Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was looking into a new cleaning kit for the guns and was wondering what some of the better ones were and what ones to stay away from?

·
Registered
913 Posts
All you need is CLP, Hoppe's, a bore snake, some patches, and a general 25-50 piece cleaning kit that comes in a case from Gander Mountain, Cabelas, etc. No need for anything special. Those will keep you and the XD running fine for a long time.

Chris

·
Premium Member
946 Posts
Asking what a good cleaning kit is like asking what is the best car. Everyone has their own thing. I have been using a kit made by OTIS for a few years now. I love it. It is small and I can throw it in my bag. I can clean anything from .22 to 12 gauge.

·
Registered
512 Posts
+1 on the Otis kit. Once you get the hang of it they are great. Mine doesn't do shotguns, but it will clean everything from my .17HMR rifle up to my 9mm pistol.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Asking what a good cleaning kit is like asking what is the best car. Everyone has their own thing.]
This is exactly what I found out. I ended up returning the "kit" that I bought.

I went to WalMart and bought a fishing tackle box, then started piecing together a whole kit. I really am glad I did it this way. I now have a custom kit with just the tools and brands that I like. Super WalMarts have a good selection, then finish it off at your local gun store.

·
Registered
150 Posts
This is exactly what I found out. I ended up returning the "kit" that I bought.

I went to WalMart and bought a fishing tackle box, then started piecing together a whole kit. I really am glad I did it this way. I now have a custom kit with just the tools and brands that I like. Super WalMarts have a good selection, then finish it off at your local gun store.
Pretty much what I do. Old toothbrush and old underwear are the best gun cleaning tools ever. Throw in q-tips and some paper towels for barrel patches and you're set (don' use papertowel patches in a gas operated semi auto as it could leave little peices of paper in the system like I found out:???:)

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
My only advice is to use brass ends rather than plastic, the added stiffness comes in pretty handy.

·
Registered
706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That's for the input everyone. I'll do some shopping this weekend and see what is available.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts