Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are your thoughts on cleaning a new gun? I'm picking up my XDm tomorrow and wanted to shoot right away. do you think it's important to do a full cleaning with a new firearm?

·
Registered
370 Posts
Mine was still pretty wet from the factory, so I didn't see the need. But some have said that despite being fully lubed, there's still dirt and grime from the manufacturing process that should be cleaned out of a new gun. It's a bit late for me to go back, but if you know how to clean a gun, you know it doesn't really take that long.

It couldn't really hurt if you clean it properly, could it?

·
Registered
346 Posts
It's always nice to take it apart and inspect the parts yourself (make sure nothing got broke, shouldn't have, but can you TRUST it?), and breaking it apart and cleaning it will lube all the parts to start the break-in process...

My XD wasn't bad, but my father got a compact (I think it's a Sky, some Daytona, FL company iirc), and it needed a lot of lube and racking to break it in enough that it wasn't malfunctioning (failures to eject, or when it did eject and chambered a new round, the slide wouldn't close completely)...but after a short break-in, it worked fine.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
I always have cleaned every gun I purchase before taking that first shot.
New guns may have a packing lube/heavy grease
Used guns will have dust collections.

·
Registered
764 Posts
I always clean a new gun. The lube in them is more to prevent seizing and rust while in storage, then it is to ensure proper function. And there is certainly no advantage to not cleaning-so it's best to do so.

Reactions: topgun47

·
Premium Member
544 Posts
You could probably get away with not cleaning a new XD...but I cant really think of any good reason to not clean it.

First think I do when I get a new gun is take it apart :wink:

·
Registered
254 Posts
You could probably get away with not cleaning a new XD...but I cant really think of any good reason to not clean it. ...
I had a good reason: place I decided to buy it from has indoor range. Shot a quick 100 through her right away! :)

- OS

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
I field stripped mine just to get familiar with it and look for anything out of place. I didn't clean it because it didn't need it. I do clean my guns every time I get home from shooting though.

·
Registered
55 Posts
i was always told that, they are packed in a type of rust inhibitor/preservitive for long term storage/shipping. that it is not a lubricant at all and should be cleaned off and lubed properly before fireing.

not sure if thats myth or not but i have heard it many many times and i would rather be safe than sorry and clean all my new guns before i shoot them.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Bought an XD 9 couple weeks ago and field stripped that night before fireing...Doesn't take long and as has already been make sure everything looks good...It did seem like the "stuff" from the factory was more to protect it than lube it. At least it's not packed like an old military rifle in cosmoline...

·
Registered
18 Posts
As my XD40 is my first gun I had no clue about cleaning before my first range trip. However moving forward, after learning more and reading other replies on this forum I'll certainly be cleaning my new guns before their first fire.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks all...I probably shouldn't have even asked the question, I already knew the right answer but I really wanted to just pick it up and shoot. Anyway, I picked it up today, gave it a good cleaning (by the way, the packing oil looked more like grease than a light oil). Thanks for keeping me in check.

·
Premium Member
3,090 Posts
I recently bought a 10/22 and shot it without cleaning it. Now my damn barrel is baked on tight with the gunk from the facotry and I am unable to take it off. I definitely will be cleaning all of my new firearms from here on out.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I have a cleaning question, Is newspaper a ok surface to clean a gun on.

·
Premium Member
3,090 Posts
I have a cleaning question, Is newspaper a ok surface to clean a gun on.

Should work fine since it does a good job absorbing things. You can also pick up a cleaning pad from somewhere like Gander Mountain. I got one and it does a good job keeping liquids off the floor.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
I didn't have a cleaning pad for cleaning but I did have an old white sheet that I folded over several times...Absorbs well and parts show up easily on the white...

·
Premium Member
563 Posts
I always field strip and clean before firing, I'm anal like that I guess. Plus, the funnest part is tearing it down and getting to smell the lovely scent of solvent and gun oil. Ahhhh.... lol

·
Registered
92 Posts
When I first got my police issued Sig, I thoight they issued me grease to thriw at people. My P225R was caked in lube from the factort, took three rags just to get it all of. Regardless od new or used, I still inspect and thoroughly clean each weapon before it makes the debut at the range for safety. Rather spend that extra time than come home with less ammo and fingers.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
my practice is to spray a new firearm down with break free powder blast and let it dry before wiping it down with clp.

routine use cleaning is with clp.
about annually, the semiautomatics get stripped down and parts powder blasted.

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
I have never taken a new gun out of the box and fired it without field stripping it and doing at least a minimal cleaning. How "wet" the gun is my guide for how much cleaning it gets. Dry get a light clean and lube. Wet (dripping) gets a full cleaning. The field strip and clean lets me do a proper function check once reassembled.

At the very least run a patch down the bore.

It is really quite simple. Look down at your right hand. (Left of you are a southpaw.) How different would your life be if a KaBoom took away the use of that hand?

Take the time to properly check out your equipment before you blindly pull the trigger on it.

1 - 20 of 81 Posts