Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
It seems like there are endless options when choosing a target for the range. I'm still a novice shooter, just getting into things. Are there specific targets ( 2 or 3 options) that are good for all around range shooting? (using 9mm @ 5-25yrds)

I've been looking at options like B-27, B-29, B-8..... (Round & silhouette options)

I wont be speed shooting or anything, just trying to get the basics down and work on my mechanics & accuracy.

I'm drawn to this target for some reason: target
It seems like something you can get a ton of use out of 1 target. Big target, bright colors. But then again....that's why I ask this question. I'm still not sure what are "good" & "Bad" options.

·
Registered
9,649 Posts
Someone give him the target with all of the words on it.

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
Steel is good for knowing you are hitting a target, but no so good for trying to gain accuracy. It is fun to ping some steel from 25 yards but you don't learn much other than how to shoot steel from 25 yards. Paper is the way to go for honing skills. Jmho.

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
Steel is good for knowing you are hitting a target, but no so good for trying to gain accuracy. It is fun to ping some steel from 25 yards but you don't learn much other than how to shoot steel from 25 yards. Paper is the way to go for honing skills. Jmho.
All my steel is painted multiple times throughout the session so you can tell exactly where you are hitting. More so than even paper.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Wouldn't it be a burden to lug a big piece of steel to the range each time vs rolling up some large paper targets?

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
Wouldn't it be a burden to lug a big piece of steel to the range each time vs rolling up some large paper targets?
LOL Yeah, if you have to set it up every time it's a PITA.

My in-laws have a land so I leave it set up.

Go shoot steel when you can. It makes shooting paper pretty boring.

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
Yes. And unless you have property to shoot at or a gun club with steel pits, you probably have nowhere to shoot it. An indoor range isn't going to let you shoot steel.

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
LOL Yeah, if you have to set it up every time it's a PITA.

My in-laws have a land so I leave it set up.

Go shoot steel when you can. It makes shooting paper pretty boring.
Beat me to it, haha.

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
Yeah an indoor range isn't going to let you shoot steel.

One of your local clubs probably puts on a steel shoot.

·
Registered
3,422 Posts
I like to use a lightly colored FBI Q target with 1"x1" dark colored stickers and a sharpie. The FBI Q target is a great humanoid torso for speed practice and the stickers and sharpie will let you add as much difficulty/precision as your imagination can provide.

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
I have some of those B21E targets you linked to.
Along with having the vitals diagrammed, the various colored Shapes are great if you have someone shooting with you. You can take turns calling out "Yellow", "White", "Orange", or "Circle", "Diamond", "Square" to shoot at.
Plus, with the shapes being small, it keeps me in the mind set of 'Aim Small...'. :)

Reactions: JTOUPS1214

·
Registered
4,754 Posts
multiple steel plates placed all around the range. get creative have fun. play a song with the pings lol.

3x3s 4x4 5x5 cut 1/2" plates with a hole drilled for a nail probably don't weigh as much as my ammo can.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts