Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I took my brand new 9mm SC to the range to put some rounds through it(I think Im in love already itching to go back) and get working on my accuracy(first handgun). Afterwords I cleaned an put it all back together but I noticed the Striker Status Indicator was sticking out and no it was not loaded. Did I do something wrong?

·
Registered
107 Posts
It's normal, the striker is cocked by the slide being pulled to the rear (which you have to do in order to put the slide back on after field stripping). So, everytime you pull the slide the the rear the striker indicator will protude showing the weapon is cocked.

Make sure the gun is unloaded (twice;)), then pull the trigger (while pointed in a safe direction of course) and you will see the indicator is no longer visible. Rack the slide, and it's protruding again. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys like I said I am a noob at this so trying to make sure I am doing it right.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Thanks guys like I said I am a noob at this so trying to make sure I am doing it right.
me too, that's why we are here to help and learn from each others....than making a mistake you can't fix ;)

·
Premium Member
16,428 Posts
Did you just field strip it or did you remove the striker striker plate, striker, striker status indicator etc...

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just field strip I would probably be overwhelmed if I tried a full strip right now.

·
Premium Member
16,428 Posts
You'll get around to it sooner or later. :) Once you start taking it apart it can get addictive.

Sounds like the gun is just cocked like the other guys were saying.

·
Registered
246 Posts
You'll get around to it sooner or later. :) Once you start taking it apart it can get addictive.

Sounds like the gun is just cocked like the other guys were saying.
I've got the tools and I've been slowly taking a few things apart. It does add another dimension to cleaning. :D

·
Registered
855 Posts
Nice move on cleaning your gun after your range session. :)

I used to field strip and clean after every other visit. Now I do it after every visit. It only takes a few minutes and is well worth it IMO.

·
Registered
6 Posts
New XD(M) 40 owner here and lovin it!

I know there are post similar to this one so I'll just piggy back on this one.

Since pretty much anything you do after shooting or cleaning the XD causes the striker to be cocked, you're pretty much forced to dry fire it to release the striker tension. I find this strange since SA went to great lengths to create a gun that could be Field stripped without dry firing it.
So i guess my question is, are most people dry firing after shooting or cleaning the gun, or are you just leaving it cocked when storing it?

Thanks

·
Registered
44 Posts

Since pretty much anything you do after shooting or cleaning the XD causes the striker to be cocked, you're pretty much forced to dry fire it to release the striker tension. I find this strange since SA went to great lengths to create a gun that could be Field stripped without dry firing it.
So i guess my question is, are most people dry firing after shooting or cleaning the gun, or are you just leaving it cocked when storing it?

Thanks
I think SA designed the field strip for you to rack the slide then flip the lever in order to make the user make sure their gun is unloaded before dry fire. But by no means should that be the only procedure when checking and rechecking if your firearm is unloaded.

·
Registered
246 Posts

Thanks
Since I leave mine unloaded, I also leave it uncocked as well. I'm not sure it makes a huge difference because the striker spring and the return spring are always under tension.

Some people might ask why bother having an unloaded gun. Here's my reasoning- if anyone broke into my house, I could load a mag and chamber a round- that sound alone should scare them off :D

·
Registered
250 Posts
ome people might ask why bother having an unloaded gun. Here's my reasoning- if anyone broke into my house, I could load a mag and chamber a round- that sound alone should scare them off :D
Why not just leave the loaded mag in the gun, then rack the slide when needed...one less thing to drop or take time with(also another safety precaution) This is what I do.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Why not just leave the loaded mag in the gun, then rack the slide when needed...one less thing to drop or take time with(also another safety precaution) This is what I do.
I feel pretty safe in my house and I'd rather not take the chance of an ND since I share walls with my neighbors. In short, the risk outweighs the reward. YMMV

·
Registered
285 Posts
+1 This is how I keep my XD9 when indoors. I live in an apartment (on the wrong side of town) where my neighbors are a few sheets of drywall away, but I know as long as I have not racked the slide of my gun, there is no way it can fire. So I keep a fully loaded mag inside of her at all times, I just NEVER rack the slide unless I intend to fire. I feel this is the optimum way to keep a gun around the house, in regards to safety and the time it takes to load up and take a defensive position. (opinions welcome!)

BTW There are no kids in the house, and my GF respects my gun and does not touch it unless I hand it to her.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts