Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the XD40SC and I want to make sure I have all the necessary supplies for cleaning it properly.

Right now I just have a bore snake and Break-Free CLP.

Is it enough to spray the Break-Free CLP on the bore snake and run it through the barrel or do I need something else in terms of cleaning or lubing?

I've read that the Break-Free CLP is a cleaner, lubricant, and preservative, so in my mind that would encompass everything. I just want to make sure I'm doing everything I can to maintain my gun and keep it in the best condition possible.

·
Registered
5,880 Posts
I don't know a lot about all the cleaning products, but I've found compressed air to be a huge help getting the nooks and crannys cleared.

·
Registered
14,586 Posts
Unfortunetly using just a bore-snake and CLP will only keep your XD in proper working order for 10,000-20,000 rounds lol you're good-to-go.
You can use a can of unchlorinated brake parts cleaner ( very cheap and available everywhere ) to blast the heavy crud out of the frame/slide area from time to time. You CAN do more but you don't NEED to do more with an XD.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Unfortunetly using just a bore-snake and CLP will only keep your XD in proper working order for 10,000-20,000 rounds lol you're good-to-go.
You can use a can of unchlorinated brake parts cleaner ( very cheap and available everywhere ) to blast the heavy crud out of the frame/slide area from time to time. You CAN do more but you don't NEED to do more with an XD.
I could be wrong on this, but my understanding of break-free CLP was that it had to stay on the parts for a little bit prior to cleaning... I usually spray inside of the slide, bore and spring with it and leave it for an hour before scrubbing...

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I watched that video and I noticed that he uses a grease on the slide rails. Is that something that I should do each time I clean the gun or is rubbing some Break-Free CLP on the rails plenty to keep it lubricated.

I was under the impression that the gun grease was used when the firearm would be stored and not used for a while.

·
Premium Member
8,923 Posts
I use Hoppes No.9 to on patches to clean the barrel, slide, guide rod, and frame. Then I use Remoil on all of those after I have removed all of the Hoppes. And I squirt a drop of oil on the slide rails on the frame. After that I assemble the firearma and wipe it down with a silicon cloth.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
never used a bore snake before, but I have always felt a nice tight patch with some CLP does a nice job on the bore.
On my AR, I shoot a little Break Free Powder blast down the gas tube and clean the bolt with powder blast. After it dries, I go over it and all the other moving parts with a little clp on a rag.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts