Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have some ammo from my grandfather in his gun cabinet. It was stored in doors and inside the packaging and inside the wooden cabinet. there isnt really corrosion on it, just like some LIGHT corrosion and they are kind of sticky feeling. Is there anyway I can clean them off? They are a little old, but I'm sure they will still fire.

·
Registered
12,197 Posts
I have some ammo from my grandfather in his gun cabinet. It was stored in doors and inside the packaging and inside the wooden cabinet. there isnt really corrosion on it, just like some LIGHT corrosion and they are kind of sticky feeling. Is there anyway I can clean them off? They are a little old, but I'm sure they will still fire.
If it's not a lot of ammo, I would just wipe them off w/ #000 steel wool & go shoot them. SOme will say tumble them but I am still not comfortable w/ that.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have access to a corncob tumbler and a wet/soapstone one. Its a decent amount of ammo. But I dont mind doing it by hand. Whatever works.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Depends on what you mean by "kinda sticky"...other then the sticky factor, light surface corrosion wouldn't stop me from shooting a round.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Depending on what size/type of ammo it is, just pitch it in the tumbler and that will do the trick. For an average size reloading-specific tumbler, I would say no more than the following:

For pistol ammo, 50 rounds at a time...For rifle ammo, only around half that much. (Don't get me started on trying to clean 50 BMG ammo up after it has sat around for 60+ years growing all kinds of interesting stuff on it!!). ;)

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Yeah...the 8mm stuff I would do in batches of 20 rounds and the 30 Carbine you can probably go with almost as much as with pistol ammo since it isn't much bigger than a loaded .357 round.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Is the 30cal m1 a decent round? I have never shot it. its a universal VERY low serial number rifle. Universal used USGI parts in this particular serial numbered gun, so I got lucky. the other models made a little bit later used JUNK parts.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
I would say that it is just "okay" in terms of its performance. It is considered one of the more anemic cartridges ever adopted by the US Military since it is only capable of pushing a 110gr bullet at a max of about 2100fps. In terms of muzzle energy, it is generally a cartridge that is too big for small game (rabbits, etc.), but too small for deer. I know a few folks that use M1 Carbines for coyotes/"tractor rifles," but I don't do anything with mine other than punch holes in paper. They are fun to shoot and cheap to reload. I haven't bought ammo for one in years, so I have no idea if commercial ammo is available and if it is...how much it costs.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
yeah, Like I said I got it from my grandfather along with a few other rifles and handguns. One of the rifles that I would like to find info about it a civil war spencer .52 cal carbine. very good condition, visible serial too. A webley markVI I think it is. German nazi mauser completely redone ( took away value, but it looks good )

Maybe I'll put some pictures up one day..

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
oh and also, should I put something on the bullets after I clean them? like some CLP or wd40? Or would they be alright after they are cleaned?

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
ok, so i guess put them in a surplus ammo can? Whats the best place to get surplus ammo cans that have decent shipping? you can get them cheap but the shipping is crazy.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Depends how long you want to store them...personally, I don't see anything wrong with storing them in loose boxes or Tupperware containers...then again, I usually don't plan on having my bulk ammo sit around for more then a year before I shoot it.

I've had a couple boxes of .38 special and a dozen or so rounds of .22 LR ammo sitting loose in a drawer in my mom's dresser for most my life (at least 18 years old), and it still shoots fine...or did a month or two ago when I decided to get rid of it all at the range :)

·
Banned
5,690 Posts
I got an M1 Carbine from my grandpa too, along with four cases of military ammo. It's a fun gun to own and shoot, but not much else.

Very low recoil, not particularly accurate, still a lot of fun.
If your stock has the cutout for an ammo pouch, be sure and get one, it looks cool.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts