Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If I could level a complaint about the XD, it would be there are too many GD little parts!

I decided to take the leap, and tear the thing down. Following the instructions at XD-HS2000.com (thank-you by the way A James for making all that information available.) I was able to tear the thing down to pretty much bear bones. I did stop on the slide when it got to removing the extractor... I ain't ready for that yet!

The project was fun, but next time I do it I won't drink any alcohol! My fingers lose their youthful dexterity after the third whiskey and water!! And those notes about not letting the springs get away from you and fly across the room... yep... I ignored those warnings.. and you would have laughed yourself silly watching me crawl across the floor trying to find the firing pin spring guide!

I found it! (It took a while, I really need to vacuum before I try this again!) I also dropped the sear spring, that was a bitch to find! and the grip safety spring, and the ejector pin... It's all about organization I guess...

Anyway, I found a lot of gunk (Technical term) In there, and places where there was WAY too much oil! So I cleaned it all up and put it back together...

I ran it through some basic checks to make sure that everything is back together correctly, and all that is left to do is shoot it... that's tomorrows project. I liked doing this. I learned a lot about the pistol. Particularly about how some of the safety features work. It's pretty easy to see when you have the thing taken apart.

Raymond

·
Registered
87 Posts
uhmmm..... whiskey and handling a gun? I wouldn't go there.

im glad u're still alive tho :)

I will take it the easy way and send it in the shop to be cleaned. :)

·
Registered
4,183 Posts
Hey Captian Ray! OCngratulations on a truely interesting XD owner's experience! I did mine 2 weeks ago. James had given me verbal instructions on how to disassemble the slide a long time ago, and my detail cleans consited of a field strip and slide cleaning. The extractor is extremely easy to remove! Go to Walmart and look for a set of picks in the tool section (Stanley brand I believe). Disassemble everything like you did, then poke one of teh picks up under the extractor to push it up a little, while its up like that, use a pair of needlenose pliers to pluck it off the slide. Very easy but intimidating!

·
Registered
388 Posts
Captain Ray said:
And those notes about not letting the springs get away from you and fly across the room... yep... I ignored those warnings.. and you would have laughed yourself silly watching me crawl across the floor trying to find the firing pin spring guide!
I fully stripped my Ruger MkII last night and managed to lose two vital springs. They didn't fly away upon disassembly but rather disappeared overnight as the parts sat covered and in another room. Fortunately, I have factory spares, but the upgraded parts remain missing, and until I find them, so shall my 2lb trigger pull.

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
mdbullet said:
you have to tear it all down again,,,, from what i see you forgot to take the MAG release out,,,, better luck next time!!!!!!! lolololololololol
BE SAFE Dave
I'm not sure what you mean?

Raymond

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I didn't mess with the mag release at all.. I checked it though.. with an empty, and a full mag to make sure it would eject the magazine with effect.. it does.. but if you see something that I should have done that I did not, I am all ears.

Raymond

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Oh... well that's just ****in' great!!! JEEZ! I bet you have a lot of fun tripping old ladies as they try and cross the street you BASTARD!

LOL

(you had me worried man.. now that I know you were just foolin', can I get a hug?)

Raymond

·
Registered
4,183 Posts
When I tore down my frame, I have to admit, I left my mag release intact. It scared me LOL

·
Premium Member
3,601 Posts
For any of you that take your weapons down as described above. You might want to place your pistol in a large see through plastic bag. This way when it gets to a point where a spring is under tension and threatens to fly away the bag will keep it from getting lost. :wink:

Wear shooting glasses too, it protects your eyes from a flying part and also keeps canned aerosols from macing you. I've shot gun scrubber in my eyes before, it aint fun at all! :x

·
Registered
2,637 Posts
hobocircus said:
For any of you that take your weapons down as described above. You might want to place your pistol in a large see through plastic bag. This way when it gets to a point where a spring is under tension and threatens to fly away the bag will keep it from getting lost.
I have a piece of glass left over from an end table that went to the trash years ago. I cut a couple of arm holes in a cardboard box. I put the gun and tools (if needed) in the box, put the glass on the top, and go to work. This has saved me a lot of time looking for itty-bitty springs and such.
(Yes, I wear my shooting glasses :) )

·
Banned
1,546 Posts
mdbullet said:
you have to tear it all down again,,,, from what i see you forgot to take the MAG release out,,,, better luck next time!!!!!!! lolololololololol
BE SAFE Dave

HEHEHE, nice spot

1 - 17 of 17 Posts