Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I took my new XD9sc to the range and put about 200 rounds through it today. Came home to clean it and found this:

It looks like it's chipped around the very end of the barrel, but I can't imagine how. The "chips" are where the recessed portions of the rifling meet the end. That makes me think it's some kind of buildup. I guess I could just use the bronze brush on it and find out, but I wanted to ask first if anyone has seen this. I never have, not even on any of my XDs.

Ideas?

·
Banned
38,920 Posts
Hard to tell by the picture, but clean it real good ... It's probably just bullet residue.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think it is lead. I can't get it off though.

·
Banned
38,920 Posts
Soak it for a few minutes in some solvent, then use your fingernail, or the plastic cap from a ball-point pen, and see if you can dislodge it.

Your fingernail will help you determine if it is build-up, or a chip ... You'll be able to feel the difference.

And unless you use something that is as hard as the barrel, you'll not mess up the crown of the barrel.

Scrap it off ... But I'll bet a good soaking will do the trick, and minimize your effort.

Put a shot glass with some solvent into the bottom of a larger glass (for barrel stability), then place the muzzle end of the barrel in the solvent.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Soak it for a few minutes in some solvent, then use your fingernail, or the plastic cap from a ball-point pen, and see if you can dislodge it.

Your fingernail will help you determine if it is build-up, or a chip ... You'll be able to feel the difference.

And unless you use something that is as hard as the barrel, you'll not mess up the crown of the barrel.

Scrap it off ... But I'll bet a good soaking will do the trick, and minimize your effort.

Put a shot glass with some solvent into the bottom of a larger glass (for barrel stability), then place the muzzle end of the barrel in the solvent.
Thank you for the advice. I can tell that it is buildup by scraping my finger nail across it. Will solvent affect the finish?

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys. I've never had any buildup like this so I've never had to figure out a solution. Thank goodness for this active forum. Thanks again!

·
Registered
18,141 Posts
is this from shooting lead bullets and not jacketed?

the only lead bullets I have fired were federal .22's and I didn't get anything like that.

·
Banned
38,920 Posts
Thank you for the advice. I can tell that it is buildup by scraping my finger nail across it. Will solvent affect the finish?
Not unless you use something that is acid based, and I know of no gun cleaning solvent that is acid based, at a level that will cause harm to a steel barrel.

FWIW,
I've soaked barrels for weeks, in Hoppes #9 (actually just it's equal, as I stopped buying the stuff, once I found out what was in it).

1 - 11 of 11 Posts