Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I received a email from Turner's for there weekly sales ad on Thursday 5/19. They have the Citadel BossHog semi auto shotgun for $220. TFB tv on you tube did a review on this shotgun were they pretty much bashed the shotgun to death even referring to it as the Shitadel 😂. I couldn't help but to buy one for myself to test, so I bought 2. I plan on torturing 1 of them to see if it's really as bad as they claim and the other I plan on going thru it and polishing all the internals and trying to get it as reliable as possible. It will never see 3" shells or any high powered buck or slugs, nuthing but a diet of budget target loads. Unfortunately they didn't have any at the local store but they do have them in stock at there where house. So I have to wait to start the DROS process.
Handwriting Black Font Material property Parallel

So $485 for 2 semi shotguns is just nuts to me. I can't wait to break 1 😂. Already have a extension tube for 1 of them on the way. Stay tuned for what should be a fun thread.

·
Registered
275 Posts
It will be interesting to hear the results... that's awfully low priced, but then again most Turkish shotguns are shrug.

Reactions: Mike51392

·
Premium Member
26,904 Posts
Following for sure!

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Hi,

This looks like fun! :D

Thanks for sharing.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

·
Registered
965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Minor Update - Still waiting on Turner's to receive my 2 Citadel BossHogs. I did receive a few parts that I ordered for what I'm calling a "Budget Combat Shotgun". So 4+1 capacity works but it could be better. So Bam! a Choate +3 extension tube, that takes us to 7+1 capacity. Ordered from midway usa, shipped to my house $54.74
Product Cosmetics Liquid Lipstick Goggles

Next we have Shell Holders. Why? Cause every Combat shotgun needs ammo on board 😂. These super Chinese made shell holders are pretty impressive. They have a good amount of retention to them, I shook them vigorously with out any shells falling off. They come with alcohol pads and double sided tape for installation 😂. I will be mounting them with some type of hardware. They were $7.99 for 2 on Amazon. I really am impressed with them I ordered a 2nd unit for a Mossberg 500.
Rectangle Household hardware Wood Font Metal

Next we have quick disconnect swivels. Why? I have no idea. I don't care for a sling on a shotgun, but I guess if you have to carry the thing all day long it would help. So yes I'm well aware that these swivels are designed to be used with mlok cutouts. I'm just gonna have to figure something out. A really cool feature about these swivels is they are fixed position they index and lock in to place and at $9.99 from Amazon, I'm happy with them.
Bicycle part Gas Font Household hardware Auto part

So that means I need a sling. I'm also thinking about a RDS just for the cool tactitard look. Oh I definitely want a light with a pressure switch. I'm gonna do some more drunk Amazon shopping 😂.

·
Registered
965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Update: Started the DROS process today. I should be able to pick up the Citadels on the 14th. There was a mix up on Turner's end as they received the shotguns 5 days after I placed my order. I was never notified but I understand that things have to be super stressful for these guy's right now. The store Manager is a super nice guy he heard me say I was thirsty and quickly brought me a cold Gatorade on the house.

·
Registered
965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Alright so finally got them out of jail.
Wood Tool Knife Blade Hunting knife

Man these things feel cheap 😅. Just gotta get them cleaned and give them a little Love. This Saturday I have a shoot. There will be 5 of us running them for a total of 500 rounds plus. It will be a good little exercise between the 2.

·
Registered
965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So I decided to take advantage of a unscheduled mental health day. So I decided I will bring a BossHog with me and give it the official title of my "Budget Combat Shotgun" . So I prepared her this morning for her first outing. I think the hulk is helping them assemble these things. I couldn't screw off the magazine cap by hand.
Product Black Sleeve Glove Wood

Taking this shotgun apart is eazy and straight forward. The most difficult part was removing the charging handle. Look at those machine marks.
You can find machine marks all over the place. Surprisingly all edges and areas where there will be rubbing/movement are smooth.
Rectangle Wood Font Linens Strap

Writing implement Green Office supplies Camera accessory Office equipment

Office supplies Cylinder Gas Auto part Metal

Bumper Automotive exterior Gas Auto part Vehicle door

Automotive tire Grille Automotive lighting Bumper Automotive exterior

This particular gun to seems like a refurbished gun. The barrel did come with a few scratches and a tad of rust on the choke tube. It did not bother me 1 bit as it's a cheap project gun and I got a slight discount on ammo. The 1 thing that is a hair concerning is a dent on the gas cup but I can send back if needed.
Automotive tire Bumper Synthetic rubber Rim Automotive exterior

Office supplies Tints and shades Writing implement Everyday carry Electric blue

The trigger out of the box is good and is probably only going to get better. Alright mates I'm gonna finish packing up and I will return with a report.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Wow, I have to admit I didn't except to see such obvious machining marks even on a 200ish dollar shotgun!

·
Registered
965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Awesome therapy session. I took 130 rounds to break in the Citadel Bosshog.
Font Rectangle Red Wood Gas

I had two targets setup side by side @ 10yards.
Sky Wall Landscape Hat Travel

My plan was to go:
50 of #8
20 of buck
25 of #8
10 of slug
25 of #8
Things did quite work out that way. After the slugs, the stock came loose. I had 2 FTF on the next 5 #8. The stock was really loose and It pretty much ran like a pump. I didn't want to damage the stock so I called it quits . I got home and broke her down and gave her a bath.
Font Typesetting Eyewear Office equipment Musical instrument accessory

I inspected every piece carefully including the receiver. After shooting 115 rounds here's what she looks like.
Nail Bicycle part Camera accessory Carbon Electric blue

I wanted to run a few hundred rounds before I started modifying her but I just couldn't help myself.
Auto part Office supplies Fashion accessory Metal Font

Here's my .15cent charging handle upgrade.
Household hardware Nickel Cylinder Office supplies Engineering

Here's the extension tube. I need to remove the crimp before I install the Choate Extension tube.
Automotive tire Cylinder Bicycle part Gas Nickel

The most common way I've seen is just cutting off 1/8" the extension tube. Well I'm super limited to my choice of tools. So I just used a drill and step drill. Worked wonderfully.

·
Registered
965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Wheel Automotive tire Tire Automotive lighting Bicycle part

Used a file to clean it up a bit. I was able to use the extension tube lock ring as a guide.
Automotive tire Tire Bicycle part Audio equipment Rim

I super happy with how it came out.
Automotive design Automotive tire Gas Electrical wiring Wood

I couldn't find my blue lock tight. So I used a tiny bit of red. As I will be breaking this gun down a few more times.
Automotive lighting Tool Office supplies Bullet Writing implement

Alright let's go. A apparently the extension tubes from Choate include a butt plug 😂.
Handgun holster Wood Glove Belt Strap

That's what it looks like installed I don't have a 3/8 ratchet extension so I can't install the stock just yet.
As you can see I installed the swivel and the shell holder is just taped on for now as I still have to play with my setup before I permanently mount it.
Musical instrument Guitar Guitar accessory Electronic instrument Musical instrument accessory

Here's the holder with shells. The swivel was heated then placed on to the stock. I wanted the qd mount to sit as level as possible. Heating it helped as it melted a bit in to the stock.
Musical instrument accessory Gas Bumper Auto part Composite material

Bumper Automotive design Automotive exterior Hood Auto part

·
Registered
965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Jaw Neck Gesture Finger Eyelash

Here are the m lock nuts installed with lock tight.
Notice the thickness of the plastic stock. It's pretty thick and after shooting it and really getting a feel for it. It really does feel sturdy.
Automotive tire Wood Bicycle part Auto part Font

Here it is mocked up in the box. The gun shot great to me the gun feels a little over gased. Which would make sense if it's a refurbished gun. I had a blast shooting this thing. I recommend a complete wax on wax off before shooting it. I have a video I'm working on I should have it up tomorrow.
Bumper Automotive exterior Composite material Auto part Rectangle

This is definitely on the to do list. That button is stiff. I'm definitely going with a red dot. The loading port needs to be opened up. A sling, light, and a front swivel.

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Hi!

Excellent! A range report and a gunsmith lesson in the same post. Well done all around.

BassCliff

·
Registered
965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
So things went awesome Saturday night attended and shoot the big bonanza at night. I was able to run the 2nd Citadel. This shotgun appears to be brand spanking new. Even the internals are made of different colored material 😂.

All shots fired were Stars n stripes 11/8oz 1250fps #8 loads. A total of 180-190 rounds were fired out of this Bosshog. I did not give it any special treatment out of the box other than a quick wipe down and oil. She had 6-8 random problems through out the end of the day after the first hundred rounds. I broke this gun down to pieces gave her a good bath and inspected it closely. No signs of excessive wear. Once I got her back together and lubed all the parts need a little lube she felt a lot smoother. I think these guns are a little on the over gased side witch I don't mind. These guns remind me more of my Mossberg 500 than they do my Beretta A400 (gas gun).

The citadel's are super fun guns to shoot. I was planning on using the 2nd 1 as a back up or even a guest gun. The reality, is I can't use them at my club as there 20" barrel length is to short (24" + required). You definitely can hear a deference and see a difference. The 2nd Bosshog will probably just get a extension tube and Bam call it a day.

Attachments

·
Registered
965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Here's the light installed it's awesome I have to come up with some semi permanent way of mounting the pressure switch.
Tire Bicycle Bicycle frame Bicycle tire Automotive tire

Typewriter Office supplies Office equipment Laptop Bumper

Office supplies Office equipment Bicycle part Trigger Metal

Here's a pic with out the pressure switch. I played around with the cap switch and remote switch. I prefer the remote switch. Im pretty happy with the results so far.

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Hey!

That looks like a really neat install. Nice work. But is the Velcro affected by barrel heat?

Oh man! Now I'm jonesing for a tactical shotgun. 😁😁

BassCliff

1 - 20 of 33 Posts