Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,383 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My first cleaning on the new SP101 didn't go well. The powder residue didn't want to come off. A 3M pad cleans it good but shining the gun every time seems overkill.
When cleaning my friend's neglected stainless .44 Mag we had the same problems. His hadn't been cleaned in years and the stuff was like baked on. Is there a good product for this?

·
Registered
11,293 Posts
Brake Cleaner? :confused:

·
Registered
316 Posts
Birchwood Casey makes a lead remover polishing cloth I use on mine. Just cut a small piece off & rub. It works great! Only use it on stainless guns!!

·
Premium Member
16,428 Posts
Hoppes No 9 and a nylon brush.

·
Registered
22,574 Posts
Hoppes No 9 and a nylon brush.
B een using that for years. If it's too dirty then you may have to let it soak, use a copper brush and repeat until it's cleaned. I let it set at least 15 minutes before brushing it out.

·
Registered
38 Posts
ED's Red Bore Cleaner!!!

CONTENTS: Ed's Red Bore Cleaner

1 part Dexron II, IIe or III ATF, GM Spec. D-20265 or later.

1 part Kerosene - deodorized, K1

1 part Aliphatic Mineral Spirits, Fed. Spec. TT-T-2981F, CAS
#64741-49-9, or may substitute "Stoddard Solvent", CAS #8052-41-3, or
equivalent, (aka "Varsol")

1 part Acetone, CAS #67-64-1.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Just use Froglube on my GP-100 and it looks great. I had been testing it on my XD40sc and it did a great job on it during the test period. I gave a way everything else and it's Froglube for all guns from now on. My wife even lets me clean my guns in the house since it smells good.

·
Registered
24 Posts
We love hearing stories like yours. I like to say that my wife could clean her SIG 230 in the house...she won't, but she could!

For any XD Talk members in California or AZ, we will be at the Del Mar Gun Show this weekend. Phoenix and Ontario after that, if you would like to see a FrogLube demo.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts