Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know we'll all be dead of old age before it fails, but who's got a "lifetime" figure on the polymer of the frame? Is it 100 years? 1000? Would the gun last longer if it were made of steel (assuming equal care in both cases)?

·
Registered
8,566 Posts
Polymer is just fancy talk for plastic in this case. All polymer means is a repeating structural pattern of molecules.

I know that you'd be long gone before a polymer frame broke down.

Give it long enough and someone will google it for you, then pass off the info as their own, thus sounding smart over the internet! :D

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
Polymer is just fancy talk for plastic in this case. All polymer means is a repeating structural pattern of molecules.

I know that you'd be long gone before a polymer frame broke down.

Give it long enough and someone will google it for you, then pass off the info as their own, thus sounding smart over the internet! :D
Let me google that for you

lol

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
haha I like that

·
Premium Member
28,487 Posts
Part of me says that if your XD frame is stored properly in a landfill it will last for several hundred years.

At least that's what I learned in elementary school.

Here's an interesting tidbit. While "polyethylenes don't biodegrade they do photodegrade". I think a few other plastics work similarly. Ultraviolet radiation breaks down the plastics as I believe oils and petroleum distillates will too.
http://www.slate.com/id/2169287/nav/navoa/

I'll even add that according to some sources if you put your XD in a vacuum sealed bag and bury it in a landfill future generations will be able to experience your XD because according to the above article landfills do a better job of mummifying your trash then they do breaking it down.

·
Registered
7,507 Posts
A steel gun can last for literally thousands of years with care and protection from oxidization. You will wear it out, but it won't break due to age alone.

Polymer will break down from exposure to UV energy, so the grip will eventually crack then turn to dust as the cross linkages of the polymer are broken. The grip being the part exposed by OC. The other way polymer will fail is by exposure to cosmic rays and other radiations. UV is a much higher density radiation for most of us that don't work in nuke plants or live in northern Japan. So, keeping polymer gun covered and out of the sun will extend its life. But I'm not worried about it as even the older plastic stocks on the first M16 have not failed yet.

·
Banned
38,920 Posts
A steel gun can last for literally thousands of years with care and protection from oxidization. You will wear it out, but it won't break due to age alone.

Polymer will break down from exposure to UV energy, so the grip will eventually crack then turn to dust as the cross linkages of the polymer are broken. The grip being the part exposed by OC. The other way polymer will fail is by exposure to cosmic rays and other radiations. UV is a much higher density radiation for most of us that don't work in nuke plants or live in northern Japan. So, keeping polymer gun covered and out of the sun will extend its life. But I'm not worried about it as even the older plastic stocks on the first M16 have not failed yet.
Yea, and with today's highly over-engineered plastics ... It should last about 10,000 years or more, if you take care of it ;)

It's like the plastic picnic fork ... Designed to be used for minutes, then, more often than not, they get buried in a landfill.
Sealed away from the Sun ... +10,000 years, or ... Who really knows how long the damn thing will last.

G

·
A very, very long time. As far as an exact figure, I don't know. I feel that there are too many variables to account for. However, if you buried the frame in your backyard and some future human dug it up 5,000 years later, I wouldn't be surprised to see it still intact.

One thing you have to understand is that not all plastics are alike, and that not all polymers are like ziploc bags or tupperware containers. The polymers used in poly guns is really some very strong, very resilient stuff. Probably some of the toughest polymers available. Think about not just the physical stresses it has to withstand, again and again, but the temperatures (both hot and cold), as well as gun solvents, oils, sweat, rain, etc.

this is one area where perhaps we've had too much success. Many of our polymers last a long, long time under harsh conditions, but obviously, don't just degrade away like paper and glass can. In developing countries, you'll often find a pile of plastic wrappers and bags behind people's houses, because they have no formal trash service, and they're used to just throwing out paper containers, banana peels, etc behind their houses - which all biodegrade eventually. But obviously, plastic is another creature.

But anyway, in that strange, acid-air, toxic soil SHTF world people talk about, I'd rather have a poly frame pistol. I think it'd hold up better over time than steel. That's not to knock steel, thoguh. In the world as it is now, though, I wouldn't hesitate with either based on just longevity and toughness alone.

·
Registered
1 Posts
One of the guys I work with had a plastic helmet that was about 20 years old. He was keeping it to show off for being a original hard hat from when the plant first opened. He went to pick it up and it broke. It was very brittle and was crumbling. To the defense of polymer guns, I think they will last a long time but not long enough for your kids to enjoy.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
A very, very long time. As far as an exact figure, I don't know. I feel that there are too many variables to account for. However, if you buried the frame in your backyard and some future human dug it up 5,000 years later, I wouldn't be surprised to see it still intact.

One thing you have to understand is that not all plastics are alike, and that not all polymers are like ziploc bags or tupperware containers. The polymers used in poly guns is really some very strong, very resilient stuff. Probably some of the toughest polymers available. Think about not just the physical stresses it has to withstand, again and again, but the temperatures (both hot and cold), as well as gun solvents, oils, sweat, rain, etc.

this is one area where perhaps we've had too much success. Many of our polymers last a long, long time under harsh conditions, but obviously, don't just degrade away like paper and glass can. In developing countries, you'll often find a pile of plastic wrappers and bags behind people's houses, because they have no formal trash service, and they're used to just throwing out paper containers, banana peels, etc behind their houses - which all biodegrade eventually. But obviously, plastic is another creature.

But anyway, in that strange, acid-air, toxic soil SHTF world people talk about, I'd rather have a poly frame pistol. I think it'd hold up better over time than steel. That's not to knock steel, thoguh. In the world as it is now, though, I wouldn't hesitate with either based on just longevity and toughness alone.
Not trying to be offensive, but glass doesn't break down. I work with glass on the daily, being a glass blower by trade of lamp working. People have found Egyptian glass, not broken, and with some of the same designs we make today. Glass takes thousands of years to break down.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Ask any ecowacko, it'll last tens of thousands of years in a land fill. I just hope mine outlasts the wackjobs.

·
Registered
7,507 Posts
Why are some people storing their weapons in landfills?

·
Administrator
22,462 Posts
I think steel can take more abuse than plastic. Unless you have a good paint on the metal it will not outlast a plastic gun. Both are good for normal applications though.

·
Registered
8,351 Posts
I think steel can take more abuse than plastic. Unless you have a good paint on the metal it will not outlast a plastic gun. Both are good for normal applications though.
I think polymer takes more abuse. They seem to hand kabooms much better than alloy or steel guns. I believe there are glocks with original frames at the factory with over 1 million rounds through them.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts