Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Banned
1,546 Posts
whatever you can afford that reliabily functions int he gun and that you can practice with.

DO a search for "9mm ammo" "defensive ammo"

·
Registered
94 Posts
CorBon makes a 9mm +P PowRBall that is supposed to be good. It's got a little plastic pellet in the hollowpoint that allows it to penetrate clothing and expand inside the body. Down side is it's only 100gr (483 ft/lbs).

·
Premium Member
28,481 Posts
My gunshop had a bunch of boxes of Federal Hi-shock 147gr. JHP for $15 for a box of 50. That's fairly cheap considering Gold Dots and Federal "Premium" defense ammo is about that much for 20 rounds. There also seems to be a fair amount of it floating around. Check Ammoman.

ETA: I go with what's affordable and has a good reputation. The Hi-shock is what I carry.

Krackels

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
Federal Hydroshock or Speer GoldDot for me. The cops here use them so they are more defensible in court. Go with waht local or state LEOs use, that way if you do have to use them you have precedent for why you used that particular load. Never use handloads, too much of a liability.

·
Registered
758 Posts
Well, I can spend $15+ for some good 9mm SD ammo, or I can spend $8.00 with cupon on a box of 50 158gr JHP 357mag. :D 7 shots BOOM

·
Registered
5,705 Posts
I don't say this to flame anyone despite what it may sound like to some. This is just my opinion. I find it difficult to believe some, if not most of you are worried about cost when it comes to a defensive round; a round that you supposedly are choosing to possibly save your life and the life of those you love. IMO the cost of the round shouldn't be the factor; the important factors are those rounds that have proven themselves thru scientific testing and real world use to be a robust round that penetrates and expands sufficiently to stop the threat.

Now, I'm not saying buy the most expensive round out there because that means it's the best round because I'm not, but I don't believe just because you can buy ammo at Wal mart for $11 for 50, you should use it as a defensive round. You want ammo that works and just because a le agency uses it doesn't mean it is one of the better rounds out there. There are many agencies out there that buy the equipment they do based on budget concerns primarily, not what is necessarily the best.

Additionally, there are also agencies that will continue to do things the way they have always done it because that's the way it's been done; it doesn't mean it is correct. I saw that during my career in some respects and I worked for the largest sheriff's dept. in the country.

I would offer an excellent website to go to view what I believe is excellent scientific evidence of various brands in various calibers that do the job well, but I have done so in the past and tho I may be wrong, I have gotten the impression it wasn't really wanted, so I won't unless asked. There are those who believe all experts, real and supposed, are merely trying to sell something when they say certain brands are the best. I'm certainly not going to change their minds, nor will I try. I'm just urging those looking for an excellent defensive pistol round, however good pistol rounds can really be, just don't let cost influence their choice; after all, it's your and yours life/lives.

I will now climb down from the soap box.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I must agree with retired. It's not like you use those rounds to shoot with everyday.

What I would like to carry are Winchester Ranger Talon's (which, if I am not mistaken, is what retired carries). Those bullets kick ass.

http://www.outdoormarksman.com/product_info.php?cPath=65_1_28&products_id=407

Those rounds cost $45 for 20. Now, being that I just said what I did, I truly cannot afford those. However, what I will carry when I get them are Federal Premium Self Defense Rounds, 135gr, Hydra Shocks, $11 for 20.

http://www.outdoormarksman.com/product_info.php?cPath=65_1_28&products_id=199

·
Registered
169 Posts
my concealed handgun class teacher told me i shouldnt use hollowpoints and that i should only use fmj's becasue a hollowpoint make it look like ur out to kill instead of stop. im like wtf? anyone agree?

·
Registered
138 Posts
I use federal HST 124 grain...

I also have a box of 124 grain Gold Dots that I am totally comfortable with.

When I find a good price, the remington golden sabers are very nice as well.

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
I must agree with retired. It's not like you use those rounds to shoot with everyday.

What I would like to carry are Winchester Ranger Talon's (which, if I am not mistaken, is what retired carries). Those bullets kick ass.

http://www.outdoormarksman.com/product_info.php?cPath=65_1_28&products_id=407
Wow...that's just ridiculous. The current Winchester Ranger ammo that is being produced now is excellent ammo and it's about $18.50 per 50. Anyone who's paying $45 for old black talon ammo is being ripped off and buying into hype.

I'm comfortable with Win. Ranger in any size and weight, gold dots or Rem. Gold. Saber. I usually go for a heavier 147gr load because I carry the subcompact and the 147 gr bullets have a wider window of expansion.

brad cook

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
brandon14295 said:
my concealed handgun class teacher told me i shouldnt use hollowpoints and that i should only use fmj's becasue a hollowpoint make it look like ur out to kill instead of stop. im like wtf? anyone agree?
Where the hell did you find that guy?

·
Registered
398 Posts
The Tengu said:
brandon14295 said:
Where the hell did you find that guy?
No kidding. :shock: They'll let anyone be an instructor these days.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I've had good luck with Golden Sabers over the years. I like the crimped nose design, never had a FTF in any gun i've ever put them through. Personally I don't think it matters much, as long as you're using a reputable proven HP design and have tested it in your gun for reliability.

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Hydra-Shoks and Speer Gold Dots here!
Indiana State Police has tested various rounds, and have stuck with issuing Gold Dots...I won't argue with the pros.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts