Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have about 200 rnds through my XD. i have shot it 2 times. both times i have taken the brush that comes with the gun and run it through the barrel adn cleaned it the best i could..

when/how often do i need to disassemble adn clean my gun? also what all do i need to do when cleaning?

·
Registered
443 Posts
I disasemble mine weapon every time....What I mean by that is using the lever on the left side of your XD, taking off the slide and removing the recoil spring and guide rod from side....Clean the interior of the slide with a toothbrush ( your old one preferably hahaha) and also clean the block located on the bottom portion of the weapon. You should also ensure the extractors on the slide are free from debris...This is very important....

Then make sure you give her a good wiping of a qaulity gun oil (i.e. CLP)
over the entire gun....as to prevent rust....because they will...Their metal.... and that should be all.....

hope this will help! :lol:

Tom :D

·
Registered
81 Posts
I always clean my weapons after each firing session because I want them to be fully functional when I need them.
Purchase a good cleaning kit, follow the disassembly instructions in the manual that came with your pistol and clean and lube it thoroughly.
You'll never be sorry for the time you spent to take good care of any weapon you own.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ok i will do that this weekend. do i need to wipe the entire gun with the oil(grip, frame and all) or just the slide adn internal parts of the gun?

·
Registered
782 Posts
I would put oil all over the slide and then wipe off the excess so it dries. Then I drop a bit of oil on the slide rails and let that slide down in there. Shouldn't need oil on the grip though since it's plastic.

I have heard some people say that the brush that comes with the gun is no good and to replace it with a brass bore brush. Does that sound about right or is the brush decent?

·
Registered
657 Posts
what if you have a Duracoat on the gun do you need to whipe the exterior with Oil or do you just use a dry cloth of some sort?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
dolanp said:
I would put oil all over the slide and then wipe off the excess so it dries. Then I drop a bit of oil on the slide rails and let that slide down in there. Shouldn't need oil on the grip though since it's plastic.

I have heard some people say that the brush that comes with the gun is no good and to replace it with a brass bore brush. Does that sound about right or is the brush decent?
this is my first gun so im really learning how to do the cleaning...the brush that came with it seems to do good from what i can tell, but like i said im new to this and still seeking advice so i can make sure my gun last a long time.

·
Registered
212 Posts
invest in a good cleaning kit. The brush that comes with it is crap. Follow the manual for field striping. It gives good instructions.

·
Registered
443 Posts
runin90lx said:
dolanp said:

this is my first gun so im really learning how to do the cleaning...the brush that came with it seems to do good from what i can tell, but like i said im new to this and still seeking advice so i can make sure my gun last a long time.
It will last a long time...Just keep'er oiled and clean! Just one more thing, Frank at Springfield told me when I went through the armorers course was to keep a small amout of oil on top of the barrel where it meets with the frame (on top)...he said that this would ensure solid lock-ups.....I don't know if this is the gospel, but I do it to my weapon and all the other officers weapons I maintain...

Tom

·
Registered
4,801 Posts
dolanp said:
I got my XD used, so I didn't get the brush. I bought my SA 1911 new, and the bore brush that came with it is nylon (looks like nyon...definitely NOT brass).

I would certainly buy a real cleaning kit. They are inexpensive and come with what you need. Including a brass bore brush which will be far more effective at cleaning out your barrel's bore than a nylon brush.

Also, using a tooth brush is great. But the "toothbrush" I got in my "Klean Bore" kit (whole kid was $10) has a narrow brush on the opposite end, which is great since it fits perfectly into the slide grooves. I am pretty sure you can buy that brush separately as well as in the kit. Just like all the components of the kit.

For example, when I got a .45, I was able to buy just the tip of the brass bore brush for less than $2.....it screws right into the handle from the kit.

The cleaning patches are the one item you can go through quickly, but since it makes no difference what brand you use, or if they are round or square, they are inexpensive and widely available anywhere you can buy ammo. I have already bought several different kinds of patches. I just kept the original square box because it fits into the molded cleaning case. I had no trouble getting round patches in the square box. I had no trouble squeezing a lot more square patches into the box than the amount that originally came in it.

Some people clean their guns every time they use them. I'm one of them.
But I don't know if it is really necessary. Especially with the XD. But the XD is so easy to field strip and to clean that I can't see not taking the few minutes to keep it clean.

The 1911 is more difficult to field strip (mostly more difficult to re-assemble), but still easy. So I clean that as well every time I shoot.

I have yet to do a full disassembly of my XD. I am still a little nervous to try. Same with the 1911. I will get around to them. But certainly even though I shoot at least once a week (probably average more), it is not necessary to do a detailed cleaning more than a few times a year from what I have been led to believe.

I am sure there are those who feel differently and I would be happy to hear what their reasons are. I like cleaning my guns, and could be easily convinced to detail strip them (if I could get over being "nervous" about losing small parts or not being able to get them back together).

runin90lx said:
i have about 200 rnds through my XD. i have shot it 2 times. both times i have taken the brush that comes with the gun and run it through the barrel adn cleaned it the best i could..
Kind of sounds as if you are running the brush through the bore without disassembing? If so, that isn't recommended. You are pushing dirt into the breach if that's the way you are using the brush. It only takes a few seconds to field strip the XD, and you should be inserting the brush (preferably a bronze brush to start, then get it really clean with cotton patches) from the breach end of the barrel, not from the muzzle end).

Peace,
D.

·
Registered
782 Posts
I picked up a Hoppes 9 kit at Academy for around $6. You can get better ones but that one comes with the basics and has good generic instructions to follow.

·
Registered
4,801 Posts
dolanp said:
I picked up a Hoppes 9 kit at Academy for around $6. You can get better ones but that one comes with the basics and has good generic instructions to follow.
Seems like all the kits are all pretty good. And their instructions are good. The Springfield instructions are the weakest part of the SA package IMO.

The illustratons are confusing and in some cases too small. The on-line manuals are also too small.....to the extent that if you enlarge the illustrations, (particularly the parts list) the pixelization is so bad that you cannot see what you are looking at.

Peace,
D.

·
Registered
193 Posts
dolanp said:
The cleaning patches are the one item you can go through quickly
I always liked using cut up squares of old t-shirts (100% cotton) for patches. They work great and you can throw them in a box and wash them when you get enough used ones.

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
They work great and you can throw them in a box and wash them when you get enough used ones.
Hate to see your washing machine!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts