Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello I’m new to the forum and am happy to see a section devoted to the SA XDM. I recently purchased a XDM 9MM.

Are there any special considerations to take into account when cleaning this pistol verses other types of handguns?

It would also be helpful (without starting a debate) to hear which pistol cleaning kits people like the best and why?

Thanks and have a Happy Thanksgiving!

Mike

·
Registered
708 Posts
Cleaning instructions are in the users manual.( Safety Manual) Behind the large black foam padding on the back of the case, step by step. Use a good bore cleaner occasionally, and always use a good CLP. Break Free, G96, whatever you like best. Everyone has a favorite. I like G96. Don't over lubricate!
Link in case you did not get your manual
http://www.the-m-factor.com/download/XDmSAFETYMANUAL.pdf

Welcome to The Forum & Happy Thanksgiving to you too!
Ammo? Target ammo best deal at Wal-Mart. CCI (Federal) Blazer Brass 9mm, 50 for $8.97 any day of the week.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Use a good bore cleaner occasionally, and always use a good CLP. Break Free, G96, whatever you like best. Everyone has a favorite. I like G96. Don't over lubricate! ...
Thanks for the info. I am not familiar with the term CLP, is there a cross reference on the forum for commonly used acronyms?

·
Registered
708 Posts
CLP is an acronym for : Cleaner Lubricant Preservative
Break Free is probably most common.
Break-Free®

Can be bought at Wal-Mart too. Sportsman Section. In a 4oz. Aerosol can. About 4 bucks. Lasts long time! A little goes a LONG WAY!

·
Registered
41 Posts
A nice tip I got was to put a couple drops of lube into each rail on the slide and set it up on end. That way it travels the length of the slide without much hassle.

·
Registered
19 Posts
A nice tip I got was to put a couple drops of lube into each rail on the slide and set it up on end. That way it travels the length of the slide without much hassle.

I've found if you lube the rails with a liquid lube you get more dust & crud in there then with a high tech grease. I use about 1/2 drop on the beginning section of the 4 rails with a high/low temp PTFE Grease that was designed to work on full auto weapons. It won't freeze up in low temps, or burn off on extremely high temp auto weapons. The one I use is Magnalube-G, a PTFE Grease.
Dan

·
Registered
43 Posts
I have been using a product called Gunzilla. It is not a petroleum based toxic substance and seems to be doing a good job so far.

·
Registered
3,388 Posts
Damn, just read the gunzilla website. That stuff looks great. I'm picking some up ASAP.

·
Registered
7,507 Posts
Being a cheap soul, I use synthetic disc brake caliper grease. It's got all the high and low temp protection and it's normal use environment is dramatically harsher than what a gun sees.

Buy the special gun stuff if you want, but ....

1 - 9 of 9 Posts