Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,737 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do most people do this? I see progressive presses that presumably deprime and then immediately reprime (or at least I think I see this), and obviously cleaning the primer pocket wouldn't be done.

I've been cleaning mine w/ the little tool, but maybe it doesn't really affect performance much if at all.

What's the story on this? What do you do, and why?

·
Registered
259 Posts
You will get a lot of opinions on this, both ways. I do all my loading on a single stage press, so cleaning primer pockets does not add much time, overall. So I do it for all my handloads. If you're using a progressive, like a Dillon, then cleaning primer pockets is not possible, unless you deprime and clean first.

There was a recent article in Handloader magazine (I think), where the writer did some tests to determine if cleaning primer pockets made a difference. He was using a .223 rifle, and his conclusion was that there was little if anything to gain by cleaning primer pockets.

·
Premium Member
5,354 Posts
On pistol rounds...No.

On rifle I would, but i am not reloading any rifle calibers right now.

·
Registered
12,197 Posts
I rarely clean primer pockets on handgun ammo. It hasn;t caused me any grief yet. Rifle ammo, every other firing, but I load only target & hunting ammo on a single stage.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I've done several thousand rounds on my Dillon 550b and never bother with the primer pocket cleaning and no real issues that I've noticed (military 9mm brass is another topic all together). I was doing some reading the other day though and it looks like the 1050super (nice press, but I'd need to jump an income bracket to own) has a swag tool involved in the priming process somehow apparently, I don't understand though if that would be truly considered cleaning the pocket as well.

·
Premium Member
457 Posts
I never clean primer pockets for pistol rounds. Any small (very small) gain from this is not worth the trouble. I do clean my primer pockets on my rifle cases. The better scores my son and I shot, the more time I took in the reloading process. Even if I was loading .223's on the Dillon, I had the pockets cleaned out ahead of time. Anything that were shot over 300 yards were loaded single stage, each charge weighed, at least for my sons rounds. His scores are better than mine and I wanted to be sure he had the best.
Does it really matter, probably not for shorter ranges.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts