Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, all.

I was cleaning my XD-40 Tactical after a particularly productive range session last night, when I noticed this:

I just got off the phone with Springfield, and they want me to send the entire pistol in. I offered to send just the locking block to them for verification so they could just mail me a replacement locking block, but no dice. They quoted a turnaround time of four weeks. AAARRRRGH!!!

DL

·
Registered
9,959 Posts
I sent you a PM

Berretas have a locking block service life of 5000 rounds of 9mm. How many would you estimate have been through your XD. I will comend you though that your routene maintenceof your pistol you were able to spot the problem

·
Premium Member
3,601 Posts
hmmmm, the other side is starting to crack too.

·
Registered
813 Posts
probably a situation of a bad batch of steel. Reason they would want the entire gun is to make sure that the rest of the pistol's metal isn't fatigued. Better safe than sorry though. Send the whole thing back and you will most likely end up with a new pistol.

Unfortunately this happens with any manufactured product.

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
I saw an XD-9 like this last week. Same story with Springfield... they want the whole gun.

In fact, Springfield wants my entire gun just to replace my recoil assembly, even though I have 10,000+ rounds through my XD.

They want to "check it out" just to replace the stupid recoil springs.

Springfield Armory is losing points with me. First they have stupid rules for warranty service, a crappy finish, and now they're raising their prices.

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
Do us a favor and post your serial # range, (eg. XYZ12300-12400) or a "sterile" number (eg. XYZ123XX) that gets us within 100 or so of your gun.

I SFA ran a bum batch of XD40's, I'd like to know where it was.

I know what you mean, Tengu. Lotsa guys with SFA 1911's are fed up, too. I'm about to go back to the 1911 myself, and when I do there's 99.9% odds it'll be a Colt.

·
Registered
813 Posts
The Tengu said:
I saw an XD-9 like this last week. Same story with Springfield... they want the whole gun.

In fact, Springfield wants my entire gun just to replace my recoil assembly, even though I have 10,000+ rounds through my XD.

They want to "check it out" just to replace the stupid recoil springs.

Springfield Armory is losing points with me. First they have stupid rules for warranty service, a crappy finish, and now they're raising their prices.
Perfect example of why I like their warrenty. They want to make sure that nothing else is faulty. Imagine if they just asked for the broken assembly, sent you back a new one, you put it in and bam, something else breaks due to the recoil assembly having failed previously. You would be more pissed then wouldn't you?

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
The recoil assembly is FINE.

I just want to replace under warranty after over ten thousand rounds.

Is that too much to ask?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Son of Norway said:
Yow, that looks like a bummer. What kind of ammo?
Reduced power handloads (155 gr. Rainier TMJ-FN, 5.6 gr. Universal, OAL 1.140", approx. velocity 1050 fps).

ajamesp51 said:
How many would you estimate have been through your XD.
I would estimate approximately 15,000 rounds, without a single jam or misfeed of any kind.

invssgt said:
Do us a favor and post your serial # range, (eg. XYZ12300-12400) or a "sterile" number (eg. XYZ123XX) that gets us within 100 or so of your gun.

US4014XX.

I would be interested to know more about this possible bad batch of XD-40s.

DL

·
Registered
821 Posts
invssgt said:

I know what you mean, Tengu. Lotsa guys with SFA 1911's are fed up, too. I'm about to go back to the 1911 myself, and when I do there's 99.9% odds it'll be a Colt.
Perhaps we should start a serial number sticky?
That may help identify problem series Xd`s or give us
a way to identify the various series of Xd`s. Just an idea.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Shipping your pistol back to SA evertime it breaks is all fine and good, but $40 to ship it and the hassle that FedEx likes to give over someone not being on "their list"...(yes I know rediculous) almost makes it not worth it.

If they've got the money for extra manpower to recieve those boxes, the gunsmiths to work on the pistols, I think they'd be able to cut a deal with FedEx too.

Burns me more when you get a new pistol (like mine) and the extractor was frigged up from day 1 and you guessed it, I had to send it in, $40 more down the drain to fix something they should've caught before it left the factory.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Just curious, how many times has the recoil spring been changed in the 15K of rounds? I have been told to change the spring around every 2K...FWIW DougC

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
DougC said:
Just curious, how many times has the recoil spring been changed in the 15K of rounds? I have been told to change the spring around every 2K...FWIW DougC
Is that true? I have just under 2k rounds through this pistol, and I have not heard anyone say that it should be replaced. I have considered getting a new Don's Guide rod for performance sake, but I had not considered that my factory recoil spring assembly would need to be systematically replaced.

Raymond

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
DougC said:
Shortly after acquiring my Tactical in July of 2002, I installed a 24 lb. Wolff recoil spring in it, and have never replaced it since. Like you, I was told to replace the recoil spring every few thousand rounds, but it takes the same amount of effort now to rack the slide as it did when the spring was new, and brass is still thrown the same distance.

In other words, the recoil spring has not weakened appreciably after shooting about 15,000 rounds. I'm stumped on this one, but shan't complain.

DL

·
Registered
24 Posts
My service 9mm had the same problem a few months ago. My chip was even a bit larger. Caused my trigger finger to bleed at the range. Didn't know why until I got home to clean it and found the damaged part. I called Springfield and they sent me a new locking block. Replaced it myself. I guess I either got lucky or they've since designated it as a factory replacement part. I didn't even have to send them the old one. My XD only had around 750 rounds max. through it at the time.

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
ampleworks said:
Shipping your pistol back to SA evertime it breaks is all fine and good, but $40 to ship it and the hassle that FedEx likes to give over someone not being on "their list"...(yes I know rediculous) almost makes it not worth it.

If they've got the money for extra manpower to recieve those boxes, the gunsmiths to work on the pistols, I think they'd be able to cut a deal with FedEx too.

Burns me more when you get a new pistol (like mine) and the extractor was frigged up from day 1 and you guessed it, I had to send it in, $40 more down the drain to fix something they should've caught before it left the factory.
When I shipped my XD-9 to them for extactor repairs (also dead from day 1) they gave me their account number so I could ship by UPS for free. The extractor does seem to be the weak link in the XD system. I had mine serviced by SA and it stopped working within 1000 rounds afterwards again. I was going to sell it but my local gunsmith talked me to lettting him fix it. The fix consisted of 1) increasing the positive camber on the extractor hook 2) tuning the extractor tension. It took my local smith only a week and he did not charge me for it as he felt bad since I bought the gun at his shop. He likes to back what he sells. I have put 1000+ round through it since and it works great now. Thought you would like a heads up to possible fix, I figured you local smith should not cost more then shipping it to SA and may get the job done faster. I agree, it is something the factory should not let slip through. Personally I think it would be best if the design was modified for an external extractor. The 1911 type extractors have always been a bit finicky.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hello, all.

My apologies for resurrecting this old thread, but I thought I would mention that a replacement locking block arrived from Springfield today. My beloved Tactical is back together, and all is well with the world. :D

Springfield had requested that I send them the entire pistol, but I took a chance and sent them just the damaged LB. I was prepared to send them the rest of the pistol if they insisted, but to my pleasant surprise, the replacement LB arrived in the mail today.

The replacement LB is obviously used, but I am not complaining. I did notice that the letter "F" is stamped on the top of the LB, just ahead of the starboard rail. A production code, perhaps?

DL

1 - 20 of 21 Posts