Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK I am a noob to handguns. I have cleaned mine with remington lub/cleaner all in one.... with a BORE SNAKE and clothes on the outside.

Can someone post a VIDEO on cleaning their XDM. What to look for, best cleaning supplies, etc. Also complete dismantling of the pieces to clean (i know most of the XDM is easy)

I think if someone does post a very good video that it should be STICKIED.

Thanks

·
Registered
233 Posts
I cannot do a video,or keeper post, but I can tell you a few tricks from experience . Clean inside the barrel and around and behind the extractor claw with Hopps #9 . Spray the frame and slide out with wd40 in the inside areas with the red wd tube. Get (odorless) mineral spirits and a container big enough to submerge the frame and slide . Shake around in the solution to degrease and rid the frame of pieces of factory plastic you will see come out from the inside of the frame and also gets gunk out of the slide striker area of the slide..
You can dry with a hair dryer or air dry. Lube the pistol VERY - lightly with just a couple drops where needed , and the outside of the barrel. I use FP10. De-grease and clean the mags and just lube the springs lightly only. These pistols do not like alot of lube so some lube on a q-tip on parts work. Normal cleaning after a range trip is wipe off the frame , clean the barrel and extractor. After 500 rds I usually do the above detailed cleaning. Everyone has their own system and should do what works best for them.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Go to the Springfield XDm website and you will find a Rob Leatham video on how to clean your XDm.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Make sure gun is empty!!! Dissasemble slide, guide rod, spring, barrel. Spray EVERYTHING with Break Free CLP LIBERALLY including bore. Clean the inside of slide with a nylon toothbrush. Get a plastic dental pick set from gun section at walmart. Put a patch on the end of a pick and get all of the dirt out of the slide. MAKE SURE TO GET RAILS!!! Do this until patch comes out spotless. Now wipe down the guide rod and spring with clean patches till they come out clean. Next, clean the frame as you did the barrel with the toothbrush, picks, and patches. Remember to clean the magwell too. BE CAREFUL!!! There are exposed springs and small parts that you could theoretically break off or bend. When the patches are clean set the frame aside. Now, run the boresnake down the barrel about 15 times (CHAMBER TO MUZZLE). I like to examine the bore before and after so I get a little sense of accomplishment. Make sure the feed ramp is SPARKLING clean as well. If not, take the nylon toothbrush to it and run the boresnake down the bore again after the feed ramp is clean (It should be shiny and silky smooth). At this point I reassemble and call it a day. However, I am considering starting to put a little RemOil on the rails and barrel. I'm not too convinced the CLP is the best for lubricating these parts. Only you can look at your wear points and adjust lubrication as needed. I tend to stay away from grease but others swear by it. Good luck!

·
Registered
99 Posts
I'll take this thread to ask my question rather than start a new one.

after 1000 rounds through my new XDm, cleaning after every range trip of course i find myself wanting to give it a thorough cleaning. can anyone guide me through what tools i need to take it apart down to the frame? is there a guide out there that shows this being done besides the parts guide that came in the manual?

·
Registered
125 Posts

after 1000 rounds through my new XDm, cleaning after every range trip of course i find myself wanting to give it a thorough cleaning. can anyone guide me through what tools i need to take it apart down to the frame? is there a guide out there that shows this being done besides the parts guide that came in the manual?
+1

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
I field strip, spray out wth Gun Scrubber Synthetic Safe cleaner, dry and lube. I like grease for the slide rails and oil for pivot points. I brush the barrel with Hoppe's and patch then very lightly lube.
I believe in very lightly lubing. Too many folks over lube in my opinion.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I agree with all those ways, but do not use WD-40. It will neutralize a primer if they are exposed with eachother. It also gums up if it is not 100% removed.

·
Premium Member
1,962 Posts
OK I am a noob to handguns. I have cleaned mine with remington lub/cleaner all in one.... with a BORE SNAKE and clothes on the outside.

Can someone post a VIDEO on cleaning their XDM. What to look for, best cleaning supplies, etc. Also complete dismantling of the pieces to clean (i know most of the XDM is easy)

I think if someone does post a very good video that it should be STICKIED.

Thanks
Try THIS site here. It's a group of about 14 videos that show you pretty much everything you need to know.

·
Registered
23 Posts

If you have to ask what tools to use to take apart your frame, I HIGHLY suggest you let a professional do it. If your not accustomed to taking apart and putting back together small mechanical items, your firearm is not something to practice on.
In all reality you shouldn't have to take your gun down that far.

Just MO!

SA :cool:

·
Registered
16 Posts
If you have to ask what tools to use to take apart your frame, I HIGHLY suggest you let a professional do it. If your not accustomed to taking apart and putting back together small mechanical items, your firearm is not something to practice on.

Just MO!

+1

If your dead set on it, I do remember someone took many pics, and posted when he deep cleaned after like 1000 rounds. This is still to early in my mind. Mine is well over 1k, and its cleaner than when I recieved it new in box. He was familiar with the XD, and showed the differences in them.

You can clean everything you need to without taking the frame apart.
Hoppes
Brush
Qtips
rag
Gun Butter
DONE!:)

·
Registered
369 Posts
To name two specific products after you have cleaned and bore snaked your XDM, look at FP-10 as a general lubricant and protectant and Shooter's Choice All Weather High Tech Grease.

A note of caution; after leaving the FP-10 over night I wipe diligently with a cutup old athletic sock so dirt is not attracted. Last I very, very sparingly grease the rails. If your are only target shooting indoors dirt is not an issue when storing in a gun bag or other container. However concealed carry clog your weapon with clothing lint and more dirt that one might suspect.

·
Registered
99 Posts

Just MO!

No offense taken

Wondering if i need anything besides a punch, and only reason i ask is because while cleaning, i can see small crevices where i cannot reach with rag, qtip or cloth on the punch, such as where the extractor attaches to the slide. something about not being able to fully take apart my firearm to the last piece bugs me. :|

·
Registered
4,446 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
I'm pretty sure I have read somewhere that SA says that you should never have to "detail strip" your gun. All you have to do is a basic field strip, cleaning, and oiling and the gun would be fine.

Correct me if I am wrong.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts