Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know of any step by step pictures of cleaning a xd from start to finish? If not could someone take detailed pictures and describe every little detail. Im not talking about taking the whole gun apart..just the basics.. barrel, slide, stock...ect.. I think it would help alot of newb's out! Thanks!

·
Banned
1,546 Posts
type into google and you can find instructions in better detail

What I do with my Mpro 7 kit.

basics:
Unload firearm
open owners manual.
disassemble as instructed

What I do after making sure it is unloaded:

Take patch with cleaning solution, wipe down all surfaces of the slide and frame

take patch clean feedramp and outside of barrel

take another few patches with cleaning solution and run it down the barrel unless the patch is white

I use qtips with cleaner to get to tougher to get places and the frame rails

take the CLP and lightly wipe down all surfaces.

take a qtip with CLP and run it down the frame rail.

Run CLP down the barrel

reassemble

rack slide a few times to make sure you dont have any excess oil.

wipe down outside to remove any excess oil.

complete.

·
Registered
242 Posts
My procedure is much the same, except that I add in the use of a bore snake. After running a couple of patches down the barrel with MPro7, I spray a bit of Mpro7 in again and then run the bore snake through a few times. If copper fouling is a problem (it is easily seen), I'll use Butch's Bore Shine to dissolve it. Finally, I use Militec or FP-10 to do a final lube. Run a wet patch down, then a couple of dry patches to get out as much of the oil as possible.

For the frame I use MPro7 and paper towells to clean the rails and the entire exterior frame. The same process of spraying and using paper towels works fine for the slide and spring assembly.

Be sure not to get stuff into the firing pin areas.

A toothbrush works well to clean out the rails on frame and slide, and also for the breech face. Don't try this with solvent based cleaners, only water based such as MPro7.

For lubing, I use Militec or FP-10 to lightly coat the entire slide and the metal parts inside the frame. Less is more, so use lube sparingly and wipe parts as dry as possible.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I use the blue wonder cleaner, lube, and armadillo. The thing im mainly worried about is getting the bw cleaner in tight spaces like in the slide and frame and not being able to get it out. Also getting the tight spaces where i used the cleaner on lubed well. Do I need to switch cleaners? Sorry for all the stupid questions but im a newb...this is my first pistol. Thanks!

·
Registered
141 Posts
My cleaning is basically the same gonna try boresnakes..

Was surprised that cabelas had quit carrying blue wonder couldnt buy more today and im almost out :(

·
Registered
4,801 Posts
Two excellent ways to learn how to properly clean a gun.

"Plan A" would be to watch someone else do it. This technique takes about 10 minutes and will make you another expert.

The second suggestion is to enlist in the Army. This technique takes about 10-12 weeks, but you will be even more of an expert, and able to not only clean your handgun, but a rifle as well. And you will be able to disassemble and re-assemble them both blindfolded, which goes over big at parties as a sure way to impress girls.

When I got drafted, after basic training I was kind of stuck for almost two more years. But you...you can learn how to clean a gun (and march like nobodies business) and then quit after basic training. What a great deal!!!!

Still, I would go with plan A and learn other ways to impress girls at parties.

My son is a sailor. He has it great. But sailors don't shoot, so he never learned how to clean a gun. What a gyp! (He can run a nuclear reactor, but he won't show me how....I can't seem to find one around the house anyway).

Seriously, you can get a gun cleaning kit at Wal Mart or any gun shop. I got a Kleen Bore kit with a case and everything you need to clean a gun for $10. I like Kleen Bore's #3 gun conditioner. It cleans and lubricates, so it cuts out a step. You don't need to use both a solvent and an oil. This is new to me, and I've only been using it a short while, but so far, so good. It makes life easy. And IIRC, the kit came with an instruction book. But really, once you clean a gun one time (as described in this thread), it's really pretty quick and easy. Not much to remember. Your gun owners manual shows how to field strip the gun and I think the XD's manual even talks about how to clean it (not positive).

The $10 kit I got had a tooth brush included. A nice feature since it has two sides to the brush. A regular toothbrush size, and a very narrow one that fits nicely into the slide's groves that go over the rails. I am pretty sure you can buy these brushes now separately. But if not, any toothbrush will do. And having some Q-tips is always useful.

http://www.kleen-bore.com/

Good luck, and safe shooting.

Peace,
D.

Peace,
D.

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
Delija writes:

My son is a sailor. He has it great. But sailors don't shoot, so he never learned how to clean a gun. What a gyp!
Hey!!! I was a sailor... and this is basically true. We had gunnersmates that took card of all that. Colt .45's.. they rattled a lot! LOL

It is true though.. sailors don't shoot anything smaller than a 5"54, and on my ship the biggest bullets we had were the ASROC and the Harpoon... of course those weapons werent actually shot by me... I just did my part on the NGFS team doing the plot (quartermaster) It was great fun though... I wish I would have appreciated as much at the time.

Gun cleaning for me is a fairly simple affair. I field strip the weapon simply.. remove the slide, the guide rod, the barrell... and that is pretty much it. a drop of oil on the springs that I can see, I use a bronze brush lightly coated with Blue Wonder cleaning gel through the barrell.. then several passes with a clean patch until it comes out clean. A drop of disotech along both the left and right rails.. wipe any excess off.

I also take the wiped up oil left on my rag (I use an old diaper.. it is lint free, and does a pretty good job.) and wipe down all the metal that I can. The oil seems to soak into the metal, and protects from any rusting problems.

Raymond

·
Registered
18 Posts
Put in dishwasher. Use Dawn - "handles grease" - and the 'Pots & Pans' cycle.

Remove, shake off water and air dry overnight.

Return weapon to your mother-in-law. :lol:

·
Premium Member
3,601 Posts
old_ironsights
Put in dishwasher. Use Dawn - "handles grease" - and the 'Pots & Pans' cycle.

Remove, shake off water and air dry overnight.
Let me guess, you use olive oil for lube? Well since you were in the kitchen, that was my guess :wink:

·
Banned
11,479 Posts
Delija is right. The Army will teach you the right way to clean your weapon. They will also teach you to sing and dance(march). They also have camping down pat. They bring the cooks, you bring the appetite. You should tell the recuiter you want to start out as a major or a general. This will help advance your career.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts