Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im new to reloading and I love it! The only problem is that buying all the equipment (Dillon XL-650) cleaned my wallet out for a while. :wink: I dont have a case tumbler yet and was wondering if it was ok to clean cases by hand. If so, whats the best way to get me buy until I purchase a tumbler? Thanks a lot guys!

·
Registered
141 Posts
i think iosso makes a liquid that works just wear your rubber gloves i dont like it my self just dont do anything till ya get a tumbler save the hassle

·
Premium Member
16,428 Posts
Try bucket with hot water, dish soap, and a little vinegar drop your cases in mix them up for about 5 to 10 min. then rinse.

·
Registered
2,637 Posts
one-eyed-fatman said:
A trimmer would be more important than a tumbler for starters. Don't let your cases stretch beyound the max or you will run into trouble.
In my experience, rifle cases need to be trimmed. Except for some pretty hot .44 Mag loads, I have never trimmed pistol cases. Even after 10 or more reloads in 9mm and .40 S&W, cases have never stretched to max OAL. IMHO, a tumbler would be more useful than a case trimmer--IF RELOADING PISTOL CALIBERS!!

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
I've used a couple cheap tumbler alternatives. 1) Rock Tumbler - if they knew they could be used to tumble brass, they'd call it a brass tumbler and charge twice as much. Just fill it with brass tumbling media, run it a bit and you're set. 2) A can or container hooked up to the shaft of a small electric motor. Sure, it's ghetto, but man does it work. Plus, you can build as big a tumbler as you want or need. There's one at my grandfathers house that we made, and you could tumble 250 cases at once in there if you wanted to.

·
Registered
10,955 Posts
whatever you do, dont clean your brass with Brasso or any of those other conventional brass cleaners, they contain ammonia and they will weaken the cartridge case which could lead to a very unpleasant situation. If the cases are not TOO dirty, you could get buy without cleaning them for a couple of reloads, just wipe them off a bit first. When you do start tumbling cases, add a bit of Mineral Spirits to your media and it will really make the cases shine.

A trimmer would be more important than a tumbler for starters. Don't let your cases stretch beyound the max or you will run into trouble.
Im thinking that .357 sig may also need to be trimmed once in awhile but not totaly sure.

·
Banned
11,479 Posts
Snake-eater 1 said:
one-eyed-fatman said:
In my experience, rifle cases need to be trimmed. Except for some pretty hot .44 Mag loads, I have never trimmed pistol cases. Even after 10 or more reloads in 9mm and .40 S&W, cases have never stretched to max OAL. IMHO, a tumbler would be more useful than a case trimmer--IF RELOADING PISTOL CALIBERS!!
So why would my case trimmer come with pilot's for 9mm, 44 and 45 cal? Somebody must have a use for them.

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
one-eyed-fatman said:
So why would my case trimmer come with pilot's for 9mm, 44 and 45 cal? Somebody must have a use for them.
For overly anal bullseye or other competition shooters who have to have every round the same w/in .0005" length and .01 grains weight. Or of course in case you get a batch of brass that was long to start w/ and loaded to high pressures and now needs trimmed. Most factory loads though do not need trimmed.

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
C.H.Luke said:
Slap togeter one of these and write "Dyllin" on the "frame" with felt-pen for the time being:

http://home.att.net/~jsstars/tumbler/tumbler.html

Be sure to use a Maxwell House can 'cause they're blue... :wink:
HAH! That's exactly what I was talking about! :) Ghetto...

We mounted the shaft straight into the end of the can on my grandfather's, and then as a roller, we used a toy tank with wheels on the bottom of it nailed down to the main board.

Loud and ugly, but it works great.

·
Premium Member
16,428 Posts
I you want to make some.
<center>
</img>

</img>
</center>

·
Banned
11,479 Posts
aiformula said:
one-eyed-fatman said:
For overly anal bullseye or other competition shooters who have to have every round the same w/in .0005" length and .01 grains weight. Or of course in case you get a batch of brass that was long to start w/ and loaded to high pressures and now needs trimmed. Most factory loads though do not need trimmed.
Thanks for the explanation on reloading pistol. I reload for pistol but my pistol shoots a rifle round. I have to trim my rounds. Bad things can happen to me and/or my pistol if I don't. 22-250 casings do stretch. The last thing I want to do is let the casing come in contact with the rifling. But it's good to know you don't have to trim regular pistol casings.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I just received the Cabela's Shooting catalogue yesterday. There are some decent tumblers for $50-$60 in there. On page 24 in the upper right-hand corner is a Thumblers Tumbler. I have one of these and they are rock tumblers. The model I have is the Ultra Vibe 10. For a price of $104 I would jump on it. A friend bought one used after 15 years and it still works perfectly. FWIW

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Maybe instead of scrapping my swamp cooler off my roof, I'll convert it into a roof mounted brass tumbler....

·
Registered
2,637 Posts
f4tweet said:
I just received the Cabela's Shooting catalogue yesterday. There are some decent tumblers for $50-$60 in there. On page 24 in the upper right-hand corner is a Thumblers Tumbler. I have one of these and they are rock tumblers. The model I have is the Ultra Vibe 10. For a price of $104 I would jump on it. A friend bought one used after 15 years and it still works perfectly. FWIW
You might find better deals at Midway (I think the URL is www.midwayusa.com ).

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks for all the great replies everyone! The coffee can idea is awesome. As far as the case trimmer issue goes, Im only reloading handgun cartriges at this point so Im not going to worry about one for now. Thanks again.

·
Registered
225 Posts
If you want to save some money on tumbling media just go to your local pet store and by the corn cob or walnut media there. It is a couple of bucks a bag, and just add in your polish that you want. I've been using it for yrs. :D
Skip the trimmer. most of your cases head space off of the extractor. :eek:

·
Registered
225 Posts
Somewhere there's a stone tablet with the words: "Automatic pistol cartridges headspace on the case mouth" boldly emblazoned on it. One of the really neat things about conventional wisdom is that sometimes it's true. And sometimes it's irrelevant.

A glance at the SAAMI drawings for cartridges and chambers reveals a source of confusion. They are conveniently shown one above the other with bunches of dimensions, but the only two we care about here are case length and chamber depth. Since the .45 ACP is everyone's favorite cartridge let's use it as an example. The .45 ACP cartridge drawing shows a dimension of .898" with a tolerance of -.010". In other words a case that measures anywhere between .898" and .888" is okay and it isn't unusual to find them even shorter. Below it is the drawing for the chamber, and here the dimension is also .898" but with a tolerance of +.0 12". So anything from .898 to .920" is peachy.

Now let's add a complication in the form of the extractor. If the extractor wasn't there every case would go into the chamber until it hit bottom and it really would headspace on the case mouth. Of course it might not go bang then either. Given the variables in cases and chambers there might not be enough firing pin protrusion to hit the primer.

So how the heck does the good-old .45 manage to go bang so reliably? It's simply because it has a good extractor. When the round is stripped from the magazine it slides under the extractor hook and is held against the breech face. Unless the slop between the rim thickness and the width of the cut in the extractor is greater than the firing pin protrusion, the gun can't help but go bang. Imagine that. Ain't conventional wisdom grand?

COPYRIGHT 2003 Publishers' Development Corporation
COPYRIGHT 2003 Gale Group

Ever wonder how people accidently shoot 9mm in thier 40's or 40's in their 45's? Not all , but many do. :wink:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts