Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Chronograph but have not had time to use it. Its a real hassle to use at the indoor range and all the location I shoot outdoors are a bit of a drive and I have not had time to get there. I have a USPSA match this weekend and the remanufactured ammo I have does not make Major. {I was a bit torqued :x as I have a lot of it and now I will have to use it for production and practice ammo}. So I was wondering if anyone has chronographed some factory ammunition through their XD. I am specifically interested in WWB (180grain) or Remington UMC (180grain) (because they are relatively inexpensive and I like 180 grain bullets) fired through an XD-40 Tactical. Both of those loads according to manufacture’s published data should be above the required 165PF but so was the remanufacture ammo according to the data they published (yes, I have called them and they blamed the chronograph :? ). It was suppose to be a 180PF but when it was chronographed after the last match it came up 143 in my XD-40 Service and 154 in my XD-40 Tactical. It was not a big issue being a small local match but I don't want to 'cheat' :shock: either so I want to be sure I meet PF for this weekend match or I will have to shoot minor. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

mcb

·
Registered
452 Posts
Don't know if you looked over at the BE forums yet but I swear I remembering several thread where folks had chrono'd WWB stuff and it made major.

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys,

I forgot to do search over at BE's forum. Indeed it looks like both will make major out of either of my XD's. I went with Remington UMC as I had a 10% off coupon for Gander Mountain and they carry UMC for $46 for 250 rounds. I should be good for the weekend. I will probably shoot the old ammo in my service and shoot production. I am building my Tactical up as a limited-10 gun. I really like Limited-10 you can modify the gun quite a bit if you like and you still get to reload a lot since you’re limited to 10 round magazines. Reloading as part of the course of fire is a lot of fun. IMHO the Limited and Open shooter are missing out on all the fun with their 20+ round magazines. :lol:

So far my XD-40 Tactical - Limited-10:

Added a Don's guide rod in place of the hollow factor one
Changed out the 18# factor recoil spring with a 16# spring recoil spring
Added my own designed and machined magazine well

Thanks again guys.
mcb

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
XD -40 5"

WWB 165 grain gave a PF of 178
WWB 180 gr PF=181
Speer Gold dot 180 gr JHP PF=191

I tested it 2 months ago, cool day 55 degrees...

Don't let anyone bullshit you about WWB being 'wimpy' stuff.

My 4" barrel gave about 20fps less velocity

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank Mullanman,

I was a bit put off with the remanufactured ammo. My XD's love the stuff, no FTF, fairly accurate and it was dirt cheap but at only 856fps (5inch) it just won't cut it for USPSA.

One thing I do want to do is re-chronograph the ammo. We were using a chronograph on a sunny day late in the afternoon; I have read that sometime the sun can cast weird shadows that can cause bad reading with a chronograph. The best conditions are overcast skies. I will have to break out my own chrono and try again. It might just be the chrono as the remanufactured ammo does not seem to be that much lighter of a load then WWB or UMC.

Anyway I will be shooting factory ammo this weekend. And I am looking forward to it. The stages look like they will be a lot of fun. One is the Classifier CM03-04 3-V and another stage will have a Texas Star in it.

Thanks
mcb

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
mullanman said:
Don't let anyone bullshit you about WWB being 'wimpy' stuff.
I'll certainly agree with the 40 but the 9 has been iffy at best. I had a valuepack last year that about 20 rounds of it didn't even make MINOR ranging from 1000-1050fps each. I gave a Winchester CS rep an ass ripping about it after she accused me of using a pocket pistol to chrono from.

On the otherhand, I've not had any issues from 147gr whitebox.

·
Registered
688 Posts
I use the WWB 115's in my service 9mm. Tested it at local range at 134.7. Tested at KY State match at 137 and up in MI at a cool Catholic School Charity Match this past weekend and it tested at 133.7 PF.

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
MCB wrote:
Anyway I will be shooting factory ammo this weekend. And I am looking forward to it. The stages look like they will be a lot of fun. One is the Classifier CM03-04 3-V and another stage will have a Texas Star in it.

Tip: on 03-04

Shoot your weak side 1st. Engage the targets from far to near. this one is not a speed shoot. Aim for the Upper A-B zone and make you hits. Hit the T4 on your Strong side, again far to near.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts