Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked up my XDM .40 S&W, with the 4.5 inch barrel yesterday (purchased it on October 30 though, and I assume it was sitting in the store [not having been cleaned] while the background check was being done). Therefore, I'm wondering how often the gun should be cleaned if it's not being fired? I'm going to clean it before going to the range next Monday (and then immediately after every trip to the range thereafter), but can it sit in a lock box until then, or should I be worried about corrosion and rust? I took it out today and gave it a good wipe with a silicone clothe, but now I'm worried about all the internals – especially since I can't get to the range for a full week from now.

It should be noted that this is my first firearm, and I can't help but baby it (I know that its a gun and can thus be manhandled a bit, but I'm obsessive-compulsive and can't help but care for all of my things – especially [very] expensive things...) Which leads me to my next question (which probably deserves it's own thread): when putting it back in the lock box (a Nano Vault) today, I managed to tap the muzzle against the [metal] casing of the box a couple of times. With that it in mind, how likely is it that I [ALREADY] managed to damage the muzzle crown?

Feeling stupid... :neutral:

~Ralf

·
Registered
12,197 Posts
More guns are damaged by too frequent or improper cleaning. When it is dirty, clean it. If fondle it with sweaty hands, wipe it off w/ an oily rag, done. I clean my handguns about every 1000rds. They often go back in the safe after shooting with just a wipe down.

·
Registered
22,575 Posts
You may have a scuff mark on your XD, but that just gives it character. Make sure you field strip, clean and oil it (except for the striker channel) before the first use. You may have machining shavings or other critters from the manufacturing process left in the pistol.

·
Banned
20,016 Posts
I will buck the trend. I clean my guns after I shoot them for the most part. Unfired guns get the barrel swabbed and a wipe down twice a year. Is it necessary? Probably not, but I do it anyway.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
More guns are damaged by too frequent or improper cleaning. When it is dirty, clean it. If fondle it with sweaty hands, wipe it off w/ an oily rag, done. I clean my handguns about every 1000rds. They often go back in the safe after shooting with just a wipe down.
Wow, I would have never thought that cleaning too much could be harmful, thanks for the heads up. One quick question though, can you define what you consider "just a wipe down" ? Thanks

~Ralf

·
Administrator
22,377 Posts
I will buck the trend. I clean my guns after I shoot them for the most part. Unfired guns get the barrel swabbed and a wipe down twice a year. Is it necessary? Probably not, but I do it anyway.
Same...

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You may have a scuff mark on your XD, but that just gives it character. Make sure you field strip, clean and oil it (except for the striker channel) before the first use. You may have machining shavings or other critters from the manufacturing process left in the pistol.

It looks as though everyone has their own approach. I would personally clean after every trip to the range, but damaging my gun scares me (I can't afford another one any time soon), so I guess I have to do some further research and find a balance.

~Ralf

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I will be mindful of that; thank you!

~Ralf

·
Banned
20,016 Posts
Just curious, not argumentative. How do so many guns get damaged during cleaning?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Should the striker channel ever be cleaned then? (My mind's logic is saying of course, but I know very little at the moment and have a whole new world to learn).

Apologies for all the newbie, and possibly stupid questions!

~Ralf

·
Banned
20,016 Posts
I think most will say clean, yes. Lube VERY lightly if any. Also, read the manual thoroughly for any new gun. Sometimes there are subtle things. Like one of my Rugers says you should only dry fire with the magazine in for example.

·
Registered
12,197 Posts
Just curious, not argumentative. How do so many guns get damaged during cleaning?
Taking the gun apart frequently, often misaligning parts, improper use of a cleaning rod in the bbl, metal picks to remove carbons etc. Not as much an issue with handguns, bigger bores, easier to use the rod, but I've seen a lot of rifle bbls damaged at the crown by dragging the rod across it & stocks split from over tightening guard screws, oil leaking into the wood area.
If cleaning your handgun after 100rds makes you feel better, go ahead, but it hurts nothing to leave it until it gets really dirty, like 1000rds worth of dirty. Wiping down the exterior surface with an oily rag is about all most handguns need form a casual visit to to range to keep rust from forming because of perspiration.

Reactions: XDmax

·
Registered
9,903 Posts
I like to run a mop with some CLP through the bbl after shooting. It cleans out some crud, protects from rust, and continues to dissolve carbon while the gun is in storage. A quick trip through it before shooting it again will get out most of the mess.
A big time range trip (1000+ rds) will get me to break out the brushes and Q-tips.

·
Premium Member
11,243 Posts
Unfired: twice a year. Fired, it depends on how many rounds and the expected time before the next range trip. Carry guns: At least a check once a month.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I pretty do mine when I feel like it. I never let things go so I dont worry. Probably every couple hundred rounds I would say is my average. They always get a wipe down and a cloth down the barrel after use at the bare minimum.

Like said above, carry weapon is clean and ready at all times and tested for functionality on a frequent basis.

·
Registered
17,777 Posts
Occasionally I will take some REM OIL and spray down the firearms (the metal at least), I am in the swamplands of the south (H-Town) and humidity is the bane of metal down here

·
Registered
4,209 Posts
The only gun I clean after each range trip in my AK74 as it gets Russian surplus for food.
Other than that rifle. Everything else eats a lot ,Before it gets a cleaning.
1000 rounds is a nice number as long as accuracy and function are good!
Precision rifles I shoot until accuracy starts to go down.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts