20 minutes. Although I never timed it. A little oil and wipe it down.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Is it just me or has anyone else noticed that the XD just doesn't seem to get as dirty as other weapons. Usually it me 45 min. to give a good cleaning to 1911, Glock, SIG etc but an XD takes 15.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Siriius_Lee said:
With just a little bit of oil in the barrel, your accuracy could be of just a little. More than likely not enough to matter with a pistol, but just wondering.
----------------------------------------------

i'm curious about that, as i've read other posts of people putting various substances in the barrel. i had always been told you never put anything other than the cleaning stuff-solvent, brush, patches-in your barrel. but, those that instructed me weren't the biggest gun nuts either, so now i'm thinking who knows. do people actually put lube or protectant in the pipe?

gimme a full report!

dn
cincinnati
xd40 service
xd9sc

·
Registered
375 Posts
mst3kguy said:
Siriius_Lee said:
With just a little bit of oil in the barrel, your accuracy could be of just a little. More than likely not enough to matter with a pistol, but just wondering.
----------------------------------------------

i'm curious about that, as i've read other posts of people putting various substances in the barrel. i had always been told you never put anything other than the cleaning stuff-solvent, brush, patches-in your barrel. but, those that instructed me weren't the biggest gun nuts either, so now i'm thinking who knows. do people actually put lube or protectant in the pipe?

gimme a full report!

dn
cincinnati
xd40 service
xd9sc
i believe i've stumped the list...

dn
cincinnati
xd40 service
xd9sc

·
Registered
6,314 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
no oil in the barrel? Anything on any of my guns that is metal or otherwise that experiences any sort of friction gets a light coating of oil.

·
Registered
401 Posts
I don't leave a heavy coating of anything in my bores.

Still, it's hard not to leave something behind in these days of CLPs and one-in-all lubes. The last two things down my barrels (rifle & pistol both) are a CLP soaked patch followed by a dry patch.

For the record, it takes me about 30 minutes to clean if I've been shooting lead, about half that if I've used jacketed ammo.

·
Banned
5,098 Posts
My cleaning habit depends on the gun. For my carry XDSC, I clean it thoroughly after every trip to the range. Hoppe's sovlent first, wipe down, Rem dry lube (reason explained later), then last wipe with Hoppe's oil. I'm bit OCD about the cleaning and use a variety of things to clean it with - bore snake, q-tips, toothbrushes, patches, etc. It takes me a half hour per gun, at least. I like it though, so the time flies. It seems my Dad's early role as my personal DI never wore off. I can remember being a kid and having him hand the gun back - "it's not clean. look at this. do it again and let me see it when you're done." Anyway, at least my wife loves when I come to bed smelling like solvent - not.

I use the Rem dry lube on it because I carry this gun daily and it gets quite hot where I live. I want to be sure that I get it on every possible spot that may be in contact with my body, like the grooves in the slide release. I then wipe it down with hoppes oil every other day (usually).

Big surprise - never had rust issues with any of my guns.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts