Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a newbie when it comes to guns. I've shot before but never owned one. I actually had my interest on a Glock 19 after shooting them at a range up until a worker recommended me to try a few other guns - a sig P239, mp shield, and finally an XD9. And boy what a difference. They are all good guns btw. The glock was almost perfect but the grip / handle part was a bit too wide for my small hands. The XD9, on the other hand, was just immaculate and i felt like i shot better with it. Well, if it wasn't because of the worker, i would have been on a glock forum instead. But i know i made the right move! So just got myself an XD 9mm last wk. Also, bought 500 rds of ammo.. I'm ready to break this baby in! :lol:

Anyway, so while waiting for my 10 days to get my gun, i've researched on how to clean it and a bit overwhelmed by what i've read on forums and watched on YouTube. In short, not sure what solvent combo or clp would do the job. Seems that there is not a whole lot of wrong you can do with the solvent you use as long as you clean them. So i bought Ballistol and Hoppes 9 on Amazon. And when i was at Big 5, I saw an Mpro7 cleaning kit that was half off and bought it. For $12, i thought its worth a shot. The kit comes with all the brushes, the rod, as well as the Mpro-7 cleaner and their Mpro-7 LPX. Now that I've got myself 4 different cleaners, not sure what would be the best to use on what part of the gun. Initially, i was thinking of Hoppes 9 for the bore and Ballistol on everything else. Now that i've got the Mpro-7, maybe use the LPX as a final lube? I'm not even sure if mixing those 3 is a good idea. Let me know what you guys think or suggest. Any help is much appreciated..

·
Registered
20 Posts
I had an XD Tactical in 45 for years many thousand rounds through it. Used Hoppes #9 and Tetra grease on it. I plan on doing the same with my new XDs 9.

I use Hoppes on all my guns. Mainly keep them clean and use what you want. I feel they all do a good job. I use Ballistol on my Black Powder cartridge rifles and pistols.

Mike

·
Premium Member
17,722 Posts
Welcome to the forum @GingerXD18!

Don't overthink it, the XD is very tolerant of cleaning and lube choices. The only lube that has a highly specific application method is FrogLube. Works great if you do it right, bad results if you don't. All others can be interchanged with little differences.

DO NOT put lubricant in your XD's striker channel (located on the underneath side of your slide). Just lightly lubricate the slide/frame contact points and the outside of your barrel and you'll be fine for many thousands of rounds.

Here's a lubrication diagram:

Read through the forums and you'll find lots of useful info on cleaning and ammo....

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
What they said^

i use ballistol, i like it, it is safe to get on your skin, it is good for wood, leather, and other things too (like pinewood derby cars), it works on my blackpowder as well, cleaner and lube in one. so, one (what i consider to be great) product for many needs. reads a little like snake oil, but in this case it is true. i have even heard you can use it to clean wounds, but am not eager to try...

There are many great products out there, and many if not vastly most of us will never have our firearms subjected to the kinds of environments created in the tests that people run (you know where they stick metal plates in salt water misting chambers for hours on end, etc.- those tests have merit, but the only guns i have that even get touched regularly are my 2 edc's, the rest sit in the safe clean and "oiled" and tidy until i go to the range)

pick one you like and be confident in your choice. no one says you cant ever go to something else or try something different.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you all for the helpful replies! The diagram makes it easy as well.. Do you guys suggest cleaning a new gun before a trip to the range? As far as i know, the gun was only on the shelf for a couple days until i bought it. Guns in so cal. are selling like pancakes since the San Bernardino incident. Also, i bought Federal AE ammos from Cabelas last wk in both 115 and 147gr fmj. I'm sure those are fine as i've heard XD's are just like Glocks that will pretty much shoot anything..

·
Premium Member
17,722 Posts
I would do a quick takedown and inspect to make sure things are lubed before I start shooting. Then you can clean and re-lube.

I bought a used Sig, took it to the range and decided to do a quick take-down (yeah I know shoulda done that at the LGS before I bought it) and it was dry as a bone. Always good to do a quick check before you start to make sure that it hasn't been messed with and there's not some hidden problem before you fire that first round!

Enjoy! I've got lots of Federal AE in 115gr but it's on the bottom of the pile so haven't shot much of it yet. Cheapest range ammo is either Perfecta from WalMart or Freedom Munitions when they have free shipping.

Your next question is self defense (SD) ammo, and I'll give you the Cliff Notes answer:
Any Federal HST you can get from SGAmmo.com or Streicher's when it's in stock. Sign up for notices.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks zander.. i've seen perfecta's at walmart going for about $10/box. and yes, good to know regarding SD ammo! will be on the lookout for that..

·
Registered
2,608 Posts
Welcome to the forum. There are almost as many posts on cleaners and lubricants as there are on goats. But it is still close to Christmas, so I will say thank you for your inquiry, and here is one link for your information.
The Best Gun CLP’s – Corrosion and Lubrication Tests | Gun Cleaning Tips.com
I forgot about this test. Another reason I use frog lube. I may try out Hornady one shot. Those two placed top 4 in all tests.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
17,722 Posts
thanks zander.. i've seen perfecta's at walmart going for about $10/box. and yes, good to know regarding SD ammo! will be on the lookout for that..
20 cents per round is about as good as you'll find for practice ammo. Buy your limit and go back for more!

·
Registered
836 Posts
Take the hole gun apart, do a very detailed cleaning of the hole pistol. And only lightly oil the contact points. Refer to your owners manual for contact points. One drop on each rail, one drop on the polished feed ramp is what I do. I've never had a problem with my gun. Are you comfortable taking your gun apart?

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Wish I knew about Not Lubing the Striker area before now my XD9SC is jamming like crazy.....any suggestions?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Striker channel goo won't make it jam but what @Big Lou said would still apply as a first step . Then see if it's all your mags or just one is the culprit . Also shoot weak handed to see if it still jams, might be ammo related ( change ammo). The list goes on........

·
Registered
388 Posts
I have used Hoppe's for over 65 years and it has never let me down. My dad used Hoppe's many years before me, so it must be good. The only other product I use on the slide rails is TW25 grease.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts