Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I just picked up my XD-9 over the weekend and since this is my first handgun, I'm just about clueless as to what exactly I need to keep her clean.

I've seen a few videos regarding how to clean the XD, but more or less I'm just looking for some recommendations on what exactly I need to buy.

If there's a prepackaged kit I can just order online, even better :)

Thanks for the help 8)

·
Premium Member
562 Posts
i bought the same gun in Bi-Tone... The first thing i bought was a bore snake... it is AMAZING for cleaning the barrel. I put a little CLP on it on a couple spots near the middle and run it through the barrel and it cleans it takes the major stuff out and then oils it and then takes all the excessive off too.. I ended up buying one for the P22... I was told (i am/was in the same boat you are as i just bought my xd9 about a month ago and just bought my p22 about 2 weeks ago) to stay away from RemOil (which i used on all my shotguns) because it has teflon in it and it basically puts a layer of film on everything and jsut collects dirt and grime.. I was told to buy the Break Free LP oil which is a "high lubricacy" as he called it; for the slide rails and on the barrel as the oil wont run off.. it stays were you put it.. and then just some hoppes no.9 oil for the rest of the gun and the guy who was helping me told me to just basically take a tooth brush and put a little on the tooth brush and scrub everything else down.. Hope this helps a bit..

For other people: Is this OK??

·
Registered
913 Posts
I just have a standard like 30 piece cleaning set that you can buy in a case. (Got mine from Gander Mountain) I like to use CLP and Hoppe's #9. CLP helps break up all the crud that gets caked in the slide and frame. Hoppe's is a powder solvent that is good for cleaning out the barrel. I like to use Hoppe's on the ends of cue-tips to clean out the hard to reach places. You'll also need a bunch of patches to clean as well and they'll be with the other cleaning supplies. Pick up a 9mm bore snake and that will make cleaning the barrel much easier. Finally, you'll always need some old rags to rub everything down afterwards. Alot of people like to use compressed air to blow out anything left behind but I don't have a compressor and the computer cleaning cans aren't enough.

I'm sure others will add more. Hope that helps.

Chris

·
Registered
855 Posts
I bought a normal Hopps kit and use it after most range visits. You can get a Hopps or similar cleaning kit at just about any goods sporting good store or even Wal-Mart. Unless you're putting 1000 rounds thru your gun between cleanings, the normal included solvent and patches should be enough to get the barrel clean between range visits.

Cleaning it often doesn't hurt the gun and once you do it a few times you'll find it only takes 10-15 minutes to do a nice job.

Lately I got into the habit of cleaning my XD9 after every range visit. Now that I'm carrying it on a regular basis I'm sure I'll continue that practice, since I don't want residue on hands and clothes everyday.

·
Registered
2 Posts
If you really want to pamper your XD a little use JB bore bright cleaning compound and than polish. Regardless of what you get out on the normal cleaning process you will get a lot more with this product. Not necessary all the time but it feels good occassionally to make th bbl really shine and know you have the lands and grooves really cleaned. To neutralize any cleaning compound I use denatured alcohol and than a conditioner to lubricate and protect. Just a suggestion.

·
Registered
250 Posts
I couldn't find a kit that had everything I wanted or came with a case that I could add things to. (which has led me into a little business idea)

So, I just started at Wal-Mart and bought a fishing tackle box and started buying all the pieces that I wanted in my kit. I really think this is the best solution in the end, so you can keep everything in one box and use the all brands you want. I then had to go to my local gun shop to get some of the things. Now, I have a kit that I like, can add to, and holds everything in one box. It didn't cost much more, if not less than a lot of the larger prepackaged cleaning kits.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts