Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright, got a noob question about cc. When leaving my EDC in a vehicle (parking lot of a school, post office, airport, etc), if I leave it in a locked glove box with the vehicle locked, can I leave it loaded? All I seem to find info on is moving it to the trunk where I have to unload it before exiting the car. Specifically I'm talking Illinois. Anyone with knowledge in this area?

·
Registered
8,278 Posts
Alright, got a noob question about cc. When leaving my EDC in a vehicle (parking lot of a school, post office, airport, etc), if I leave it in a locked glove box with the vehicle locked, can I leave it loaded? All I seem to find info on is moving it to the trunk where I have to unload it before exiting the car. Specifically I'm talking Illinois. Anyone with knowledge in this area?
to my knowledge having a firearm, loaded or otherwise, in the parking area of a school or post office is the same thing as carrying on the property--it being inside a vehicle doesn't change that...still risking a Federal Felony...

I also do not advocate leaving a loaded firearm in a vehicle for any duration of time, unless it is in a specifically designed and properly installed lockbox...its just a risk I am uncomfortable with...a locked glovebox has about as much security to it as reinforced cardboard; somebody breaks into a vehicle and finds the glove compartment locked they know exactly where to focus efforts; repeat offender gains access to a firearm you weren't supposed to have on the property and you might be in even deeper hot water...

·
Registered
10,949 Posts
The gun free school zone act specifically has an exemption for concealed carry holders. You need to check the state laws now.

·
Registered
8,278 Posts
The gun free school zone act specifically has an exemption for concealed carry holders. You need to check the state laws now.
do you have a link to that? this stuff changes so fast I cannot always keep up...

·
Premium Member
18,061 Posts

·
Registered
8,278 Posts
724.4B Carrying weapons on school grounds — penalty — exceptions.
1. A person who goes armed with, carries, or transports a firearm of any kind, whether concealed or not, on the grounds of a school commits a class “D” felony. For the purposes of this section, “school” means a public or nonpublic school as defined in section 280.2
724.4A Weapons free zones — enhanced penalties.
1. As used in this section, “weapons free zone” means the area in or on, or within one thousand feet of, the real property comprising a public or private elementary or secondary school, or in or on the real property comprising a public park. A weapons free zone shall not include that portion of a public park designated as a hunting area under section 461A.42.
2. Notwithstanding sections 902.9 and 903.1, a person who commits a public offense involving a firearm or offensive weapon, within a weapons free zone, in violation of this or any other chapter shall be subject to a fine of twice the maximum amount which may otherwise be imposed for the public offense.
94 Acts, ch 1172, §53
seems pretty straightforward to me...mentions transporting onto school grounds which means a vehicle--ie DON'T DO IT

·
Registered
10,949 Posts
seems pretty straightforward to me...mentions transporting onto school grounds which means a vehicle--ie DON'T DO IT
There is an exemption somewhere in there for permit holders. A handful of states allow parents to bring their guns into the school. Utah comes to mind perhaps.

·
Registered
10,949 Posts
Anyway, I have read (although I would not advocate being the test case) that the only person to actually give a poop about this law would be a fed. Most local cops probably don't even know about it.

Does this include on public roads? That means hundreds of thousands of people commit felonies every day if it does.

A shining example of over reach by the Feds. **** them.

·
Registered
8,278 Posts
Anyway, I have read (although I would not advocate being the test case) that the only person to actually give a poop about this law would be a fed. Most local cops probably don't even know about it.

Does this include on public roads? That means hundreds of thousands of people commit felonies every day if it does.

A shining example of over reach by the Feds. **** them.
"Fair Passage" public roads are exempt in Iowa...which is how I get my son to school when I need to drop him off, without committing a felony

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
There is an exemption somewhere in there for permit holders. A handful of states allow parents to bring their guns into the school. Utah comes to mind perhaps.
Illinois law states you can leave the gun in a case in a locked vehicle (out of sight), or unload it inside then move it to the trunk. Just doesn't say if it has to be unloaded when locked up inside the cabin of the vehicle. My question doesn't come from wanting to leave it for several days or hours, just 5 or 10 minutes while I run inside. Better safe than sorry, will just unload it first. Thanks for all the feedback.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Best to just read up on Iowa laws...

http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/iowa.pdf
http://www.usacarry.com/support/knowledgebase-category/iowa/
https://www.legis.iowa.gov/DOCS/ACO/IC/LINC/Chapter.724.pdf

Last link has details on carrying on school grounds and exceptions.

IANAL. I DID NOT READ ANY INFORMATION IN THESE LINKS. I DO NOT LIVE IN IOWA.
Why would he read Iowa laws when he said he wanted to know about Illinois?

Anyways to the OP you may want to check out handgunlaw.us if you have not already. Also, search for an Illinois concealed carry forum. My state has one and have found it to be most informative.

·
Registered
632 Posts
All the information your need is contained within your state laws, opinions on the internet will not help only the text of your laws will. Find them and read them over and over and over.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Being a new CCW holder, and I mean new as I picked up my permit less than 2 hours ago. California CCW holders are exempt from the school property / gun free zone. Only deal is if someone sees it and they ask you to leave you must leave or that is trespassing.

Per my instructors do NOT use the glovebox ever. Use a lock box, a club brand cabled to the car as an example. While the car is parked unless you are going to or from the range to shoot that is storage not transportation. In loaded, locked secured is my understanding. I would list statute but that is CA anyway and doesn't help he OP.

What my instructors said was if stolen from the car, when you go to report it and tell them you left it in he glovebox it is a good chance they just might revoke your permit. Do everything you can to prevent someone getting a loaded, stolen, weapon.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts