Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Premium Member
986 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This may be a "newbie" question but here goes. As I get more into reloading my own, how do you tell when it's time to change the cleaning media? Is there a number of cycles, number of cases cleaned or some other point where it's time for new corncob, walnut or other media? I know the media wears out at some point, is it as easy as when it takes longer than normal to clean the casings?

I'm currently using crushed corncob media, any benefit to walnut shells?

Thanks.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Life does not work with fixed schedules. If it is taking longer to clean your cases, change the media. The only media I use is 20/40 corn. This is large enough to not pack in the primer pocket. Ground nut shells produce way too much powder/dust and I have had the dust pack in the cases being cleaned.
All I do is tumble for 30 minutes. Clean to me means that the exterior has been cleaned of dirt and debris and that is it.
Some folks like to put used anti-statice drying cloths in the tumbler to try to soak up all the powder their nut media produces. Some add solvents and abrasives to better "clean."
None of that is necessary. Just wiping off the case exterior with a cloth is sufficient for cleaning the case.
Since I have a unit already, I like to use an ultrasonic cleaner. Just hot water and 12 minutes in the ultrasonic unit and the cases come out completer clean, inside and out. If I use a few drop of Dawn and some citric acid, the cases are completely clean in 10-12 minutes. Only "issue" is that the cases need to air dry overnight, so they can't immediately be reloaded.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts