Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
3,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went to LGS today to check out a Glock 42...I like 380's for some reason and I figured I'd try to pick up the new glock...while I was there the guy talked me into shooting the Sig 238...I've always liked them but can't get past the price these things are going for...I shot one and really liked it...So I walked out with nothing cause I went in for the g42 and I didn't want to make a snap decision without thinking about it for a day or so...I'll probably just go back and get the glock 42 @$399, cause the sig 238 is a whopping $677 with tax !!!:eek: Jeez...I can get a real 1911 for that much..Why are these things so much ? I can't see paying that kind of money for a 380...I gotta admit It was nice though...

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
Take a look at a Kahr CW380. I had a Sig 238 and while it is a nice shooter I really like the Kahr better. Just vanishes in your pocket or on the hip

Priced right over 300 it is easy on the pocket too

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
18,061 Posts
Second the Kahr, but might also look at the Colt Mustang XSP.

Sent from the county jail.

·
Registered
5,287 Posts
LCP w/CT loaded with Gold Dots for me. Times 2. ;)

·
Registered
18,867 Posts
The Sig 238 is an excellent gun, I've owned and carried one for years. The Kahr is also an excellent 380.

I think your LGS is charging way too much in this market for a 238. KY Gun Co has one for 463 (credit card price). Free shipping, no taxes unless you live in KY, you just have to pay a transfer fee (usually 20 bucks).

Sig Sauer P238 Sports 12 380 ACP Pistol 2.7" Nitron TFO Front Sight 6 Round

·
Registered
9,903 Posts
I like .380s too: as b/u, tackle-box guns, and even for plinking. But I refuse to pay more than $400 for one. My favorite so far has been a Bersa Thunder...good shooter, tolerant of dubious ammo, and even has some aftermarket support. I may check out the Kahr and LCP.

·
Registered
804 Posts
Many of the 238s I've handled are nice. Some, not so much. The Sig is comfortable to shoot. Recent specimens have felt inconsistent to me. Some triggers/controls are significantly heavier than others. If you get a good one, you should be good to go. Handle the actual one you want before you buy, IMO. I'm also not a big fan of switching platforms between SAO "cocked & locked" and striker fire w/ no safety for my set of carry guns. One or the other. Especially in a gun designed to be pocket carried.

My two current favorite 380s are the G42 and the Kahr CW380. Size, thickness and weight are the only advantages to this otherwise anemic caliber. Unless I'm lazy, there is very little reason to carry a 380. Unfortunately, I have become lazier. Size-wise, the Glock is just plain bigger (longer substantially) than the Kahr.

The Sig is not a bad choice. Sometimes I find myself wanting to replace all my striker fired guns with SAO, hammer fired platforms. They are nice to shoot, and do so easily. I may start with a range toy and see the results.

·
Registered
8,351 Posts
I think the kahr p380 is the best micro one made. Low recoil for its size and far more accurate than most. Almost as accurate as my sig p232

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

·
Banned
0 Posts
I am a fan of the G42

·
Premium Member
8,923 Posts
I almost bought the Kahr CW380, but it was almost too small for me. It bit me a couple of times when I was trying it out and I wasn't sure. I shot the BodyGuard 380 which is a little larger, but fit my hands much better. I don't really like the trigger on the BodyGuard though. It's weird to me. I then compared the Kahr CM9 with the BodyGuard and they are almost the same size. So, for the size of a BodyGuard, I got a 9mm. Much easier to find ammo for the 9mm and cheaper!

I will admit that the Kahr CM9 doesn't seem to fit as easily in my cargo shorts as I had hoped. If you are looking for something small, I would say the 380. I'm still thinking about picking one up for those days I really need something small. It will fit fine in a jacket pocket though if I need. Just my $.02.

·
Premium Member
30,890 Posts
FWIW, I'm happy with my LCP, picked up new for just under $300 a few years back.

·
Premium Member
3,539 Posts
I really like the Kahr 380 as well. If I'm ever in the 380 market again, it will be the Kahr. The Glock is nice but is a large pistol for such a small round. Imho

·
Registered
19,923 Posts
Which on the flip side, usually results in less felt recoil and muzzle flip. It's not a giant gun by any means, more in line with most of the subcompact 9mms on the market.

A similar option to look at would also be the Ruger LC380

·
Premium Member
4,437 Posts
No one mentioned the bodyguard 380??? ffs all the other mentioned kahr, glock) are about the same size as my 9mm shield. why would anyone want a 380 the same size as a 9mm or a 40 cal for that matter??

·
Premium Member
3,539 Posts
Yeah Mike. I really like my SW Bodyguard as well. Thats a shooter too. Im hoping wifey finally takes it over freeing up a new 380 in my rotation.

·
Premium Member
876 Posts
I looked at the current crop of .380's and none of them fit my hand...{I do have larger hands} and just did not have the control that I wanted. Ended up with a Kahr PM9. Not much larger than most .380's, but has a full 9mm. Mine has been perfectly reliable and has handled any ammunition I have fed it.

Bowser

·
Premium Member
4,437 Posts
Yeah Mike. I really like my SW Bodyguard as well. Thats a shooter too. Im hoping wifey finally takes it over freeing up a new 380 in my rotation.
I have the newer m&p version with no laser and really like it. It serves its role as a pocket pistol REALLY well!

·
Registered
804 Posts
No one mentioned the bodyguard 380??? ffs all the other mentioned kahr, glock) are about the same size as my 9mm shield. why would anyone want a 380 the same size as a 9mm or a 40 cal for that matter??

What are you talking about? The CM9? The CW380 is actually a little smaller than the Bodyguard (in all but .1 in height).

The stats: (Bodyguard/Kahr)

Length: 5.25/4.96
Height: 3.78/3.9
Width: .79/.75
Weight: 12.0/11.4

As big a Shield? Mmmm Hmmm.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts