Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ordered myself a new toy today, an M&P15-22. This will be the first rifle I've ever owned, so I'm not sure what I need to clean it or how to clean it. Am I better off with a cable based system (like the Otis ones) or a rod based system? I've read it's best to go from breech to muzzle, this seems like it would only be possible with a rod based system. Thanks for any input!

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Got one myself and love it. Lots of practice on the cheap. I use a bore snake and go from breech to muzzle. Cleaners and lubricants of choice for me is M Pro7

·
Registered
431 Posts
If you go to YOUTUBE and simply search "clean m&p" you will find tutorials (maybe several) that may vary from person to person - but will cover the basics. I personally have a SIG522 and use a rod but thats personal preference. Keep 'er clean ;) and congrats on the new addition.

·
Registered
2,806 Posts
They are very easy to clean... well the internals anyway, the outside of the barrel is hard to wipe down with the rail in the way... you can remove the upper completely (I prefer this way)by pulling out the two retaining pins, or just pull out the back one and flip the upper down.

I will add that rifles are much more tedious to clean thoroughly than a handgun, especially .22 cal due to the narrow bore and how dirty .22 ammo is... I generally spend 2 times longer on a rifle than a handgun, but I do put a few hundred rounds (last time out was 500) through my .22's when I take them out, so that makes a lot of dirt, real quick lol.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
I use a bore snake, running it through the breech, out the muzzle 3-4 times. Then a dry patch using a rifle length cleaning rod, same direction and only direction. Once dry patch is clean, I put an oiled patch through (rem oil or Lubriplate oil).

On the action and interior, patch with Hoppes #9, then light lube on the metal parts.

·
Registered
245 Posts
I take out the bcg/charging handle and spray it down with some cleaner and then brush itself and breach face/extractor area. Spray cleaner in the upper area brush it. After that a few 4 swipes with a bore snake with cleaner and oil on the last end.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I have the MP15-22 as well, kinda wondering what mods you guys have done. Every place I have ordered the shorty mags from has gone backorder. I live in Cali and can only have 10rd, and have 3 of the standard banana looking ones, but want to get the shorty mags to save space and have more rounds. Anyone have pics of their mods? I was thinking of MAKO foregrip/bipod. More interested in a nice optic though. I love 22's for the sheer fact you can dump so many more rounds and not go broke. Cool lil rifle.

·
Registered
2,806 Posts
I have the MP15-22 as well, kinda wondering what mods you guys have done. Every place I have ordered the shorty mags from has gone backorder. I live in Cali and can only have 10rd, and have 3 of the standard banana looking ones, but want to get the shorty mags to save space and have more rounds. Anyone have pics of their mods? I was thinking of MAKO foregrip/bipod. More interested in a nice optic though. I love 22's for the sheer fact you can dump so many more rounds and not go broke. Cool lil rifle.
I havent done any mods to mine, didnt see the need for any... my Ruger 10/22 however has a lot of mods;)

I might as well throw in my 15-22... I did do the coloring on the engraving myself, if you want to consider that a mod...

·
Registered
2,806 Posts
///MCoupé;3000728 said:
If I remember correctly the manual says you can go at least 500rds or so before cleaning too... ?
I put close to 500 rounds through mine on the first time out;) To be fair, I did have to pop it open after a few hundred and wipe some crud off the bolt and the extractor that caused a failure to feed... but I think that was because I overlubed it and that gummed it up a bit, .22lr is not the cleanest ammo after all:rolleyes: Other than that it worked flawlessly... and its tons of fun, my trigger finger was actually cramping up towards the end LOL:p

·
Registered
431 Posts
Here's my SIG522LR: Has UTG bipod and UTG front combat grip with a NC Star green laser and NC Star tactical light. The scope is a inexpensive ($35) Simmons 9x32 which has been dead-eye accurate. All the accessories are "cheap" as I just use this for a plinker and they just give the gun a cool look factor.

·
Registered
2,806 Posts
Nice 10/22, the stock finish looks killer. Love the thumb-hole setup
Its a laminate stock, made my Boyds, they do some for other rifles too, and they have different variations for the 10/22 other than this one also... definitely worth the money, I think mine was right around 100 bucks... the picture doesnt even come close to doing it justice though, its a sexy beast, and the thumbhole grip is superb for handling and control:cool:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts