Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I tumble my brass in crushed walnut and Brasso polish before reloading and the outside comes out nice and clean, but after completing the reload they are dirty again. Do I need to clean my dies or is this just common? If so, what's the best way to do it? I have the Lee 4-Die Carbide set, if that helps. Much appreciated.

·
Premium Member
262 Posts
can't speak for the dies, but doesn't brasso have a case-weakening additive like ammonia? I know Nufinish doesn't.

·
Registered
12,197 Posts
Did you ever clean the dies? You should always clean a new set of dies. I use spray degreaser & a bore mop from my cleaning kit. So you use carbide dies? The brass will show some sizing marks, not much to do about it. Carbide sizer marks less than steel.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Spray them with carb cleener from any auto store wipe dry then brush on some motor mica sold at Midway USA and the dies are cleaned and lightly dry lubed with the motor mica, this only lubs the dies when resizing your brass you still have to lub the brass cases with regular case lub to keep the cases from getting stuck in the resizing dies, hope this helps you out :)

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hmm, the label does not say whether or not it contains ammonia, but it does say it's okay for use on brass, chrome, copper and other surfaces. I've never even thought about cleaning the dies, as they are my first set. But, I will look more into it. How does CLP sound for use on the dies? Also, how often should I have to clean them? Is it even possible to still have the brass clean after being reloaded since it is almost impossible to clean the inside of a case by tumbling?

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
I usually clean mine with rubbing alcohol after 600-800 rounds

·
Registered
604 Posts
Brasso does have ammonia in it and although it does say for use on brass (Navy guys use the dog out of it for cleaning their brass belt buckles), I've always been told that you shouldn't use it on brass cases. As to how much it may weaken them through contact while tumbling, I have no idea but I really don't want to find out the hard way, should it weaken it enough for a case head seperation to occur.

I normally use the NuFinish in my tumbling media. I emailed them about whether it has ammonia or not and they sent me the MSDS sheet and assured me that there is absolutely no ammonia in it.

As for the dies, I use a homemade case lube made up of 4 parts of 99% isopropyl alcohol and 1 part liquid lanolin. So when I need to clean them, I just take them apart and use some cheap 70% alcohol on a rag to wipe off the lanolin residue.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts