Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
14,385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK this maybe a dumb question but I don't know.

The Ruger website has a video that explains how to clean an SP101. They use a wetted patch from the muzzle to clean the barrel and nothing else. (They use a bronze brush on the cylinders but that's not what I'm asking about.)

In the owners manual it says

To clean the revolver after firing, swing the cylinder out and clean the barrel
from the muzzle by running a cleaning rod with a solvent coated patch through the bore several times. A bronze wire brush (of correct size for gun caliber) attached to the cleaning rod should then be pushed the full length of the bore several times. Again swab the bore with a solvent coated patch. Then wipe the rod clean and, using a dry patch, swab the bore until it is clean. Examine the bore to be sure that no fouling remains. Repeat the above procedure for each of the five chambers.

So if I'm understanding this correctly they are pushing a brush from the muzzle end to the chamber? I always thought that you only push a bronze brush from the chamber TO the muzzle NOT the other way. This would apply to any handgun not just the SP101.

·
Registered
10,949 Posts
If you found a way to push a bronze brush from the chamber to muzzle, I would like to know about it.

You could always get a bore snake. I don't have any, but I hear they work great. I do it the old fashioned way.

I pretty much do what the manual says (coincidence, as I don't have a manual for my ruger). I believe the concept of running the rod in the muzzle way is that the material used in the rod should be softer than steel, therefore not messing up the crown or anything else. The step of using the brass brush is an important one, especially if you use round nose lead bullets.

If you are careful, you should be fine. FWIW I always go chamber end with my automatics and any other gun that allows.

·
Registered
14,385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks.

I agree, there isn't a way to get a brush from the chamber to the muzzle in a revolver. It just seemed that the proper direction to travel through a barrel was the direction the bullet goes. I know the bronze or plastic brush is softer than the steel of the barrel but when the video did not mention doing it I assumed that you shouldn't. Then I see the owner's manual says to do it so that's why I am confused.

I think you'd get the barrel cleaner using a brush vs just the patches. The fact the OM says to do it well then I guess if Ruger says to then it's OK. Just curious what others thought.

·
Registered
19,923 Posts
This is a funny thread.

Yes I push muzzle to chamber. It's not gonna hurt the gun. Just try not to ram the rod end into the breech face. Not that it's gonna hurt it but you'll feel bad when you do it.

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
As long as you use bronze brushes-- brush away!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
14,385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks. Appreciate the info as always. New to firearms though I had a 22 pistol and rifle when I was young but I can't remember how I cleaned the pistol back then.

·
Registered
3,278 Posts
The only concern you should have with muzzle to chamber cleaning is the possibility of damaging the crown. Don't use a steel rod, and do insure that the bore brush is started into the barrel straight so as not to mar the crown.

The Otis cleaning cable is also an excellent suggestion. It is a flexible, coated, cable that is great for cleaning all firearms that are hard or impossible to otherwise clean from the chamber to the muzzle.

·
Registered
18,867 Posts
I've started using Eliminator bore cleaner and have been really impressed. Also cleans the front of the cylinder easy.

Wet patches, bronze brush, clean patches with a jag, if spotless stop if not start over again.

I'm rather OCD about the barrel's in my guns, but when I put the gun away after cleaning the barrel is absolutely spotless.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts