Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed that my XDm came with a nylon bristle cleaning brush, but 95% of all brushes I see for sale in gun stores and that come in cleaning kits are copper.

Can I harm my XDm by using copper brushes? I know the copper is softer than the barrel steel, but I'm wondering about the finish and also about the effectiveness of nylon vs. copper on the powder residue.

Tutor me gang!

CobraMan

·
Registered
90 Posts
Cobraman, I use stiff nylon brushes when I use a copper cleaner such as BMG 50, Sweets 7.62, Barnes CRT, etc. these are designed to disolve the copper build up from shooting copper jacketed bullets. This is for my match grade 7mmWSM rifle. I also use Shooters Choice or Butches Bore shine to go after carbon build up. Again this is for high power rifle. I assume handguns will be the same unless the lower velocities don't strip as much copper. The finish on the bore will also dictate how much copper will accumulate on the bore.

The amonia in these copper killers will dissolve the bronze brushes and will give you a false reading when the patches come out blue, which tells you there is copper present. Use the Isso blue or Montana extreme black nylon brushes, they are stiffer than the cheap Hoppes brushes. Bronze brushes are okay for carbon. Be carefull not to bang the crown of your muzzle and of course clean from the breech end. I always run a patch or two of bore conditioner, CLP, Butches gun oil, etc. as the last step to bore cleaning.

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
I'm not a scientist or armorer, but I always use copper bore brushes on everything and I've never noticed a problem. I just figure, rightly or wrongly, that if hot copper-jacketed bullets don't damage the barrel, then copper bristles can't be that bad. Also, I figure copper bristles will probably be able to scrape out copper build-up better than plastic. But, I'm no expert, just someone who doesn't ever use nylon bore brushes. There are many people who believe you shouldn't even clean the bore AT ALL, many others who only use solvent, and you'll probably get a million different opinions on copper vs. nylon if you do clean your bore with one.

·
Premium Member
1,089 Posts
I noticed that my XDm came with a nylon bristle cleaning brush, but 95% of all brushes I see for sale in gun stores and that come in cleaning kits are copper.

Can I harm my XDm by using copper brushes? I know the copper is softer than the barrel steel, but I'm wondering about the finish and also about the effectiveness of nylon vs. copper on the powder residue.

Tutor me gang!

CobraMan
Copper or Phosphor-Bronze? Either way it doesn't matter. The idea is to use a brush that is softer than the metal the bbl is made of. So long as the brush is significantly softer you cannot scratch your bbl with it. That whole chemistry thing keeps coming back.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I've always used copper brushes and I figured it was all about saving a few bucks when they give you a nylon brush with the gun. I would use the nylon brush after the copper just to help get out any loose particles but then again isn't that the reason for patches? The nylon is also good for cleaning other hard to reach areas so use it the best you can.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts