Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have read a lot of post regarding taking apart the striker pin assembly, cleaning it and oiling it. I do not see anything in the manual on how to break it down.
Anyone care to give some step by step instuctions on how to break it down and clean it?

·
Registered
7,507 Posts
It's pretty easy.

Field strip the gun.

Get a punch the same size as the plastic that holds the "cocked" indicator. Press the plastic piece in so it clears the back piece, then lift the back piece up. JUST a little bit! Cup the back and raise it up the rest of the way as the spring will try to shoot the plastic bushing and the metal indicator across the room!

Then get a small punch (I think 3/32nds?) and from the bottom side of the slide, drive the striker retainer pin out the top of the slide. Light taps are all that is needed. The roll pin goes in one end as the hole is tapered to hold it in tight. The roll pin is 3mm x16mm (from memory) most good hardware stores or places like Fastenal will have them on hand. I have a few spares just in case.

Then the striker just comes out the back. There is a small spring around the nose of the striker. It may not come out easy due to gunk and goo. Spraying brake cleaner in the "firing pin hole" will get it out. Or a sharp whack into the palm of your hand. Once it's out, Clean the striker channel like you would a barrel or with long q-tips.

I sprayed the channel and striker with a silicone spray lube that has no residue. Either that or nothing. The gun is ok to run the striker bone dry.

This is the tricky bit;
Put the small striker return spring, striker, striker spring, cocked indicator and bushing back into the channel. Then compress the spring stack into the channel with one hand and slide the back plate into position with the other hand. Do it in a location where flying parts can be easily located because if you slip, the compressed spring will shoot parts!

I suspect that the roll pin failures may be related to excessive insertion pressure causing them to bend and break. Take that to heart when assembling. Just use enough force to slide the pin down and a couple light taps to seat it.

Knowing what to do, the striker can be removed, cleaned and replaced in 5-6 minutes.

·
Banned
38,920 Posts
IMO,
Unless you're really bad at maintenance, and get it gummed up with excess oil, there is no real reason to take the striker assembly apart.

All I've ever done is give that area a good blast with GunScrubber, or non-chlorinated brake cleaner.

·
Registered
4,445 Posts
I have read a lot of post regarding taking apart the striker pin assembly, cleaning it and oiling it. I do not see anything in the manual on how to break it down.
Anyone care to give some step by step instuctions on how to break it down and clean it?
Unless you are having light strikes on the primers, don't take it apart. The more often you remove the striker retaining pin the more likely it is that it will fail.

don

·
Registered
50 Posts
I had to clean mine the other day on 2 of my xd's. I went to shoot and both failed the same day after working fine the week before. Took apart and had tons of gunk in them. One pistol had 20,000+ rounds and the other probably 10,000+ rounds. I kept getting light strikes. I would suggest every couple thousand rounds to clean it out.

·
Registered
7,507 Posts

Russ7777..... is it clean yet?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts