Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am probably taking my class on the 26th of this month and was hoping that you guys might have some suggestions in preperation for it. Perahaps some helpful websites I might want to check out or if there are any dry fire drills I might do. Any input would be appreciated.

thanks

·
Registered
109 Posts
Well, my CCW class was called First STEPS pistol through an NRA-sponsored teacher. Basically we were told not to bring any ammo and a gun isn't necessary as he had several. After the safety class we hit the range and shot a .22, .38, 9mm and .45.

There's absolutely no preparation for the first class. Even if you've never handled a firearm before, you're fine. They plan for this and teach accordingly. Shoot we had a girl take the class that was a vegetarian and (former) anti-gun. Completely scared of the thing, but I guess something happened to her to need a firearm. Turns out she shot better than all of us guys.

One thing you really want to do is KEEP YOUR FINGER OFF THE TRIGGER. Make a habit to straighten that index finger over the guard. Pay attention to what they say in class.

Now this is for the Virginia CWP, so yours is probably more involved.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
one-eyed-fatman said:
Go take your shooting test before the classroom starts. That will save you a couple of hours.
yeah, if the class is big enough they will split it into 2 groups. go with the first shooting group, you spend less time in the classroom and its cooler in the mornings.

as for the book/written material; its a breeze, just pay attention to what the instructors say. they basicaly go over all the written stuff and put it all into perspective... make it easier to understand.

the only thing that i did for preperation was read the handbook, you can read it only at the texas CHL website.

BTW: where are you taking it at?

·
Registered
782 Posts
If you can keep your groupings within about two feet at 15 yards you'll have no problem getting a perfect score on the shooting. Other than that, I would also recommend reading up on the statutes yourself. That will serve you better than the class. During my class a bunch of knuckleheads wasted a lot of time with stupid what-if scenarios and technicalities that I already knew the answers to having read the laws myself. The brief overview you get of the law, if it was the only exposure you had, would probably leave you pretty unclear and confused on a few issues.

·
Banned
11,479 Posts
You can do your shooting test days before you get in the classroom. If you shoot by yourself it will take about 5 minutes. If you shoot with the class about 1 to 2 hours. Find out if you have to sit on steel chairs. If you do take a pillow with you, my ass was sore for two days........

·
Registered
398 Posts
First, do NOT load your magazines in advance. My instructor only wanted as much ammo as was required for each string.

Go to wherever you plan on taking the class and get the "shooters course" instructions and go practice on your own.

Take or rent an auto unless you only plan on carrying a revolver ONLY. If you qualify with a wheel gun then that's all you'll be licensed to carry but if you qualify with an auto you can carry either.

Find out in advance if you need to bring your own ammo too. My class required 50 rounds.

Finally, don't even think about getting out early. The 10 hours is required by the state.

·
Registered
885 Posts
dolanp said:
If you can keep your groupings within about two feet at 15 yards you'll have no problem getting a perfect score on the shooting. .
True.
I found the shooting portion to be quite easy. I think the lowest score in my class was ~230 out of a possible 250. Most people scored in the high 230's and 240's. If you want to practice for it, the best advice I can offer is to shoot 50 rds for center of mass on a life-sized silhouette target from 15 yds. If all of your shots are within 8" of CoM, you should have no problems passing.
No matter how much you prepare, you will likely be nervous when it comes time to actually test out.
Good luck...don't sweat it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
They are offering the class at American Shooting Center on the 26th of this month, for all of you Houstonians.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
LX said:
They are offering the class at American Shooting Center on the 26th of this month, for all of you Houstonians.
cool... you should have Mr. Burton and some other dude that has long hair as your instructors. Burton is a cool guy, he like to BS. that class is easy and fun, you should have no prob with it.

·
Registered
885 Posts
one-eyed-fatman said:
LX said:
Most places charge 70.00 to 100.00 bucks. ASC charges 150.00.

Sportsmans Outlet in Humble charges $100. Includes everything but ammo. They'll even let you borrow a pistol, eyes, and ears.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
one-eyed-fatman said:
LX said:
Most places charge 70.00 to 100.00 bucks. ASC charges 150.00.
i know people that have taken the "other corses" and they didnt speak highly of them. my uncle took one of the "other guy's" corses and he said, that he ended up in this guys private bunker with rebel flags and loads of weapons/ammo everywhere "taking" this "class".

anyhow, its your money, you spend it they way you want. i took it at ASC and dont regret spending the $50 extra. if you can, go with a friend, it makes time go by faster.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts