Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How important is it? I'm looking at picking up an AR and I see LOTS of options some with a chrome barrel some without.

If it increases the life of the barrel by how much? I don't plan on putting 10,000's of thousands of rounds through...

Thank you,

·
Registered
838 Posts
Like everything, it depends. Chrome lining adds to longevity but may detract from accuracy when compared to quality , non chromed bbls.

These explanations of various parts and their relative importance is from the famous "chart" and gives very good info and explanation of what specs mean and how you can use them. Not all specs are appropriate to different users however so this chart (explanation) can be of lots of help deciding what is or isn't important to you.

https://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=pwswheghNQsEuEhjFwPrgTA&single=true&gid=5&output=html

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
How important is it? I'm looking at picking up an AR and I see LOTS of options some with a chrome barrel some without.

If it increases the life of the barrel by how much? I don't plan on putting 10,000's of thousands of rounds through...

Thank you,
it prolongs life of the barrel significantly sometimes at the cost of accuracy. Unless your capable and need a sub MOA rifle than you want it. If you need to be able to shoot the wings off a fly at 500 yards than get a stainless steel match barrel. What are you looking for in an AR15?

·
Registered
838 Posts
it prolongs life of the barrel significantly sometimes at the cost of accuracy. Unless your capable and need a sub MOA rifle than you want it. If you need to be able to shoot the wings off a fly at 500 yards than get a stainless steel match barrel. What are you looking for in an AR15?
:p

Agree!;)

·
Registered
5,759 Posts
If chrome lining is a deal breaker for you, go ahead and get a chrome lined barrel.

As for longevity, even a chromemoly or stainless steel barrel is going to last thousands upon thousands of rounds, so for a lot of people, is a moot point. Especially since most people are competent enough to clean their own weapon as they see fit.

A barrel is typically going to cost less than $250 no matter what kind you get. As the others have said, is just going to boil down to which one you want.

·
Registered
6,680 Posts
I've seen two different Bushmaster Shorties with 16", chrome-lined barrels, match triggers (JP) and free-floated barrels shoot .5", five-shot groups @ 100 yds. If you need better accuracy than that, then don't get the chrome-lined barrel. Except for the RRA Varmint barrel that I used for my first build, all my ARs sport chrome-lined barrels.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Actually I was asking as the AR I plan to order does not come with a chrome lined barrel so odds are I'm not getting one.

As others have said, it was confirmed that the odds of me "shooting the barrel out" are slim to none.

So the chrome is not a deal breaker....I was just wondering how much longer it may last...

·
Registered
6,680 Posts
Chrome is easier to clean; doesn't foul as quickly, so groups don't open up as quickly. Chrome-lined barrels will last thousands or shots more than non-chrome barrels.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts