Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'll admit I'm fairly new to handguns, but hope to be picking up an XD45c soon. My question has to do with cleaning. While obviously an important component for any firearm, I was curious if there were any "starter kits" available that any of you recommend starting out with that contain the necessary tools, patches, solvents, etc.? Is there anything you'd recommend, or is it better to just pick up all the necessary components individually?

Thanks - I've already learned quite a bit just reading through the posts.

·
Registered
536 Posts
if you live near a wallyworld that sells ammo, just pick up a hoppes pistol cleaning kit. if you only have a 45 then you'll need brushes and patches. when(i'm sure you will) you add another caliber you just get brushes /patches for that caliber

·
Registered
57 Posts
Both the Hoppes and Kleenbore cleaning kits are fine. The big issue is not to forget to clean and lube the pistol. I am a bit type "A" when it comes to cleaning my firearms. If at all possible, I clean them after each range session when I usually run 100 - 200 rounds through the XD. Usually shoot the Atlanta Arms factory reloads or the Winchester White Box rounds which at times can be less clean than more expensive rounds.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Don't waste money on expensive cleaning kits for your handgun.

Get a bottle of Hoppes #9 cleaning solvent.
Stiff bristled tooth brush.
Roll of paper towels.
Bore Snake for your caliber.
Lubrication of your choice.

That's all you really need to keep a gun in excellent condition.

·
Registered
14,586 Posts
Don't waste money on expensive cleaning kits for your handgun.

Get a bottle of Hoppes #9 cleaning solvent.
Stiff bristled tooth brush.
Roll of paper towels.
Bore Snake for your caliber.
Lubrication of your choice.

That's all you really need to keep a gun in excellent condition.
+1
Bore snake does a great job and saves tons of time.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
For those using the Bore Snake, what size are you using for a .45? I know, stupid question, but I'm not finding this product in a .45. I do see one for a .44 caliber - is that what you would suggest, or am I just not finding the correct one in my area yet? Again, I'm new to the handgun arena, so I appreciate you bearing with me :???:.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
They make a .45 bore snake.
I like Break Free CLP for lube.
I'm kinda anal about cleaning guns myself. My son has the same attitude as ecarlw. I bought a glock from my son and the darn trigger felt CRUNCHY!!! IT MADE ME CRINGE! The fact is, it still shot.
Certain weapons need regular cleaning for reliable, safe operation.....mostly gas operated weapons.
I will say that lead and copper fouling in the bore can also cause problems with accuracy and safety. Corrosive powder and primers are not the only reason guns should be cleaned. Rust is bad, but other issues can arise from outright neglect, weather my son or ecarlw has experienced them or not.
I say your on the right trak. Keep'em clean and ya can 't go wrong.

·
Registered
787 Posts
For those using the Bore Snake, what size are you using for a .45? I know, stupid question, but I'm not finding this product in a .45. I do see one for a .44 caliber - is that what you would suggest, or am I just not finding the correct one in my area yet? Again, I'm new to the handgun arena, so I appreciate you bearing with me :???:.
This one:
MidwayUSA - Hoppe's BoreSnake Bore Cleaner Pistol 44, 45 Caliber

I'm guessing the one you saw is probably for both .44/.45. Don't get a rifle one--they're INSANELY long. I actually clean my 18.5" barrel 10/22 with a pistol boresnake.

·
Premium Member
271 Posts
Bore Snakes DO NOT work. If you think your bore snake is doing a great time run it through you pistol barrel and then run dry white patch through the bore. It will come out black. I would not put a Bore Snake with in 20 feet of my or your guns!
Sorry to come across so trease guys but I have been there done that. And I will challenge anyone to try this experimane and post the results.

Get and Otis kit. They are compact, and small and very easy to use.

·
Registered
246 Posts
if you live near a wallyworld that sells ammo, just pick up a hoppes pistol cleaning kit. if you only have a 45 then you'll need brushes and patches. when(i'm sure you will) you add another caliber you just get brushes /patches for that caliber
I just picked up an Outers univeral kit from Wallyworld. It was about $9, but it doesn't include any solvents. It does have 3 sections of brass cleaning rods, so you could put a brush on one, a jag on another, and use the third as a back scratcher. It will save you the trouble of swapping tips all the time.

·
Registered
14,586 Posts
Bore Snakes DO NOT work. If you think your bore snake is doing a great time run it through you pistol barrel and then run dry white patch through the bore. It will come out black. I would not put a Bore Snake with in 20 feet of my or your guns!
Sorry to come across so trease guys but I have been there done that. And I will challenge anyone to try this experimane and post the results.

How about THIS experiment: you clean your XD to within an inch of it's life, I wont clean mine at all and we'll see who dies before our gun wont run lol.

·
Premium Member
13,498 Posts

You're doing it wrong. ;)

Toothbrush, paper towels, CLP and the CORRECT boresnake and it will be clean as a whistle after one run through with a patch for any CLP in the rifling after the above has been used. Been cleaning mine that way for several years and they're good to go and shiny down the barrel.

OR

This works:

How about THIS experiment: you clean your XD to within an inch of it's life, I wont clean mine at all and we'll see who dies before our gun wont run lol.
:D

·
Registered
609 Posts
i just purchased one of these at the gun show yesterday. what sold me on it is the fact that my XD 45 was clean as i could get it using all the normal cleaners, patches and so on and when the guy used this on my gun you could see all the stuff left that normal cleaning would not get. SACS Small Arms Cleaning System

·
Registered
787 Posts
I do that whenever I clean it to dry it out and guess what. The patch comes out with barely anything on it. So, yeah, the boresnake I have does work and quite nicely.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts