Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this sounds like such a newbie question but I just have to ask it....

could anyone give me some information on how to clean my XD? I have learned how to fieldstrip it quite easily, but I have no idea on what all I am supposed to clean.

Also, wanted to know what areas I am supposed to lubricate, and is there one type of lubricant that is better than others? I ask this particular question because I heard today about a lubricant called militec, but wanted to ask the opinions of others about it.

TIA.

·
Premium Member
2,735 Posts
It's pretty damn simple. Use Gun Scrubber on the frame/trigger group and the slide. Breakfree works great for the barrel. I prefer a BoreSnake for the barrel, as it usually only takes 1 quick pass to get it clean, if you've been busy, 2-3 passes. I prefer to but a dab of gun grease on the slide rails, but some just stick with BreakFree or another lubricant.

After cleaning with Gun Scrubber, throw some BreakFree in there and work the trigger group to make sure everything has at least a thin film covering it. The aresol may be a little easier for this than the standard bottle. Also make sure you do the same for the internal parts on the slide. The last thing you want is to forget to lube after using Gun Scrubber.

·
Premium Member
3,762 Posts
It is guaranteed that if you will spend 15 minutes in the XD 45 section you will learn everything you need to know about cleaning it and probably answers to more questions you might even not yet know you have.

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
You clean yours???:D

·
Premium Member
2,735 Posts
Thanks for that video, here is another one I found when I first cleaned mine. Its for an XD 40 but basically the same. This guy is meticulous. I had the laptop going and just followed step by step.

YouTube - Standard Gun Cleaning and Springfield XD 40 review

Did you notice in the video that everything was backwards? The ejection ports were on the left side of the firearm. I don't know what kinda video camera the guy was using, but I got a chuckle out of that.

I only watched about 5 minutes of that video. One things he does in the video, and I recommend you NEVER do, is to let the slide slam into battery on an empty chamber. Just about every gunsmith will tell you not to do this, as it can damage the breech face. Make sure you gently let the slide return to its position.

You don't need to bother with meticulous cleaning of an XD. Maybe every 7k-10k rounds, but for routine maintenance, Gun Scrubber and BreakFree is all you need. That and a BoreSnake!

If you don't use a BoreSnake, or don't want to shell out the $15 for one, at least get a brass jag for your caliber. This will force your cleaning patches to engage a larger surface area inside the barrel.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Did you notice in the video that everything was backwards? The ejection ports were on the left side of the firearm. I don't know what kinda video camera the guy was using, but I got a chuckle out of that.

I had to watch it to see what you were talking about. I got all my guns out and I'm sitting here like "WTF? How did he get a leftie 40SC?"

When I played it again for my wife, I noticed a note at the beginning that says he had the camera in mirror mode by mistake. I still can't figure it out, but that's what he says...

EDIT: ok, I watched a little longer and he flipped the camera

·
Registered
246 Posts
I had to watch it to see what you were talking about. I got all my guns out and I'm sitting here like "WTF? How did he get a leftie 40SC?"

When I played it again for my wife, I noticed a note at the beginning that says he had the camera in mirror mode by mistake. I still can't figure it out, but that's what he says...

EDIT: ok, I watched a little longer and he flipped the camera
Some cameras have a mirror mode to reverse the image- if you are shooting a reflection in a mirror, it will come out looking normal.

·
Registered
11 Posts
The image is inverted but I gota say, that is one long video. He could have cut that by 35 minutes, like when he was looking for the drummel piece....and talking about his shot gun stalk. C'mon, great video though.

·
Premium Member
332 Posts
I found some really handy qtips for gun cleaning that are different from any others I've ever seen. Walgreen's has these special qtips in the cosmetic section on the wall (with cotton wipes,etc), and they have a point on one end and a flattened bulb on the other. They were great for cleaning not only my XDMs, but especially spot-cleaning my Ruger MKIII. I had gone to the pharmacist looking for those long qtips on wooden sticks, but they sent me to this wall instead. I would have never found these! They're great!

·
Registered
46 Posts
All you need is a Bore snake, Hoppe's #9 Solvent/Lubricating oil/brush, Q-tips and Paper Towel. Clean the barrel and the slide and whatever parts have gun powder residue left on. Basically run everything you find dirty(black). It takes me around 10-15 min's to clean my gun. I field strip it after every 500 rounds and clean everything whereas I clean just the barrel after every trip to range. Easy!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.