Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

I pick up my XDM 9mm today and I was wondering if I should do a cleaning prior to taking it to the range. I know that you can take it out of the box and start shooting but I was thinking it cant hurt to give it a once over before shooting it right? Just wondering what people here did, take it right out of the box and start shooting or clean it prior to the range? I am leaning toward a light cleaning prior to the range.

Cheers!

·
Registered
30 Posts
FWIW, I was trained to always do a light cleaning and inspection of every weapon I intend to shoot for the first time. Don't trust that there are no defects from the factory. A light cleaning will allow you the opportunity to do an inspection.

While you are at it, apply your lube of choice to the appropriate areas.

NEVER fire any gun right out of the box.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I always clean the bore and put a little CLP on the weapon.

You never know what type of packing grease they use or how much. Rather be safe then sorry!

·
Registered
255 Posts
All I did was...Strip it, check it, but it back together, shoot it. worked great 150rds 1st no problems. Then cleaned it.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Maybe its a little outdated, but my dad always told me to clean a new gun. Who knows what they used to lube it and who knows what kind of grunk has attached itself to the lube? At the very least, clean and lube the barrel

·
Premium Member
1,795 Posts
I echo all that has been said; always strip a new gun (just so I know how it goes comes apart) and clean everything before putting it back together and going to the range.

·
Premium Member
11,114 Posts
I echo all that has been said; always strip a new gun (just so I know how it goes comes apart) and clean everything before putting it back together and going to the range.
I agree to everyone's response! :p

·
Registered
72 Posts
FWIW, I was trained to always do a light cleaning and inspection of every weapon I intend to shoot for the first time. Don't trust that there are no defects from the factory. A light cleaning will allow you the opportunity to do an inspection.

While you are at it, apply your lube of choice to the appropriate areas.

NEVER fire any gun right out of the box.
+1

1 - 9 of 9 Posts